Trump General Discussion VII

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
do you reckon he's so crazy he would press the nuclear button just to spite the whole world if he got impeached? i feel so uneasy that the thought has even crossed my mind :ohmy:
There's no actual button.

There's a guy who holds a brief case that contains the codes. These codes have to match up against codes at the nuclear launch facilities before a launch can be activated, but the actual launch would take place at the facility/NORAD/Nebraska/etc.

So how willing if he did lose his mind and did this unthinkable, somebody on the other side would refuse the order, and before he found someone to carry it out hopefully the VP and Cabinet would enact article 4 of the 25th Amendment.

Last edited:
There's no actual button.

There's a guy who holds a brief case that contains the codes. These codes have to match up against codes at the nuclear launch facilities before a launch can be activated, but the actual launch would take place at the facility/NORAD/Nebraska/etc.

So how willing if he did lose his mind and did this unthinkable, somebody on the other side would refuse the order, and before he found someone to carry it out hopefully the VP and Cabinet would enact article 4 of the 25th Amendment.

hopefully :D

It seems alarmist to think that Trump may use nuclear weapons at some point... and I'm sure if any of the Trumpets felt like sticking around and saying anything other than tossing an :up: towards posts not apologising for being racist, they'd say it was ridiculous to even talk about.

But the guy has said some awful things about the use of nukes, and thus far he's followed through on all of the other awful things he's said, so there's that.

MUNICH — The Latest on U.S. Vice President Mike Pence’s trip to Europe (all times local):

6:50 p.m.

Vice President Mike Pence is holding an impromptu meeting with U2 front man Bono, who calls the vice president “the second busiest man on Earth.”

Pence met with the Irish rock star along the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference. Bono offered his appreciation to the vice president for meeting and noted that Pence had twice supported bills in Congress to provide AIDS medication to African nations.

Bono called it an “extraordinary historic accomplishment” and credited Pence with playing a “leading role.” Reporters were then ushered away.

It seems alarmist to think that Trump may use nuclear weapons at some point... and I'm sure if any of the Trumpets felt like sticking around and saying anything other than tossing an :up: towards posts not apologising for being racist, they'd say it was ridiculous to even talk about.

But the guy has said some awful things about the use of nukes, and thus far he's followed through on all of the other awful things he's said, so there's that.

yeah, and it really bothered me when, in an interview during the campaign, he actually refused to ever rule out using nukes on Europe - that was pretty disturbing...

Tread carefully, Bono. I feel like the internet in general is just starting to realize you're not a giant douche.

MUNICH — The Latest on U.S. Vice President Mike Pence’s trip to Europe (all times local):

6:50 p.m.

Vice President Mike Pence is holding an impromptu meeting with U2 front man Bono, who calls the vice president “the second busiest man on Earth.”

Pence met with the Irish rock star along the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference. Bono offered his appreciation to the vice president for meeting and noted that Pence had twice supported bills in Congress to provide AIDS medication to African nations.

Bono called it an “extraordinary historic accomplishment” and credited Pence with playing a “leading role.” Reporters were then ushered away.

that makes me think of the British RSPCA's dog training recommendations - praise effusively for good behaviour and ignore the bad

i'm not sure that works so well :lol:

Tread carefully, Bono. I feel like the internet in general is just starting to realize you're not a giant douche.
Indeed

I mean... I get the implications of working with the American government for the causes he works with, but eventually a line must be drawn.

Trump is that line.

If he sticks with Pence, I mean... that's really not much different than working with Jesse Helms or Ted Cruz or any of the other socially suspect politicians he's dealt with.

Trump tho

Last edited:
i hope B-man takes his gloves off metaphorically and gives him grief - surely this global gag order will have huge implications on his work and everything that's been achieved these past 15 or so years

not to split hairs here, but bono is most definitely a giant douche. a quite likeable one, sure, but i don't think there's any denying that he's been quite the douche in general for at least 40 years. he'd probably tell you that himself.

Indeed

I mean... I get the implications of working with the American government for the causes he works with, but eventually a line must be drawn.

Trump is that line.

If he sticks with Pence, I mean... that's really not much different than working with Jesse Helms or Ted Cruz or any of the other socially suspect politicians he's dealt with.

Trump tho
Pence is pretty far out there with his views. I can understand Bono wanting to work with him for specific causes but part of me cringes at Bono being associated with Pence or even being near him!

So if a politician tries to limit access to HIV meds in his own country (in favor of using those funds to fund conversion therapy instead), he's still ok as long as he votes to send meds to Africa because as a rock star, that's your pet project?

So if a politician tries to limit access to HIV meds in his own country (in favor of using those funds to fund conversion therapy instead), he's still ok as long as he votes to send meds to Africa because as a rock star, that's your pet project?

you can only work with the tools in your tool box and the guy (pence) certainly is a tool

I dunno, if he can make Jesse Helms see the light on obvious shit, maybe Pence doesn't seem like such a hard task.

I don't defend Mike Pence nor do I agree with his social stances.

I do, however, believe him to be a politician. A politician who I have strong disagreements with, but a politician none the less.

Bono has worked with politicians before and changed their mindset. Maybe not all the way to the point where you would respect the other person as a politician, or enough to change the person to the other side, but enough to put funds towards a crucial global goal that otherwise may have been ignored.

I find no fault with Bono trying to work with politicians who have different ideals than he or I do. I actually applaud it, because we have become a country of extremes, fostering a complete inability to compromise on anything... which is partly to blame for the rise of Trump in the first place.

That said... I draw the line at Trump. He is a dangerous potential despot. My attitude towards Bono will change if he ends up palling up with Trump.

Ditto. I'm not going to throw my U2 swag away. But I will be wearing my I Am Disappointed In You face for quite some time.

I suspect Bono knows that Trump probably has very little to do with actual policy, anyway.

This is the guy that allowed an HIV epidemic to run rampant in Indiana. Fuck him and honestly, Fuck Bono for not doing any research into the guy before praising the work he's done with AIDS. I know he needs to deal with politicians, but he doesn't have to praise them. Fuck that noise.

This is the guy that allowed an HIV epidemic to run rampant in Indiana. Fuck him and honestly, Fuck Bono for not doing any research into the guy before praising the work he's done with AIDS. I know he needs to deal with politicians, but he doesn't have to praise them. Fuck that noise.

Yeah when you take away needle exchange programs because you inaccurately believe that it will cut down on IV drug use, despite tons of evidence to prove it just leads to more shared needles, that is what happens. I probably should have mentioned that in my earlier post, I just tend to get a little blinded by rage in regard to the other point.

Also there'd be something to say about the irony in fucking over people in Indiana while being all about AIDS meds for Africa, from someone at the top of an administration relying so much on isolationism and nationalism, but I'm sure that's just me grasping at things to laugh at in an otherwise pretty terrifying climate.

Yeah when you take away needle exchange programs because you inaccurately believe that it will cut down on IV drug use, despite tons of evidence to prove it just leads to more shared needles, that is what happens. I probably should have mentioned that in my earlier post, I just tend to get a little blinded by rage in regard to the other point.

Also there'd be something to say about the irony in fucking over people in Indiana while being all about AIDS meds for Africa, from someone at the top of an administration relying so much on isolationism and nationalism, but I'm sure that's just me grasping at things to laugh at in an otherwise pretty terrifying climate.
I figured it was what you were alluding to, and being a Hoosier myself, I was also pretty blinded by rage, but wanted to make sure everyone else knew.

The irony is almost amusing it's so sickening.

I agree! He can work with them but for the love of god don't praise someone that doesn't deserve it. Bono is just trying to butter him up to get what he wants. I don't think Bono actually means what he said about pence! But regardless I would punch him where it hurts and be tough on Pence! But I can still live with Bono praising Pence (although certainly not happy about it) but if he starts praising trump, that's where I draw the line on the ground.

Last edited:
Speaking of needles and drugs, here in Vancouver we have supervised injection sites where drug addicts go to inject under medical supervision and are provided with clean needles. I think this is a good program here in Vancouver as it reduces the chances of people sharing needles. I don't know at all what places in the states do but despite the fact that the drug addicts will still use under this program, atleast they are in a safe environment and less potential of spreading AIDS and other diseases. I also believe this program also helps drug addicts wing off of hard drugs by having them use safer drugs which may give them a chance to eventually reach sobriety. Here is some info on our programs. Supervised Injection Sites

A lot of talk in Seattle about trying to get a few safe injection sites as well, but who knows if it'll happen.

I hardly see what he said as praising him.

This is what was said...

"Twice on the House floor you defended that. That’s how we know you,” Bono, who has been a vocal proponent of the fight against AIDS, told Pence.

“And we really appreciate it,” he added

In a time where the leader of the free world is declaring any negative press as "fake news" it's pretty crucial to actually research things.

That's not exactly high praise. That's an acknowledgement of a previous thing that wasn't evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom