Treason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Why do conservatives hate our country and the values it was founded on?

Colo. Official: Jurors Answerable to God
Wed Oct 1,12:55 PM ET

GOLDEN, Colo. - A county treasurer is handing out booklets to potential jurors saying they are answerable "only to God almighty" and not to the law when it comes to deliberations.

Jefferson County Treasurer Mark Paschall, a former state lawmaker known for his anti-abortion and pro-gun views, said the booklets are "my personal gift to the people." He said the booklets, many stamped with his name and elected title, were bought with $500 to $600 of his money and that of two political allies who work in the treasurer's office.

The 61-page booklets promote "jury nullification," a concept promoted by conservative groups that say juries have the right to not only decide guilt or innocence, but also whether laws are just and adhere to God's law.

"You are above the law!" the booklet says. "As a juror in a trial setting, when it comes to your individual vote of innocent or guilty, you truly are answerable only to God almighty."

Said Paschall: "I want people to understand the form of government that we have and the rights and freedoms that went before. If it raises eyebrows, I think it perhaps ends up waking people up."

Some questioned whether Paschall has a right to distribute the material at a government office, and County Attorney Bill Tuthill said he was looking into the issue.

"I don't think it is appropriate to pass these out in the treasurer's office in the county building," County Commissioner Pat Holloway said.

Added Cal Johnston, chairman of the Jefferson County Democratic Party: "What is the county treasurer doing handing out books like that?"

"He is using his office as a pulpit for his conservative opinions," Johnston said.

During last year's campaign, Paschall vowed to speak out on Second Amendment issues.

"I have said from the very beginning I was not going to be like any other treasurer," he said. "I'm a passionate man, and I'm willing to stand up for the things I believe in."

While the conservative concept is relatively new, juries have always in effect practiced nullification from time to time. Juries refused to convict people who harbored runaway slaves before the Civil War, sold alcohol during Prohibition or resisted the draft during the Vietnam War.

Melon

I say if these people want to live in a theocracy then let them live in a theocracy. Give them a small plot of land and see how things work out for them. Just don't let them have guns...

This guy reminds me of our infamous "Judge" Moore. I don't want to re-hash the monument controversy but he's also basically saying "to hell with the laws". I think these people are absolutely prostituting my religion. I wish they'd stop. :rant: :yell: :censored: :censored: :censored:

In America we are supposed to have freedom of religion.

It seems some only want freedom from religion.

this message brought to you
by your local AM talk station.
CLEAR CHANNEL-Support the Lord and Our War.

Re: Re: Treason

nbcrusader said:

Yup, we're all the same :rolleyes:

I'm actually making fun of Ann Coulter. Substitute "conservative" for "liberal" and you have a statement that she would make.

Melon

Yeah, I hate it when they say "liberals do this" or "liberals believe that" when I do have occasion to disagree with my fellow liberals, sometimes on major issues. It's not fair to anyone to generalize.

Re: Re: Re: Treason

melon said:

I'm actually making fun of Ann Coulter. Substitute "conservative" for "liberal" and you have a statement that she would make.

Melon

I knew exactly what you meant Melon. I've heard her and Sean Hannity use that exact phrase and others like it many times when talking about Liberals.

(the title of the thread was a good clue too) :)

Back
Top Bottom