Troops Favor Bush 4-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:
So then this isn't really a shock at all.

Actually I thought the ratio was higher, like 6:1 or 8:1.

I said this was not a surprise at all.

Yeah, when it's a volunteer military, most will be Republicans. Especially in a war with few military casualties (comparatively). Institute a draft or see severe casualties, that's different, but I agree that these numbers are not suprising. Also interesting to note would be a man or woman in uniform's reaction to the apparent media conscensus that Kerry will put their lives in the hands of foreign leaders entirely.

I respect and am grateful for those who volunteer to defend our country (wouldn't do it myself, I'll admit, with a few exceptions), but can say that in general I may disagree with many of their mindsets and political opinions. (In general people, don't eat me alive for that.)

No big surprise.

Just as it will come as no surprise when getting those absentee ballots in is given a higher priority than access to polls in poor urban areas of ethnic diversity.

I also see this as no big surprise. I find that people who would join the military are more likely to vote Republican, although I can't for the life of me understand why.

Let me understand this.....

Because its a volunteer military, it must be republicans enlisting?

:huh:

I must be losing my mind.

Did you ever think that they support the commander in chief because they trust his leadership? I would be SHOCKED to learn that the military enlistees were mostly republican. Unless things have changed since I enlisted......

This doesn't surprise me, the military people tend to be Republican. I know alot of military people because many people in my medieval re-enactment society are military, and they are diehard Republicans who will vote for Bush.

Only 13% of military personal are registered as Democrats across the country.

More interesting than the 4-1 in favour to Bush is:

Military personnel who responded to the survey said they were generally happy with their jobs: 73% said they would re-enlist.

It's great that the soldiers are happy with what they do.

Only 13% of military personal are registered as Democrats across the country.

Out of couriosity, Is there any statistics if they are allready Republicans when they join the army or if they turn to Republicans during their service?

DaveC said:
Hasn't the military ALWAYS been traditionally Republican dominated? :shrug:

Now, wait. I thought it was argued elsewhere that the volunteer army was filled with minorities and lower income people - groups traditionally claimed by democrats as theirs.

Perhaps those in the military support GWB because they have a better understanding of what is going on in Iraq.

No real news coverage on this poll.
Can you imagine if the results were, "Soldiers in Iraq support Kerry 4-1". The press would be having a field day.

Sting, what was the percent of republicans?

See, my opinions changed ONCE I joined the military. Before hand, I was to the left, after boot camp I leaned right. And that change was gradual, not instantaneous, but as I served more and more, I moved to the right. Mostly because I believed that the Republicans were more judicious in their use of the military. I was NOT impressed with the way Clinton handled things. I was not impressed with the votes of Mr. Kerry and Mr. Kennedy, and they certainly did nothing for the reservists here in Massachusetts when our units were moved out to other states.

Do you have a link to information on political breakdowns?

NB...that was exactly waht I was thinking.

while these numbers are probably pretty acurate....you'd be suprised oi hear that a fair amount of troops do NOT support Bush any more.

This's partuclarly true becaUSE OF THE cavalier & uncaring way he is about them- by NOT really suppling the troops with what they need, and the numbers that should have been there in the first place.

#Nevermind that many of the troop didn't/some still don't have the prooper body armor- chest & back plates to slip into the vest or jacket for the proper protection. :huh:

In fact if a soldier is hit in either side of the body that is Not protected, the damage can be even worse { depending on sopeed & trajectory} because it can go totally throughthe body, hit the INNER side of the bdyplate and then RICCOCHET back into the body for eveN More injury.

WHAt sort of care for the troops is thAT? :mad:

>Why is that the Families have had to rAISE MONEY/ BUY EITHER THE FULL 2 pieces or the one to add in to the other one. This is caring treament of the troopS.

dO YOU KNOW THat at least 3 or 4 forts current USA Forts are hAVING THEIR TROOPS on lockdown because they are schedualed to go back in a week or 2 and they are really afrAID OF DESERTIONS?

BuSH & cO WRAP THEMSELVES UP IN THE fLAG <insert 'pious' emoticon here> AND SIMULTANEOUSLY cut vet's benifitS! tHEY Also tried [ congress may have defeated the measure} to cut the Miltary Pay & Aid to Military families by, oh 30% or even more.

There are alot of suicides of soldeiers who find out they're tour of duty is not up as they'd been told and have to stay.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
Sting, what was the percent of republicans?

See, my opinions changed ONCE I joined the military. Before hand, I was to the left, after boot camp I leaned right. And that change was gradual, not instantaneous, but as I served more and more, I moved to the right. Mostly because I believed that the Republicans were more judicious in their use of the military. I was NOT impressed with the way Clinton handled things. I was not impressed with the votes of Mr. Kerry and Mr. Kennedy, and they certainly did nothing for the reservists here in Massachusetts when our units were moved out to other states.

Do you have a link to information on political breakdowns?

NB...that was exactly waht I was thinking.

The source is the Army Times newspaper, October 11, 2004. The poll was conducted by the "Military Times" which does work for all the services newspapers. It is the cover story on the newspaper with the title "The Troops Have Spoken- who you picked for president and why".

Several other questions were asked besides which party they belonged to and who they were voting for. I'll try and post the results of some of those poll questions tomorrow.

Dave C

when I don't have much time left at the public places where I go on the internet, in much rush to finish a statement my pinky slips and I hit the caps lock. I sometimes don't notice it because I have to mostly look at the keys when I type.

Sometimes I don't have enough time to go back and correct the unentended use of the caplock.

Wait....only 13% of the military are democrats?

So we have mostly republicans to thank for the actual defense of the country?

Interesting.

Here are the entire polling results from the "Military Times" poll. Responses are grouped into "Active Duty" and "Guard & Reserve".

IF the Presidential election were held today, for whom would you vote?

ACTIVE DUTY

BUSH 72%
Kerry 17%
Undecided 6%
Declined to Answer 2%
Nader 1%
Other 1%

GUARD & RESERVE

BUSH 73%
Kerry 18%
Undecided 5%
Nader 1%
Other 1%
Declined to answer 1%

Do you approve of the way President Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?

ACTIVE DUTY

Approve 60%
Disapprove 23%
No Opinion 8%
Declined to answer 8%

GUARD & RESERVE

Approve 63%
Disapprove 25%
Declined to answer 6%
No Opinion 5%

What are the most important issues for you in deciding for whom you will vote for president?

(Respondents could choose more than one)

ACTIVE DUTY

The War in Iraq 66%
The Character of the candidate 64%
The Economy 53%
Social issues 34%
None of the Above 4%

GUARD & RESERVE

The war in Iraq 72%
The character of the candidate 66%
The economy 58%
Social Issues 36%
None of the Above 3%

A more extensive breakdown of the results on the question of:

If the presidential election were held today, for whom would you vote?

ACTIVE DUTY

Not deployed since September 11, 2001

BUSH 72%
Kerry 18%
Undecided 6%
Declined to answer 2%
Nader 1%
Other 1%

Deployed two months or more since September 11, 2001

BUSH 74%
Kerry 17%
Undecided 6%
Nader 1%
Other 1%
Declined to answer 1%

GUARD & RESERVE

Not on active duty since September 11, 2001

BUSH 71%
Kerry 21%
Undecided 6%
Nader 1%
Other 1%

Activated since September 11, 2001

BUSH 76%
Kerry 17%
Undecided 5%
Nader 1%

Not deployed to a combat zone since September 11, 2001.

BUSH 73%
Kerry 19%
Undecided 5%
Nader 1%
Other 1%
Declined to answer 1%

Deployed to a combat zone since September 11, 2001.

BUSH 76%
Kerry 16%
Undecided 5%
Other 2%
Declined to answer 1%

In making your decision about voting for president, how important is the military service record of the candidates?

ACTIVE DUTY

Very Important 12%
Somewhat important 47%
No Opinion 11%
Somewhat unimportant 19%
Very unimportant 10%

GUARD & RESERVE

Very Important 16%
Somewhat important 54%
No Opinion 8%
Somewhat Unimportant 14%
Very Unimportant 7%

Do George W. Bush's actions while in the National Guard make you more or less likely to vote for him or will they not have much effect on your vote?

ACTIVE DUTY

Not much effect 73%
Less likely 12%
No Opinion 8%
More Likely 6%

GUARD & RESERVE

Not much effect 68%
Less likely 16%
More likely 10%
No opinion 5%

Does John Kerry's combat experience in the Vietnam War make you more likely or less likely to vote for him or will it not have much effect on your vote?

ACTIVE DUTY

Not much effect 58%
Less likely 21%
More likely 12%
No opinion 7%

GUARD & RESERVE

Not much effect 53%
Less likely 26%
More likely 15%
No Opinion 5%

Do John Kerry's anti-war activities after he returned from serving in the Vietnam War make you more likely or less likely to vote for him or will they not have much effect on your vote?

ACTIVE DUTY

Less likely 65%
Not much effect 24%
More likely 7%
No opinion 3%

GUARD & RESERVE

Less likely 67%
Not much effect 20%
More likely 9%
No opinion 2%

60% of the troops polled identified themselves as Republican
20% as independents