Trump General Discusion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in favor of diversity and things being equal or close to equal. I do prefer diversity. I want to believe of the names on the list, she gets the job based on qualifications considered first. And I am not naive enough to believe in looking at qualifications, there are times when things being equal, a white male gets the job.

That is why I have always supported affirmative action in the past,
Quotas is a different proposition and less creditable where qualifications are important.

ugh i agree with deep on something, time to go back to the drawing board of life

We've essentially elected someone with the political, historical, scientific, and cultural knowledge of a comments section on a conservative website. That's really the depth of his knowledge on anything outside of his business sphere.

Good job, rural America.
An ignorant nation elects an ignorant leader, nothing shocking here.

Most of Trump's supporters are so blinded by their ideologies and so obsessed with placing blame externally (on the Mexicans, the cultural elites, Washington, the media) that they simply have no clue as to what is actually going on. They'll sit and celebrate potentially saving a couple of hundred bucks on their health insurance like fools, completely oblivious to what the top 1% are saving/making/stealing. And maybe that's the key to their happiness, living in ignorance.

I think this article taps right into it. A deeply entrenched belief system that doesn't allow for any alternative explanations: The dark rigidity of fundamentalist rural America: a view from the inside

The real problem isn’t east coast elites who don’t understand or care about rural America. The real problem is rural America doesn’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because they don’t want to admit it is in large part because of choices they’ve made and horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe.

[...]

At some point during the discussion, “That’s your education talking,” will be said, derogatorily, as a general dismissal of everything I said.

[...]

Because rural, Christian, white Americans will not listen to educated arguments, supported by facts that go against their fundamentalist belief systems from “outsiders,” any change must come from within. Internal change in these systems does happen, but it happens infrequently and it always lags far behind reality.

The arguments are pretty universal. "We have to listen to their concerns." "We have to try and understand them." A sentiment often heard with regards to the rise of the xenophobic right in Europe as well. But then what? Shifting of jobs, de-industrialisation and exploitation of labour, both domestically and abroad are not issues that will change by listening to those who seek their betterment by appropriating blame to others, only so they can feel validated. And if they outright disregard any explanation, then what do we gain by paying attention to their diatribes?

There's a complete disconnect by the two sides. The best hope, unfortunately, can only be that Trump is going to so blatantly fail to deliver that it's shock therapy to those who fell for the demagoguery.

Yuck, the answers on conflict interest are something else. Sorry for posting the whole thing - I'll spoiler tag it.

It's astounding. This should be covered in the front page of every newspaper until he decides to sell the company.

It's almost funny that he says that "the president can't have a conflict of interest", "it's been reported everywhere". The guy still bases his decisions on what is being reported, and not on, you know, proper legal counsel.

It fits in with his and Giuliani's idea of "in war anything is allowed, so we could just have stolen all of Iraq's oil".

Laws are for losers.

Last edited:
and if you fancy a really depressing read... (don't read Monbiot right now as it's even more grim)

oh fuck it, it's a good article too...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/23/donald-trump-climate-change-war

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...onald-trump-eliminate-climate-change-research

Nasa’s Earth science division is set to be stripped of funding in favor of exploration of deep space, with the president-elect having set a goal during the campaign to explore the entire solar system by the end of the century.

This would mean the elimination of Nasa’s world-renowned research into temperature, ice, clouds and other climate phenomena. Nasa’s network of satellites provide a wealth of information on climate change, with the Earth science division’s budget set to grow to $2bn next year. By comparison, space exploration has been scaled back somewhat, with a proposed budget of $2.8bn in 2017

Bob Walker, a senior Trump campaign adviser, said there was no need for Nasa to do what he has previously described as “politically correct environmental monitoring”.

It’s understood that federal government scientists have been unnerved by Trump’s dismissal of climate science and are concerned that their work will be sidelined as part of a new pro-fossil fuels and deregulation agenda. Climate scientists at other organizations expressed dismay at the potential gutting of Earth-based research.

Kevin Trenberth, senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, said as Nasa provides the scientific community with new instruments and techniques, the elimination of Earth sciences would be “a major setback if not devastating”.

“It could put us back into the ‘dark ages’ of almost the pre-satellite era,” he said. “It would be extremely short sighted.

“We live on planet Earth and there is much to discover, and it is essential to track and monitor many things from space. Information on planet Earth and its atmosphere and oceans is essential for our way of life. Space research is a luxury, Earth observations are essential.”

Michael Mann, a climate scientist at Penn State University, said Nasa has a “critical and unique role” in observing Earth and climate change.

“Without the support of Nasa, not only the US but the entire world would be taking a hard hit when it comes to understanding the behavior of our climate and the threats posed by human-caused climate change,” he said.

“It would be a blatantly political move, and would indicate the president-elect’s willingness to pander to the very same lobbyists and corporate interest groups he derided throughout the campaign.”

Last edited:
So, do you all think this recount will actually go anywhere?

Sent from my Pixel XL using U2 Interference mobile app

You apparently don't need intelligence to make America great again.

President-elect Donald Trump has reportedly been dodging classified intelligence briefings and only received two since his election win over two weeks ago — a notably lower frequency as compared to his predecessors. Mike Pence, meanwhile, has received briefings almost every single day since the election, according to both current and former U.S. officials who spoke to the Washington Post on Wednesday.

I'd rather Mike Pence handle that stuff anyways.

The further we keep Donald away from foreign affairs, the better. Pence ain't a Saint, but at least he knows how that stuff goes.

You apparently don't need intelligence to make America great again.

President-elect Donald Trump has reportedly been dodging classified intelligence briefings and only received two since his election win over two weeks ago — a notably lower frequency as compared to his predecessors. Mike Pence, meanwhile, has received briefings almost every single day since the election, according to both current and former U.S. officials who spoke to the Washington Post on Wednesday.

This is the sort of thing that keeps me still in a state of semi-denial that this loon was actually elected President of the United States, occasionally emotionally clinging to absurd false hope from things like Jill Stein-driven recounts.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And because Stein, all the people that donated to her fund me site for this, and the concerned computer scientist are all objective and dont care about outcome just validity, I'd like to see their findings on the N H results that Trump lost by about 2700 votes.

Last edited:
This is the sort of thing that keeps me still in a state of semi-denial that this loon was actually elected President of the United States, occasionally emotionally clinging to absurd false hope from things like Jill Stein-driven recounts.

How are any of his voters -- the sentient, aware ones -- still feeling good about their choices since his election?

I'm watching Back to the Future.

The Biff = Trump observation is unbelievably accurate.

Last edited:
Any predictions on S of S nomination.
I'm putting Mitt at 50/50
Last week I would have had him at only 30/70.

Mitt would be a downright good choice for SecState, and a much-needed voice of reason in the Trump Administration (*vomits a little*). But it would be rather interesting to see how that process would work after Mitt's... rather colorful... words about the buffoon. Would he just pretend they never happened?

Of course he would pretend they never happened. Trump doesn't give a shit about the state department. A thousand times over again, this gets Mitt out of his way for internal opposition. Nobody left standing to challenge him when he has a shit presidency.

How are any of his voters -- the sentient, aware ones -- still feeling good about their choices since his election?

I'm watching Back to the Future.

The Biff = Trump observation is unbelievably accurate.

I feel great. I'm sleeping better. Hit the gym Five days last week.

Happy Thanksgiving

(My buddy who was neverTrump made the biff comparison last year. He decided in the final week to vote for Trump to deny the Clintons another inch closer to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom