Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in America does this happen on the daily and we choose to celebritize one case.

Truth.

I think race is very much a factor in this case but not in the way that many people (black and white) seem to think. Race is the reason we even know about this case in the first place. Had it been black on black, nobody would have cared (or white on white for that matter). Had the black guy been the shooter and the victim white we likely still would never have heard about it and he'd likely already be serving out 25 years to life right now. This case highlights the sense that many of us feel (and that appears to confirmed tonight again) that when it's a young black man involved he is assumed to be the aggressor, the dangerous one. Self defense, apparently is more or less a given. It makes me very sad.

Yes, it is disgusting

173397209.jpg

This t-shirt does not represent my view or the view of many black Americans. But then our view doesn't make for very interesting t-shirts nor is it suitable for being passed around as an inflammatory image to convince folks that he is the only victim here (and that those blacks really are pretty dangerous, I mean look at the t-shirts they are wearing!).

Truth.

I think race is very much a factor in this case but not in the way that many people (black and white) seem to think. Race is the reason we even know about this case in the first place. Had it been black on black, nobody would have cared (or white on white for that matter). Had the black guy been the shooter and the victim white we likely still would never have heard about it and he'd likely already be serving out 25 years to life right now. This case highlights the sense that many of us feel (and that appears to confirmed tonight again) that when it's a young black man involved he is assumed to be the aggressor, the dangerous one. Self defense, apparently is more or less a given. It makes me very sad.

Much truth there.

It feels suddenly like it is open season on young black men carrying Skittles.

The law is the disgusting thing, not the verdict. The verdict was expected, and legally speaking, correct.

Just curious. What was disgusting about the law? As i understand, the jury must have looked at all evidence available and aquitted based on self defense. Is self defense disgusting?

I didn't follow the whole case but did the prosecution prove their case? I heard that it was overcharged and partly bungled.

Seems that people are trying to turn it into a civil rights case. Why would it be? From what I seen, it's about an overzealous neighborhood watchman profiling a man as a potential criminal. Then Trayvon profiled Zimmerman back.

Seems that people are trying to turn it into a civil rights case. Why would it be? From what I seen, it's about an overzealous neighborhood watchman profiling a man as a potential criminal. Then Trayvon profiled Zimmerman back.

What about Trayvon read "potential criminal"?

Think hard.

Is self defense disgusting?

Shooting an unarmed teenager dead sure is.

From afar, the result fucking sickens me. Leaving aside gun laws, race, poor legal work, whatever, it still sickens me.

I read on Twitter that if Zimmerman had shot a deer without a hunting license, he would have received heavier punishment than he did here. Dunno if that's true, but if so...

This case highlights the sense that many of us feel (and that appears to confirmed tonight again) that when it's a young black man involved he is assumed to be the aggressor, the dangerous one. Self defense, apparently is more or less a given. It makes me very sad.

Seems that Zimmerman is an idiot to get out of his car. He got his ass kicked and shot him. He is the reason Trayvon is dead. But Zimmerman was injured so it's self defense. Nobody will know the real truth. I do believe in self defense though. Too bad they couldn't convict Zimmerman on stupidity.

What about Trayvon read "potential criminal"?

Think hard.

I said Zimmerman profiled him as a potential criminal. He called 911 and said that there have been burglaries in the area and Trayvon was acting suspicious. I'm not saying he was right. I'm saying that's what Zimmerman felt.

Why should I think hard Irvine? Confused.

I said Zimmerman profiled him as a potential criminal. He called 911 and said that there have been burglaries in the area and Trayvon was acting suspicious. I'm not saying he was right. I'm saying that's what Zimmerman felt.

Why should I think hard Irvine? Confused.

What was Trayvon doing that cause Zimmerman to profile him as a potential criminal?

Shooting an unarmed teenager dead sure is.

From afar, the result fucking sickens me. Leaving aside gun laws, race, poor legal work, whatever, it still sickens me.

I read on Twitter that if Zimmerman had shot a deer without a hunting license, he would have received heavier punishment than he did here. Dunno if that's true, but if so...

Did you see Zimmerman's nose and back of his head? Did Trayvon have any injuries until he was shot? Just curious cause i didnt watch the trial and honestly don't know.

LMAO at the deer w/o a license. He could have got life today. Doubt you can get that for a deer. Sad to compare it to a human life though.

What was Trayvon doing that cause Zimmerman to profile him as a potential criminal?

He said that it was raining and he wasn't walking anywhere. He described him as a man with a hood. 911 asked him his race and he said he wasn't sure. Then Trayvon walked towards hom he told him he was black.

He said that it was raining and he wasn't walking anywhere. He described him as a man with a hood. 911 asked him his race and he said he wasn't sure. Then Trayvon walked towards hom he told him he was black.

What's criminal about any of that?

He was also walking at 7 fucking pm.
Totally suspicious.

Just wondering where all you white people are on the south and west side of Chicago? About 450 black males were killed last year in Chicago, mostly by black males. Where are you when it comes time to come to my hood to protest? Are you scared? We can protest during the day. You don't give a shit. You only care if the one in a hundred times a white guy kills a black. You could care less when a black kills a black. Or a black kills a white. It happens every day. Irvine, you are an idiot, blacks commit most of the burglaries.

In Sanford, suspicious walking time follows suspicious rush hour.

You're not thinking straight. He was suspicious. Nobody knows what happened after that.

Just wondering why LuckyNumber, why don't you come to my south side to protest all the black on black crime?

About 450 black men killed 450 black men in Chicago. Bring you're people to me. Come to me and protest. Are you afraid? Why focus on one white person who killed s black man? Why not follow all the black men who are killed by black men? Oh you don't care about them. You're only interested if a white man kills a black man. Meet me today at 67th and Ashland to protest.

This is silly. What does it even mean? He was found not guilty, so obviously any punishment for any crime whatsoever would be heavier

I think if you want to have an opinion on the matter, you first need to go to tim's south side. That's the impression I'm getting anyway

You're not thinking straight. He was suspicious. Nobody knows what happened after that.

Just wondering why LuckyNumber, why don't you come to my south side to protest all the black on black crime?

About 450 black men killed 450 black men in Chicago. Bring you're people to me. Come to me and protest. Are you afraid? Why focus on one white person who killed s black man? Why not follow all the black men who are killed by black men? Oh you don't care about them. You're only interested if a white man kills a black man. Meet me today at 67th and Ashland to protest.

Everybody does know that George Zimmerman is Peruvian, right?

Just wondering where all you white people are on the south and west side of Chicago? About 450 black males were killed last year in Chicago, mostly by black males. Where are you when it comes time to come to my hood to protest? Are you scared? We can protest during the day. You don't give a shit. You only care if the one in a hundred times a white guy kills a black. You could care less when a black kills a black. Or a black kills a white. It happens every day. Irvine, you are an idiot, blacks commit most of the burglaries.

Don't lecture me. I live in the inner city in a city that's over 50% African American. We've had 3 shootings within a block of where I live so far this summer.

You'd do a lot better finding a non-racist argument rather than inventing imaginary thoughts for others.

And you might realize that Sanford is quite different from Chicago.

Inventing imaginary thoughts for others is a hobby for some posters here

What I find "disgusting" is the conduct of that lawyer Don West. He comes off as an extremely arrogant condescending guy. You won the case, no need to continue to try to rehabilitate the image of your client within minutes of doing so. We get it, he's a saint and nothing but a victim. Even if you don't believe it, that's your "job" I suppose. Your daughter's little ice cream picture with the hash tag we beat stupid (when her father cross examined Rachel Jeantel) was disgusting too. I could say she was acting like a privileged ignorant white girl, but that would be racist and disgusting I suppose. You were in the picture, whether or not she asked your permission to post it on the internet..well it reflected quite poorly on you. Your little knock knock joke shortly after the opening of the prosecution, with the description of Trayvon's death, well I found that disgusting too.

I wouldn't take those t shirts as representative of the entire black community, nor would I ever condone them. Can I try to understand the anger of many African American people even though I've never lived a day in their shoes? Yes, I can try. Don't think I'll be all that successful.

The legal system is not a search for the truth, that's a fairytale. It's about what can be proven in court, who has the most money and the best lawyers, and a bunch of other things that have nothing to do with the truth. All that doesn't make that jury's verdict, or any jury's verdict, wrong. It's the system we have, I'd still rather have a non professional jury then the way it works in so many other countries. But the many inequalities that exist in the system, as a general commentary not directly related to this case, can't be denied.

I just had a hard a hard time sleeping last night, the whole thing just bothers me very much. Wouldn't want to be on that jury, I know that for sure.

George gets his gun back, he fears for his life. I fear for what this verdict might do to certain people who might be motivated to think they can get away with murder, manslaughter, whatever you want to call it.

The other comment that was laughable to me was O'Mara's comment that it was David vs Goliath. You apparently had unlimited funds-you hired a guy to do an animated recreation with technology used in Avatar and Iron Man, among other movies. You paid the guy who wrote the book on forensic pathology $400/hour. The list could probably go on and on. Yes the state has plenty of resources and power, but you're hardly the public defenders that you also managed to insult. At least he apologized for that.

I do think the prosecution could have had witnesses who were better prepared, don't think they were well prepared and suddenly did a 180 on the stand. It made them appear incompetent, the witnesses and sometimes the prosecutors. Don't put witnesses on in your first week who obviously are helping the defense way more than they're helping you. That's not the reason for the verdict, but there were apparent flaws. The mistakes of the testing and the ME office didn't help them either, the defense took full advantage of them. That's what they're supposed to do.

I wonder how George's wacky neighbor and friend Frank Taffee (have seen him act wacky several times on tv, would guess that's why he didn't testify) had some sort of information that the jury was 5-1 for acquittal when they asked the manslaughter question. He claimed so on tv last night. Either he was pulling that out of his you know what, or something improper was going on somewhere. When they asked the general question about manslaughter and never asked a more specific one, I thought it had to be an acquittal.

What I find "disgusting" is the conduct of that lawyer Don West. He comes off as an extremely arrogant condescending guy. You won the case, no need to continue to try to rehabilitate the image of your client within minutes of doing so. We get it, he's a saint and nothing but a victim. Even if you don't believe it, that's your "job" I suppose. Your daughter's little ice cream picture with the hash tag we beat stupid (when her father cross examined Rachel Jeantel) was disgusting too. I could say she was acting like a privileged ignorant white girl, but that would be racist and disgusting I suppose. You were in the picture, whether or not she asked your permission to post it on the internet..well it reflected quite poorly on you. Your little knock knock joke shortly after the opening of the prosecution, with the description of Trayvon's death, well I found that disgusting too.

I wouldn't take those t shirts as representative of the entire black community, nor would I ever condone them. Can I try to understand the anger of many African American people even though I've never lived a day in their shoes? Yes, I can try. Don't think I'll be all that successful.

The legal system is not a search for the truth, that's a fairytale. It's about what can be proven in court, who has the most money and the best lawyers, and a bunch of other things that have nothing to do with the truth. All that doesn't make that jury's verdict, or any jury's verdict, wrong. It's the system we have, I'd still rather have a non professional jury then the way it works in so many other countries. But the many inequalities that exist in the system, as a general commentary not directly related to this case, can't be denied.

I just had a hard a hard time sleeping last night, the whole thing just bothers me very much. Wouldn't want to be on that jury, I know that for sure.

George gets his gun back, he fears for his life. I fear for what this verdict might do to certain people who might be motivated to think they can get away with murder, manslaughter, whatever you want to call it.

The other comment that was laughable to me was O'Mara's comment that it was David vs Goliath. You apparently had unlimited funds-you hired a guy to do an animated recreation with technology used in Avatar and Iron Man, among other movies. You paid the guy who wrote the book on forensic pathology $400/hour. The list could probably go on and on. Yes the state has plenty of resources and power, but you're hardly the public defenders that you also managed to insult. At least he apologized for that.

I do think the prosecution could have had witnesses who were better prepared, don't think they were well prepared and suddenly did a 180 on the stand. It made them appear incompetent, the witnesses and sometimes the prosecutors. Don't put witnesses on in your first week who obviously are helping the defense way more than they're helping you. That's not the reason for the verdict, but there were apparent flaws. The mistakes of the testing and the ME office didn't help them either, the defense took full advantage of them. That's what they're supposed to do.

I wonder how George's wacky neighbor and friend Frank Taffee (have seen him act wacky several times on tv, would guess that's why he didn't testify) had some sort of information that the jury was 5-1 for acquittal when they asked the manslaughter question. He claimed so on tv last night. Either he was pulling that out of his you know what, or something improper was going on somewhere. When they asked the general question about manslaughter and never asked a more specific one, I thought it had to be an acquittal.

speaking of inventing imaginary thoughts

thanks for this thoughtful post

this incident seems to be dividing people into two camps, you fall under the side that prefers common decency and respect for human life

thanks for this thoughtful post

this incident seems to be dividing people into two camps, you fall under the side that prefers common decency and respect for human life

The two camps are balanced and reasonable, and unbalanced and hysterical. There are both kinds on either side of the argument

but at the end of the day, there is one event

and if one is hysterically on one side, they are either on the right side or wrong side of the event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom