Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
When people of colour talk to me about their experiences and why they still feel like they are on the outs, I listen. And I tend to be deferential to them because as a white woman I have absolutely no right to tell them that they are wrong to feel the way they do.

This is the heart of it, and where "mansplaining" and "whitesplaining" and "straightsplaining" come from -- when you disregard the experience and feelings and facts of lives directly impacted by racism and misogyny in favor of your own interpretations, and the fear of being labeled racist outweighs being the target of racism.

O's post was very "from one white person to another."

Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
BVS - Read the rest of my post. Setting the framework.

Are we going to box ourselves in to the point where a let's say a brilliant white heterosexual male (not me), with a desire to help humanity, challenges a tenant of the Social Justice platform, that they cannot be taken seriously?

(Good conversation all around.)

Not at all what I'm saying, not sure how you got that from my posts.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Old 01-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

O's post was very "from one white person to another."
If that is the definition of -splaining then. . .

You got me!

At the time I was just doing enough language ju-jitsu as one Trump supporter trying not get misunderstood by a plurality Hillary supporters in the thread. I have a pretty good idea of my daily audience in here.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 08:25 AM
I do think there's something there re the media's treatment of Trump's offensive remarks though. Traditional news media firms are in big trouble at the moment. For a lot of them, I suspect Trump and the election race was, from the moment he entered, damn near a lifesaver.
Generating traffic is what they were trying to do, and they did it.
I'm not saying they shouldn't have heavily reported Trump's comments, but I do think it odd they didn't go further with his refusal to release his tax returns. Perhaps stopped covering him until his returns were released?
However, where I feel Oregoropa's point falls over is the fact that this is fucking unprecedented. A presidential candidate, a man who wants to be the representative of all Americans, being a completely horrifying monster to all those he considers weaker than him (everyone other than Putin). You can't lose that context. He said utterly horrific things that had tangible, horrific effects on people who had done nothing to deserve it.

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app
Old 01-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Since we are on the topic of Mansplaining, was wondering if everybody had a chance to see MTV's 2017 New Year's Resolutions for White Guys. Viral Video that got posted to the web by MTV and received unbelievable backlash.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 PM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Since we are on the topic of Mansplaining, was wondering if everybody had a chance to see MTV's 2017 New Year's Resolutions for White Guys. Viral Video that got posted to the web by MTV and received unbelievable backlash.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Explain one portion of that that destroys legitimate outreach.

I mean honestly, after reading your description I was expecting something entirely different.

Yeah, Oregoropa, I'm entirely an unequivocally with BVS on this.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:28 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Explain one portion of that that destroys legitimate outreach.

I mean honestly, after reading your description I was expecting something entirely different.

White males make up 31% of the population. This video makes a broad generalization that 90 million people all act the same way. It is assuming that all 90 million of us make broad generalizations about everybody else. Rank hyprocrisy

The video assumes we are all behaving this way and we need to be corrected. The girl that says find out what mansplaining is. How is her being incredibly condescending about somebody being condescending supposed to work? That is destroying legitimate outreach. Horrible execution towards the target audience.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #39
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Trump General Discussion IV: Unpresidented! Very sad!

Quote:
White males make up 31% of the population. This video makes a broad generalization that 90 million people all act the same way. It is assuming that all 90 million of us make broad generalizations about everybody else. Rank hyprocrisy

The video assumes we are all behaving this way and we need to be corrected. The girl that says find out what mansplaining is. How is her being incredibly condescending about somebody being condescending supposed to work? That is destroying legitimate outreach. Horrible execution towards the target audience.

WOW... you as a majority finally felt the smallest glimpse of what others feel on a daily basis.

This is hands down the best post you ever made. Now you know just a glimpse of how certain portions of this country felt due to Trump's campaign and the GOP in general.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
WOW... you as a majority finally felt the smallest glimpse of what others feel on a daily basis.

This is hands down the best post you ever made. Now you know just a glimpse of how certain portions of this country felt due to Trump's campaign and the GOP in general.

Close but no cigar. Maybe the film maker was going for a whole snarky "We (SJWs) are now the Captain" vibe to piss us off on purpose. Most likely just completely tone deaf, like the democratic leadership. Lost track of what their message was to the working white-class.

This is another example of how ideologies are now hunkering down in self-reinforcing enclaves. This video is a snowglobe-time capsule of the Great American Cultural Rift of 2016.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:00 AM   #41
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsaget77 View Post
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-05-2017, 05:37 AM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:25 PM
Quote:
somebody in a protected class, which I gather is the new PC term for minority.

I just want you to know that this particular line is an incredibly strong display of being a sheep.

Because you sound like literally every Trump supporter on the internet, and we all know you didn't sound like that before.

Internet buzzwords! 😒
Old 01-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #43
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, it's weird; he looks more like Indy and sounds more like Bob. I guess we never really knew him at all.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:33 AM   #44
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Close but no cigar. Maybe the film maker was going for a whole snarky "We (SJWs) are now the Captain" vibe to piss us off on purpose. Most likely just completely tone deaf, like the democratic leadership. Lost track of what their message was to the working white-class.

This is another example of how ideologies are now hunkering down in self-reinforcing enclaves. This video is a snowglobe-time capsule of the Great American Cultural Rift of 2016.

You're the tone deaf one here; this is how you(the collective you) come off every day. And not some in on the joke way like the video, the condescending oblivious tone is sincere.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

I expected some sort of unhinged ranting in that video but honestly what was so offensive about it?

Look, I think that it must suck to be a white male who is a decent person and who supports the rights of minorities and is an inclusive individual and productive member of society in general. I don't doubt that there are white men who understand that they were born on third (not that they hit a triple). But there appear to be many like Oregoropa who are seemingly MUCH more bothered by being told not to mansplain and by being accused of not having enough empathy to understand the plight of those who are not like him than they are by decades and centuries of oppression, prejudice, bigotry and lost opportunity that racialized communities, women, gays, etc have felt. He spends much more time talking about "poor outreach" to white men than he does about the legitimate social ills faced by minority groups. It's pretty offensive when you think about it but this appears to be the essence of the current-day Republican right in the US - changing the conversation until it is they who are actually the victims.