Trump General Discussion V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This should really be the thing we're all talking about right now.

[TWEET]824725048825147397[/TWEET]

Ummmmm....???

If you want to keeping marching to the center every time, you're more than welcome to have 2016 repeat itself over and over again.

So the far right says we don't compromise and that's why we got here, and the "far left" says we got here because we compromised too much.

Is that about the jist of it?

I still want to hear from our resident libertarian Trump supporters about those federal employee gag orders...

I know it's a complex issue that involves a bit of ideological bending, but I'm just curious.

I still want to hear from our resident libertarian Trump supporters about those federal employee gag orders...

I know it's a complex issue that involves a bit of ideological bending, but I'm just curious.

I'd love to hear any of the Trump supporters here try and justify or explain any of the crap Trump's been pulling the past few days.

Seriously, is there any serious talk from anyone anywhere about trying to get him out of office? 'Cause I'll support any efforts possible. The more I hear, the more scared I become.

I'm not naive enough to think there is only one reason Trump won, but in my view Hillary lost that campaign the minute she decided the best counter to "Make America Great Again" was "America is already great!" The economy as a whole has rebounded, but many, many voters in swing states haven't seen the benefits of that. Income inequality is part of that, the loss of manufacturing jobs to automation is another. And she's extolling the virtues of how great America is. Is that what those voters wanted to hear? It was all they got to hear, in many cases she didn't even bother to campaign in those areas.

Democrats need to recalibrate here in the worst way, and instead all I'm seeing is "Hillary ran a great campaign and nothing could be done to defeat Trump." Which is fucking insane.

From a significant portion of the pundit class, for one. Daou, Marcotte, Eichenwald, Doyle, etc. Primarily in response to legitimate criticisms of Clinton from the left. That's where the whole "Bernie bro" thing started, if you remember.

I thought it was refreshing that she was outright admitting that she considers the left to be a greater threat than the right. I think it sums up the centre/centre-right Democrat pundit class well.

Several months ago few friends discussed their idea that Trump was playing with the press. I was having difficulty understanding why Trump would make some uncalled remark or tweet some wild remark at four in the morning.

On election day I was not convinced he was going to win. Since then I am convinced it is part of the reason he won and he going to keep at.

Trump is playing a master game of chess with the press and many of his loud detractors. It is going to be fun to watch this match. Here are parts I selected from the USA Today opinion piece. It is worth reading in its entirety.

Quotes:

In fact, Trump’s basically gaslighting them. Knowing how much they hate him, he’s constantly provoking them to go over the top. Sean Spicer’s crowd-size remarks on Saturday were all about making them seem petty and negative. (And, possibly, teeing up crowd size comparisons at this Friday’s March For Life, which the press normally ignores but which Trump will probably force them to cover).

They’re taking the bait because they think he’s dumb, and impulsive, and lacking self-control — but he’s the one causing them to act in ways that are dumb and impulsive, and demonstrate lack of self-control. As Richard Fernandez writes on Facebook, they think he’s dumb because they think he has lousy taste…

If the news media actually focused on reporting facts accurately and straightforwardly, on leaving opinion to the pundits, and on giving Trump a clearly fair shake, then Trump’s tactics wouldn’t work, and any actual dirt they found on him would do actual damage. He’s betting on the press being insufficiently mature and self-controlled to manage that. So far, his bet is paying off.

And as long as the press is mindlessly partisan and bereft of self-discipline, capitalizing on that is just good politics.

Trump is playing with the press: Glenn Reynolds

This should really be the thing we're all talking about right now.

[TWEET]824725048825147397[/TWEET]

Ummmmm....???

I can't find anywhere in the article where he actually said what that Tweet says.

Spicer is talking about the GOP tax reform proposal which would impose a border tax (while simultaneously significantly slashing corporate taxes). He is right in the sense that most other nations do impose a VAT-type tax.

Now whether their proposal would be revenue neutral (HAHAHA) or good for the economy (HA) is arguable, but it's not like a completely batshit insane idea, as far as Trump/GOP ideas go.

I hear rents are super cheap in Calgary right now. Now's a good time for Americans to move north and start to diversify that poor city's economy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They are not "super cheap", they're cheaper than in recent years.

But now that we're shippin' the dirty oil south and buildin' them pipelines, watch the real estate prices rise out there again.

You should look at Prince Edward Island if you want to live somewhere beautiful and extraordinarily cheap. Sure there are like 87 feet of snow there in winter, but the summer is amazing.

Who are you referring to? Semi-myself? digitize? Or those folks who irrationally claim to be libertarian on economics but conservative on social issues, entirely defeating the purpose of what a libertarian is?

Several months ago few friends discussed their idea that Trump was playing with the press. I was having difficulty understanding why Trump would make some uncalled remark or tweet some wild remark at four in the morning.

On election day I was not convinced he was going to win. Since then I am convinced it is part of the reason he won and he going to keep at.

Trump is playing a master game of chess with the press and many of his loud detractors. It is going to be fun to watch this match. Here are parts I selected from the USA Today opinion piece. It is worth reading in its entirety.

Quotes:

In fact, Trump’s basically gaslighting them. Knowing how much they hate him, he’s constantly provoking them to go over the top. Sean Spicer’s crowd-size remarks on Saturday were all about making them seem petty and negative. (And, possibly, teeing up crowd size comparisons at this Friday’s March For Life, which the press normally ignores but which Trump will probably force them to cover).

They’re taking the bait because they think he’s dumb, and impulsive, and lacking self-control — but he’s the one causing them to act in ways that are dumb and impulsive, and demonstrate lack of self-control. As Richard Fernandez writes on Facebook, they think he’s dumb because they think he has lousy taste…

If the news media actually focused on reporting facts accurately and straightforwardly, on leaving opinion to the pundits, and on giving Trump a clearly fair shake, then Trump’s tactics wouldn’t work, and any actual dirt they found on him would do actual damage. He’s betting on the press being insufficiently mature and self-controlled to manage that. So far, his bet is paying off.

And as long as the press is mindlessly partisan and bereft of self-discipline, capitalizing on that is just good politics.

I agree that the strategy is to discredit the press in the eyes of his voters, so that when the press reports on his lies and failures, they have a means of dismissing them.

It's clearly working on those who want to believe.

Given that there's an entire cable network giving him talking points, plus a vast and well organized right wing media structure, I'm not quite sure you can say that "they" are "all" against him, or that it's other networks and outlets and not Fox that are "mindless and bereft of self-discipline."

Who are you referring to? Semi-myself? digitize? Or those folks who irrationally claim to be libertarian on economics but conservative on social issues, entirely defeating the purpose of what a libertarian is?

The latter.

I was going to say, I may have libertarian leanings, but I sure as hell hope that I haven't given the impression that I'm a Trump supporter.

Every day is more disturbing than the last.

I can't believe this is all happening.

Quotes:

An interesting article, but I disagree with the chess analogy. What Trump is doing is a big Ponzi/ pyramid scheme. Chess requires strategy, which he has, but it also requires forethought, which he doesn't.

My concern is that after years of labeling everything Orwellian and talking about government overreaching you finally have real examples of Orwellian tactics and government shutting down discussion, and you're absolutely silent. Why?

Is it just because he's Republican?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Or the simple fact is he really has no idea what he's doing. That's certainly the impression the leaks from his aides are giving

Trump is playing a master game of chess with the press and many of his loud detractors.
I think everyone agrees he has been trying to delegitimize the free press so that the only "truth" remaining for the people who choose they will believe Trump no matter what crazy shit he spews is "Trump's Truth™" aka "Alternative Facts".

To call lying and deceipt a a master game of chess is a bit much.
Especially since he's only fooling people who want to be fooled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom