Trump General Discussion VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great moment of levity too from Lil' Marco.

https://youtu.be/kepdzLUNE64

3 weeks into his term we are on Trump VII surpassing Obama V 8 years on.

Interesting food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Yea cause Obama wasn't a flaming asshole

Food for thought. You elected a mentally unstable douchebag.

Give me a break.
Why don't you give everyone else a break? Speaking in generalities like you know how people think. Slamming anyone to the left of center. Dragging on and on the Bernie conversation. This is the shit that convinces me there's little hope of any real progress when people on the extremes of both sides act so aggressively and yell so loudly that they don't care to hear what the majority actually think or care about.

I'm not coming at this on the offensive, by the way, it's just REALLY frustrating and disheartening for me to see this so often, not just fron you.

Why don't you give everyone else a break? Speaking in generalities like you know how people think. Slamming anyone to the left of center. Dragging on and on the Bernie conversation. This is the shit that convinces me there's little hope of any real progress when people on the extremes of both sides act so aggressively and yell so loudly that they don't care to hear what the majority actually think or care about.

I'm not coming at this on the offensive, by the way, it's just REALLY frustrating and disheartening for me to see this so often, not just fron you.
Did you once again miss the part where I said "Republican politician" and not Republican voters? Because unless that is what happened I have no idea what you are talking about.

"People who say they liked him are the ones who just care about rhetoric."

I'm talking about statements like this.

While Trump is being made to look a fool on the other side the Democrats are being looked at as obstructionists.

GxrKQLu.jpg

Kasich just turned me off as he was more establishment then I liked....

I see. So instead you voted for the anti-establishment working man's hero Donald Trump.

If Trump drops the Corporate Tax to 15-20% among other Pro-Growth policies he could tweet 'The Hokey-Pokey' every morning until he wins reelection.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

... said the German worker.

So our president wants to renegotiate START but has to ask his aids what START is?

This is a fucking joke. This is why you need some level of competence to hold office. Have some basic understanding of foreign policy, domestic policy, law, business, economics, sanity

Trump has displayed none of this. He's attacked all levels of government. He's attacked businesses, he's attacked human rights.

All in three weeks. The only silver lining I can see is that with the amount of lies they spew daily, it's brought a focus on the truth/facts that seemed to be hidden for a long time. People may be waking up out of their "feelings fog " and start to pay attention.

Apparently he was contemplating at 3am one night whether a strong US Dollar was good for the economy, or a weak. He couldn't figure it out so who did he call? No, not quite the Ghostbusters, but Gen. "I see dead conspiracies" Flynn. Who at least was honest enough to tell him he didn't know and an Economist might be a good person to ask.

Holding my BA Econ. proudly I can confidently tell him: It depends. :)

No kidding! In other shocking news, Erdogan says some journalists are definitely terrorists, too. Putin didn't say anything, he just poisoned them.

What's the news here? That Yahoo isn't contextualising? That they are quoting Assad as if he was some independent authority on the issue?

Yes, there are terrorists among refugees. There are also rapists and thieves among refugees. About three percent of refugees are criminal. About three percent of any given society are criminal. And among these refugees are also people who fought for Assad, as part of the Shabiha militias for example, or in the regular armed forces.

And again, maybe at some point it will get through: The US resettlement process for refugees is such that it deters any potential terrorists from even attempting to get to the States this way. You are punishing a million for fear of the one (not to mention the fact that the US is only going to resettle less than one percent of refugees from Syria). If they want to get out of the region, they'll try trekking to Europe. Or do it in Turkey.

This ban is an effective measure to make people even more suspicious of refugees, and of Muslims in general. Which, on the other hand, ignores that Syria and Iraq are multi-ethnic, multi-religious countries and the ban affects religious groups such as Christians, Yazidi and those you've never heard of.

Another effect is that now a person like Khameini is getting respected for his characterisation of the US. Job well done!

In defence of bloodysunday972, much like Trump, he probably doesn't have a clue who Assad is.
Trump probably thinks it's the newest Volkswagen model.

In defence of bloodysunday972, much like Trump, he probably doesn't have a clue who Assad is.
Trump probably thinks it's the newest Volkswagen model.

I must say, though, his assessment of the issue of tribalism being a little understood element in the conflicts in Iraq and Syria was pretty spot on.

What I can't wrap my mind around is the dissonance between acknowledging the complex, multi-faceted nature of these conflicts, followed up by awfully generalising statements a la "Muslims are...".

I don't have enough time to go through each and every single quote you cited, no doubt from a right wing site, as the quotes were taken grossly out of context and were blatant exaggerations, but I'll attempt to contextualize one that stood out:

You mentioned one about Mohammed saying 'oh kill all the prisoners of war you can find, behead every single one of those m******f******!!!' (Not really, but that's what the translation roughly said... and Sean Hannity :D )

Now, that was not in fact a Quranic quote, I believe, but a Hadith. It was part of Mohammed's last sermon, which he delivered before his death. It was:

'O men (mankind in general, not precisely men) you still have in your possession some prisoners of war. I advise you, therefore, to feed them and to clothe them in the same way and style as you feed and clothe yourselves. If they do anything wrong which you are unable to forgive, then pass them on to someone else. They are part of God’s creation. To give them pain or cause them suffering can never be right. O men, what I say to you, you must hear and remember. All Muslims are as brethren to one another. All of you are equal. All men, whatever nation or tribe they may belong to, and whatever
station in life they may hold are equal. (Raising his hands, and joining the fingers of the one hand with those of the other, he added). Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, any superiority to claim over another. You are as brothers. O men, your God is One and your ancestor is one. An Arab possesses no superiority over a non-Arab, nor does a non-Arab over an Arab. A white man is in no way superior to a black nor for that matter, neither is a black man better than a white, but only to the extent to which he discharges his duty to God and man. The most honoured among you in the sight of God is the most righteous among you . . . .Even as this month is sacred, this land inviolate, and this day holy, so has God made the lives, property and honour.'

As someone mentioned, what I think and believe of the texts and Hadiths is my opinion, and rightfully so, I agree. However, we cannot account for imbeciles who take texts talking about being good and forgiving and etc, (the same stuff that all religions preach) and taking it to mean something different entirely.

This was also over 1438 years ago. And Arabic can't be directly translated into English, without losing its context.

Same goes for the '72 virgins' bs. There's not a single sentence in the Quran which mentions 72 virgins, or any virgin at all waiting for anyone. Arabic, like many Indo-European languages, including western languages such as German, has grammatical genders. English does not. Therefore, the sentence has been lost in translation since time immemorial, with people thinking that the Holy Quran has some ridiculous promises included therein.

If it did in fact contain, trust me you'd have far many more people being extremists running around, don't you think?

Can I just point this post out, from a solid academic, a scholar, someone who knows what they're talking about?

don't feed the trolls guys...

i know you just want to educate them, but i think you're wasting your time!

i have decided to no longer engage with trump supporters, because if they can't see thru him at this point, well, what hope is there? so now i waste my time watching funny videos like this one instead :D

the "Scotch" response to Trump - they have him sussed :heart:

https://www.facebook.com/fullfrontalsamb/videos/1973913309502972/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

I think they could have at the very least used a less terrible picture. All this does is highlight his rosacea covered nose.

2rgp1ug.jpg

Yikes.

Last edited:
"People who say they liked him are the ones who just care about rhetoric."

I'm talking about statements like this.
In what way is that inaccurate? Kasich came off well in those debates because he was much politer than the rest, who tried to play at Trump's level and got smoked. It's certainly not because of his policy positions. He's got one of the worst records on abortion in a party famous for it. Remember when Cleveland police begged him before the RNC to temporarily suspend open carry in the city and he refused to maintain the sparkling NRA A-rating? His economic policies are classic GOP: he's one of their top anti-union operatives, he's one of those obsessed with "balanced" budgets over funding important social programs. And he's a neocon who loved the War in Iraq and thinks drones are swell.

He's "better" than Trump, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say he'd be a terrible president who I'd be deeply unhappy with.

In what way is that inaccurate? Kasich came off well in those debates because he was much politer than the rest, who tried to play at Trump's level and got smoked. It's certainly not because of his policy positions. He's got one of the worst records on abortion in a party famous for it. Remember when Cleveland police begged him before the RNC to temporarily suspend open carry in the city and he refused to maintain the sparkling NRA A-rating? His economic policies are classic GOP: he's one of their top anti-union operatives, he's one of those obsessed with "balanced" budgets over funding important social programs. And he's a neocon who loved the War in Iraq and thinks drones are swell.

He's "better" than Trump, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say he'd be a terrible president who I'd be deeply unhappy with.

I think she took issue with you assessment that if you stomach Kasich it's only because he's polite.

Reading the above, truthfully I am not particularly bent out of shape about drones. And I actually believe that we should have balanced budgets - there is a middle ground there. You don't have to cut every social program, but to be blind to the waste in the public sector is irresponsible. Running a deficit makes sense in certain economic times but when there is a boom, you bet that you should balance that budget instead of getting further in the hole.

And no, I don't like Kasich, he comes across as incredibly fake and opportunist to me. I'd have voted for Jeb! over him (much as it makes me nauseous to contemplate a third Bush).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom