Treatment of Women in Iraq under Hussein - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Behave Ladies or ELSE!!!!!

Situation for Women in Saddam's Iraq
In 1979, immediately upon coming to power, Saddam Hussein silenced all political opposition in Iraq and converted his one-party state into a cult of personality. Since then, his regime has systematically executed, tortured, imprisoned, raped, terrorized, and repressed the Iraqi people. Iraq is a nation rich in culture, with a long history of intellectual and scientific achievement, especially among its women. However, Saddam Hussein's brutal regime has silenced the voices of Iraq's women, along with its men, through violence and intimidation.

In Iraq under Saddam, if you are a woman, you could face:

Beheading. Under the pretext of fighting prostitution, units of "Fedayeen Saddam," the paramilitary organization led by Uday Hussein, Saddam's eldest son, have beheaded in public more than 200 women throughout the country, dumping their severed heads at their families' doorsteps. Many families have been required to display the victim's head on their outside fences for several days. These barbaric acts were carried out in the total absence of any proper judicial procedures and many of the victims were not engaged in prostitution, but were targeted for political reasons. For example, Najat Mohammad Haydar, an obstetrician in Baghdad, was beheaded after criticizing the corruption within health services. (Amnesty International Report, Iraq: Systematic Torture of Political Prisoners, August 2001; Iraqi Women's League in Damascus, Syria)

Rape. The Iraqi Government uses rape and sexual assault of women to achieve the following goals: to extract information and forced confessions from detained family members; to intimidate Iraqi oppositionists by sending videotapes showing the rape of female family members; and to blackmail Iraqi men into future cooperation with the regime. Some Iraqi authorities even carry personnel cards identifying their official "activity" as the "violation of women's honor." (U.S. Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices-2001, March 2002; Iraq Research and Documentation Project, Harvard University)

Torture. The Iraqi Government routinely tortures and kills female dissidents and the female relatives of Iraqi oppositionists and defectors. Victims include Safiyah Hassan, the mother of two Iraqi defectors, who was killed after publicly criticizing the Iraqi Government for killing her sons after their return to Iraq. Women in Saddam's jails are subjected to the following forms of torture: brutal beatings, systematic rape, electrical shocks, and branding. (U.S. Department of State, Country Reports on Human Rights Practices-2001, March 2002; U.S. Department of State, Iraq: A Population Silenced, December 2002)

Murder. In 1990, Saddam Hussein introduced Article 111 into the Iraqi Penal Code in a calculated effort to strengthen tribal support for his regime. This law exempts men who kill their female relatives in defense of their family's honor from prosecution and punishment. The UN Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women reported that more than 4,000 women have been victims of so-called "honor killings" since Article 111 went into effect. (UN Commission on Human Rights, Report of the Special Rapporteur on Violence Against Women, January 2002)

Old 03-30-2003, 04:44 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Disgusting. But far from unique.

Read up on women's treatment in places like Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan. Just as bad, and IMO, worse.

Old 03-30-2003, 04:50 PM   #3
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Old 03-30-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 11:10 PM
Re: Behave Ladies or ELSE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Situation for Women in Saddam's Iraq
What a great discovery! My only wish is that someone now write about "rights" of women in Saudi Arabia. "Rights" they enjoy according to the law by the way...
Old 03-30-2003, 05:03 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
i hate reading stories of how these nations treat women.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:07 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:10 PM
In addition to Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Yemen........don't forget Afghanistan. There are reports of terribly abusive treatment of women in that country also. The Taliban still has power in that country, even if they no longer run the central government. Pakistan, too. Ugh. All of those countries treat their women like .
Old 03-30-2003, 06:56 PM   #7
She's the One

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Matt, I realize that you're trying to be sympathetic here, but the title of this thread is pushing the limits of taste. "Behavior" is for children. The treatment you insist on describing is gender-based torture. Please do not make light of it.

What was the point of this thread? To substantiate the reasons for the invasion? If not, what?

I'm so fucking sick of this forum. It's one long, pointless fight.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
New Yorker

Not only do they use rape against Iraqis, but I believe they also raped a female U.S. POW during the '91 Gulf war. They've probably done the same thing to the present female POW.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Not to mention Saddam's son Uday, who has as one of his "hobbies" (the media description, not mine) picking any woman he wishes to rape-including 13 year old girls. Maybe even younger than that, who knows for sure? And this is not US media fabrication-it comes from Iraqis who have witnessed it.

By the way, I didn't take offense to the thread title-I thought it was just being sarcastic, and not any sort of way of substantiating the reasons for the invasion. The facts are the facts, and I find it very difficult to believe that Dreadsox, or anyone else here, would EVER make light of gender based torture. I'm not meaning to be argumentative w/ you at all Martha-just my view on it .
Old 03-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #10
She's the One

Local Time: 12:10 PM
I know, but the use of the words "behave" and "ladies" trivializes this kind of thing. I still don't see the point of this thread.

Have fun everyone. Argue about the war all you want. I hope you won't still be arguing in 15 years.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:04 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

By the way, I didn't take offense to the thread title-I thought it was just being sarcastic, and not any sort of way of substantiating the reasons for the invasion. The facts are the facts, and I find it very difficult to believe that Dreadsox, or anyone else here, would EVER make light of gender based torture. I'm not meaning to be argumentative w/ you at all Martha-just my view on it .
Thank you ..... For giving me the benefit of the doubt. I NEVER meant to "TRIVIALIZE" anything. Sarcasm is not one of my better qualities and if it offended you Martha I apologize to you and anyone else.

What is the point of this thread? What is the point of any thread?

This one I found because I was researching the group of 30,000 Fedayeen that have been giving our troops so much trouble. I came across this. I find it to be further evidence that the time for action is now. Maybe some people were not aware of these things that have been going on.

Yes, it is upsetting, very upsetting.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:38 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:10 PM
I'm not offended at the name of the thread. I don't think Dreadsox or anyone else here would post a note trivializing anything. I actually don't feel like I'm here to *argue* about the war in Iraq. I'm trying to learn about it and keep informed about it. I don't have to worry about some posting a bunch of crummy notes because the mods keep it nice. Man, I've seen some really flamey notes about France, etc, etc on other lists. I'm glad that garbage isn't here.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:56 AM   #13
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:10 AM
Perhaps Martha is talking more about the fact that most debates regarding many aspects of this war, just go round and round in circles Verte. I don't want to put words in Martha's mouth or anything, but I thought it was more the fight get understanding on a point of view, not necessarily fighting with people here.

Guess we can safely add Iraq onto the growing list of countries that not only lack respect for their women but torture and abuse them in their daily life. Its weird, but watching the news the other day, I saw that woman scientist who is believed to have been instrumental in building up the chemical weapons program for his regime. I guess she was too valuable to be considered as lowly as the average citizen.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:28 AM   #14
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 PM
I changed the thread title...hope no one minds.

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:11 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I know, but the use of the words "behave" and "ladies" trivializes this kind of thing. I still don't see the point of this thread.

Have fun everyone. Argue about the war all you want. I hope you won't still be arguing in 15 years.
The title was easily seen as a 'hook' and to get ppl to open the thread.

It is known that Matt the author of the thread respects women.

Maybe some can start a protest march if need be

DB9