Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The night it happened the police viewed it
as self defense. Zimmerman was not charged.
The police chief agreed.

It was not until Sharpton and Jackson came to
Florida with their "race crayons" that this turned
into a media circus.

President Obama added to the flames
with his comment.

The state of Florida bowed to the pressure.

The police chief agreed.

into a media circus.

with his comment.

Go away.

I'm stunned that you stuck around for more than a drive-by, so credit to you.

I think it is disingenuous to imply that further investigation could have only turned up a different result because of political pressure. Post hoc, ergo proctor hoc.

The police chief agreed.

Do you agree that it might be hard to make an ultimate determination only hours after the incident, before the police on the scene had access to Zimmerman's dispatch call and the 911 calls and witness accounts of neighborhood residents?

into a media circus.

First, the condescending way you mention Sharpton and Jackson is less than flattering for you. Second, simply because they showed up does not mean that the Zimmerman case did not deserve more public scrutiny. Third, even if their entrance may have been when it turned into a media circus (though media began paying more attention to the story well before Jackson and Sharpton uttered a word about it), the media circus is irrelevant to the facts of the case. And the facts of the case are sufficient enough to go to trial.

The police chief agreed.

into a media circus.

with his comment.

You're right.

After all, you were a slave once too. So you'd know that it was Trayvon's family who pursued the case, not Sharpton and Jackson.

It is disingenuous to suggest that this case was being treated strictly as a legal matter. The media and various public figures have pushed conclusions without knowledge of the facts.

It is disingenuous to suggest that this case was being treated strictly as a legal matter. The media and various public figures have pushed conclusions without knowledge of the facts.

No one has suggested as such. How could it be? The case touches on uniquely American issues -- race, crime, violence, racial profiling, cowboy mentalities, and most especially the obsession with firearms

and most especially the obsession with firearms

This I can't understand. Someone who keeps a sidearm on him legally with a concealed carry permit in an area with a high crime rate = firearm obsession? :| I don't know if George Zimmerman is telling the truth or not. But if he is, and he didn't have his gun on him, Travon Martin could be the one sitting in the defendants chair for the murder of Zimmerman. :shrug:

Quite frankly if I lived in Sanford, Florida I myself would definitely be considering a concealed carry permit myself. Fortunately I live in Vermont where there are very few gun laws and no violent crime.

No one has suggested as such. How could it be? The case touches on uniquely American issues -- race, crime, violence, racial profiling, cowboy mentalities, and most especially the obsession with firearms

More accurately, supporters of various social policy positions have used this case to advance their respective causes.

This I can't understand. Someone who keeps a sidearm on him legally with a concealed carry permit in an area with a high crime rate = firearm obsession? :|

Yes, that equals firearm obsession, as well as all the hysteria surrounding the ownership of firearms (and any possible measures to control firearm abuse in the U.S.A.).
Why is there such a high crime rate? Does the rampant ownership and lack of control of firearms have something to do with that? Why are there concealed carry permits for (questionable) civilians? Why is there such a need to own firearms in the U.S.A.?

I don't know if George Zimmerman is telling the truth or not. But if he is, and he didn't have his gun on him, Travon Martin could be the one sitting in the defendants chair for the murder of Zimmerman. :shrug:

Or, if he didn't have his gun on him and left Travon Martin alone, there wouldn't be a trial at all. Nor a dead person. :shrug:

Yes, that equals firearm obsession, as well as all the hysteria surrounding the ownership of firearms (and any possible measures to control firearm abuse in the U.S.A.).
Why is there such a high crime rate? Does the rampant ownership and lack of control of firearms have something to do with that? Why are there concealed carry permits for (questionable) civilians? Why is there such a need to own firearms in the U.S.A.?

Only caveat to this is that the overall crime rate in the US isn't that awful, and indeed we are at historic lows not seen since the 1960s.

It's US deaths by firearms that are incredibly out of wack from every other developed nation on earth.

Or, if he didn't have his gun on him and left Travon Martin alone, there wouldn't be a trial at all. Nor a dead person. :shrug:

It's indeed possible that Zimmerman is the one yelling for help and that he felt his life was in danger.

But if he had stayed in the car -- something he might have done had he not been carrying a concealed weapon -- Trayvon would likely be alive today.

And this is what gun control advocates are often talking about -- the mere presence if a gun anywhere (home or otherwise) increases the likelihood that someone will be killed by the firearm, by accident or otherwise.

No gun, no dead unarmed teenager.

Is carrying a gun illegal?
no.

Is following Trayvon silly?
yes

Is following Trayvon ILLEGAL?
no.

Is defending oneself illegal?
no.

Essentially, if Zimmerman's story is true, he has committed no illegal act. The only eyewitness confirms his story.

At the end of the day, Zimmerman is no more or less than a very stupid man with poor decision making abilities.

Is carrying a gun illegal?
no.

Is following Trayvon silly?
yes

Is following Trayvon ILLEGAL?
no.

Is defending oneself illegal?
no.

Essentially, if Zimmerman's story is true, he has committed no illegal act. The only eyewitness confirms his story.

At the end of the day, Zimmerman is no more or less than a very stupid man with poor decision making abilities.

I agree with everything you just said.

Which is why he shouldn't have had a gun.

But if he is, and he didn't have his gun on him, Travon Martin could be the one sitting in the defendants chair for the murder of Zimmerman. :shrug:

Right. Because Trayvon would've beat him to death with his bare hands and a bag of Skittles.

As for defending oneself, I'm sure Trayvon would've liked to have known that the guy chasing him through his father's neighborhood had a handgun before he chose to defend himself.

Last edited:
Zimmerman is going to walk, because he's not guilty of murder. There's plenty of evidence to back up his claim of self defense, and stand your ground is not even being argued in this case.

He's guilty of being reckless, he's guilty of being an idiot, having a hero complex, and probably of being a racist. But he's not gonna be found guilty of murder.

The result will likely be anger and racial unrest. The result should be a renewed fight for stricter gun control, as if Zimmerman didn't have a gun, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But if Newtown couldn't change anything, this case sure as hell won't.

Bingo. My guess is that he wouldn't have been playing vigilante justice in the first place if he didn't have that gun.

Must agree with Irvine - another bingo.

The idea of an armed neighborhood watch doesn't exactly sit well with me.

What makes you reach that conclusion?

Have you heard about how many people have been shot and killed
in Chicago the past week?

Where's the media and the attention on these tragic events?

Had he been white, Zimmerman's "suspicious person" alarm likely would not have gone off. And he would have stayed in the car like he was told.

Chicago is more evidence of the casual racism we see in the Trayvon case. Firstly, it is news, at least in conservative media because they're out to demonize all things Chicago. But aside from that, there's likely the soft bigotry of low expectations when it comes to urban violence.

We see this with missing person cases. If she's not blond, who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom