Trump General Discusion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Victory rallies are not fascist at all, guys.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The office of Pakistan's Prime Minister published a readout of the PM's call to Trump.
Every sentence screams "I don't really know who I am talking to right now, so let's say something nice and vague and try to get right through it."

Prime Minister Muhammad Nawaz Sharif called President-elect USA Donald Trump and felicitated him on his victory. President Trump said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif you have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way. I am looking forward to see you soon. As I am talking to you Prime Minister, I feel I am talking to a person I have known for long. Your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities. Pakistanis are one of the most intelligent people. I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems. It will be an honor and I will personally do it. Feel free to call me any time even before 20th January that is before I assume my office.

On being invited to visit Pakistan by the Prime Minister, Mr. Trump said that he would love to come to a fantastic country, fantastic place of fantastic people. Please convey to the Pakistani people that they are amazing and all Pakistanis I have known are exceptional people, said Mr. Donald Trump.

http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/30/13797178/donald-trump-call-nawaz-sharif

Until he hires these people, of course nobody should give him credit for reaching out.

That said, we should be willing to get whatever we can from the guy that aligns with our beliefs. Compromise.

Trump just named his secretary of defense. It's General James Mattis.

[emoji38]

how the hell did we get here?! :crack:
A combination of racial bigotry, blatant sexism and infantile "wahhhhhhhh it should have been Bernnnnnnnnie" behavior, which led to a lot of voting for sheer idiots like Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, because apparently giving a few speeches at Goldman, not committing crimes and creating easier access to AIDS drugs in developing nations is more corrupt than whatever this orange faced douche is, according to some.

That's how.

Until he hires these people, of course nobody should give him credit for reaching out.

That said, we should be willing to get whatever we can from the guy that aligns with our beliefs. Compromise.

No, even in the event that he names either of these people... you'll have fallen for a wolf in sheep's clothing.

How have I fallen for Donald Trump? He will never receive my vote, has supposed policies that are virtually all anathema to what I believe and I gladly support any Democrat taking him down in 2020.

A combination of racial bigotry, blatant sexism and infantile "wahhhhhhhh it should have been Bernnnnnnnnie" behavior, which led to a lot of voting for sheer idiots like Jill Stein and Gary Johnson, because apparently giving a few speeches at Goldman, not committing crimes and creating easier access to AIDS drugs in developing nations is more corrupt than whatever this orange faced douche is, according to some.

That's how.

Or you decided to nominate an extremely disliked candidate (when all the polling told you it was a terrible idea) that ultimately failed to win over struggling white working class voters in a handful of states.

Blaming liberals is particularly stupid given that she kicked Trump's ass by wider margins in the blue states than Obama had won by in previous elections.

The way I see it, people vote for what they believe is in their best interest, particularly economically. Doesn't mean they're making the right decision, but voting with that intention is all that really matters. Everything else regarding Trump's comments and past behavior clearly didn't matter in the slightest just as any of Clinton's failings were just dismissed out of hand by the same establishment base that brought this disaster upon all of us.

Personally, I love living outside of that bubble and can take a rational reflection on events when the right absolutely kills it in elections. But, hopefully one day soon, there will be a Democratic nominee worthy of my vote. And if you want to stop all the "not good enough" arguments and diminish the support for someone like Jill Stein and increase turnout among liberals then stop nominating these candidates that too closely allign themselves with corporate interests. It really isn't rocket science and there's certain to be multiple Progressive options next time around given the success of Sanders. Nominate one of them and all will be good. You can compromise on paying higher taxes, you know. Just as you all told people like me to compromise and vote for Clinton this time around.

Last edited:
How have I fallen for Donald Trump? He will never receive my vote, has supposed policies that are virtually all anathema to what I believe and I gladly support any Democrat taking him down in 2020.

And you're totally game for taking a young up-and-coming future leader from within the democratic party and putting her in his administration?

Do you understand the implications of that?

Or you decided to nominate an extremely disliked candidate (when all the polling told you it was a terrible idea) that ultimately failed to win over struggling white working class voters in a handful of states.

Blaming liberals is particularly stupid given that she kicked Trump's ass by wider margins in the blue states than Obama had won by in previous elections.

The way I see it, people vote for what they believe is in their best interest, particularly economically. Doesn't mean they're making the right decision, but voting with that intention is all that really matters. Everything else regarding Trump's comments and past behavior clearly didn't matter in the slightest just as any of Clinton's failings were just dismissed out of hand by the same establishment base that brought this disaster upon all of us.

Personally, I love living outside of that bubble and can take a rational reflection on events when the right absolutely kills it in elections. But, hopefully one day soon, there will be a Democratic nominee worthy of my vote. And if you want to stop all the "not good enough" arguments and diminish the support for someone like Jill Stein and increase turnout among liberals then stop nominating these candidates that too closely allign themselves with corporate interests. It really isn't rocket science and there's certain to be multiple Progressive options next time around given the success of Sanders. Nominate one of them and all will be good. You can compromise on paying higher taxes, you know. Just as you all told people like me to compromise and vote for Clinton this time around.
So disliked.

More votes than any white male presidential candidate ever. Destroyed Bernie in the primaries.

So so disliked.

So, the opinion polling just didn't matter that showed America disliked her? The fact that she got only 48% of the vote compared to Obama getting 51% last time should just be dismissed? Not to mention that she got only 48% of the vote despite Obama being at an approval rating high lately, averaging in the mid 50s.

Of course the public disliked Hillary Clinton and that's how she managed to turn overwhelming Obama victories in key areas in states like Michigan into absolutely maddening losses. Quit trying to rewrite history.

And Sanders kicked her ass with the same rural white voters that ultimately cost her the election. She won the damn primary besides the name recognition, big money and endless establishment help because, I dunno, one group voted as a monolith and ultimately gave her at least 40% of her overall support. You take black voters out of the equation - most of whom live in states they can't really swing and whose turnout dipped a bit this time in the general election and Sanders absolutely destroyed Hillary Clinton with everyone else in that primary electorate.

But whatever, you're just going to make the same mistake in 2020 again and declare all of us leftists racists and immature for not getting behind Cory Booker as he wins thanks to the same monolith and corporate money.

Last edited:
We have no evidence if Bernie would have won so it's something that can't be proven either way. All we know is that you ultimately picked a loser with a lot of downside and, well, got what you deserved.

Now I have to live under a Trump presidency because of Democratic hero worship. Thanks for that.

And I like how the sole positive you can apply to Hillary Clinton is helping developing countries get AIDS drugs via her foundation. Because she never took a stand or did anything of merit as a Senator and then acted like a total warkhawk nutjob as Secretary of State while acting like disasters such as the environmental conference were big wins.

And, pray tell, what exactly did she ever do for the black community to earn their support by such a wide margin? Super-predators, increase in incarceration rates, supporting deregulation that led to the mortgage crisis that harmed communities of color the most, having a race-baiting 2008 campaign. She is absolutely deserving of none of her acclaim within the party and the rest of the country could see through it, whether they voted for somebody else or, like most of the left, voted for her just to stop Trump. Hillary Clinton is a woman of no accomplishments who was penciled in by some people as "first female President" and they just couldn't erase her inauguration from their 2009 and, later, 2017 calendars. A real shame. Thanks for Trump.

Last edited:
We have no evidence if Bernie would have won so it's something that can't be proven either way. All we know is that you ultimately picked a loser with a lot of downside and, well, got what you deserved.

Now I have to live under a Trump presidency because of Democratic hero worship. Thanks for that.
Hero worship.

Ha.

You're funny. Hey everyone, this guy's funny!

You're funny.

What this election showed us, and what I've been saying for years is that polling is dead. Stop quoting polls, your precious polls failed you, there are too many unknowns that current polling can't take in account.

What this election showed us, and what I've been saying for years is that polling is dead. Stop quoting polls, your precious polls failed you, there are too many unknowns that current polling can't take in account.

Nah bro. Polls said Bernie would have beat Trump. It must be true. If not for the hero worship of wealthy interferencers like you, we wouldn't have Trump now.

It's your fault. Dick.

Disagree entirely. Just learn how to use them responsibly. Plenty were accurate between the primaries and the election.

To suggest "current polls" are any different than older polls is wrong. The polls made this a possibility. The way they were perceived and reported... that's where people were wrong.

The national polls were ultimately off by one point. One friggin' point. They were closer than in 2012. The average said she would win by 3% and she instead won by 2% - not to mention that polling this year never really added up to 100% as there was a much higher number of undecideds than normal given how much the candidates were disliked - with most of these people ultimately breaking for Trump.

And I was a firm believer in the polls, and ultimately, FiveThirtyEight was the "least wrong" of everyone - making them the most correct for the third straight Presidential year. I had come in here and said that Trump would likely win if he kept her national victory to 2 points or less and that's exactly what ultimately happened despite a lot of you putting your hands on your ears and calling it improbable and posting about how you think Alaska or Arizona will flip. Almost as said a display of hubris as the Clinton campaign renting out that massive space because of the glass ceiling or popping champagne on her jet the day before or campaigning in Arizona because everything else was "locked up"...

Turns out the biggest problem was that pollsters did not ask enough uneducated whites what their opinions were...had they been better represented in the sample, things likely would have been more on the mark at the state level. Trump ultimately overperformed with that group virtually everywhere.

Last edited:
I have no hero worship for Bernie and like most of his supporters was into him for his actual policies and beliefs rather than trying to elect a famous woman at all costs. All I'm doing is looking to 2020 and making sure we get a Progressive nominee and there's plenty of names that I'm willing to accept. Here's hoping that some of you are willing to compromise and look over at our side of the aisle. Otherwise, history is doomed to repeat itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom