Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Sounds to me like two people who felt threatened and felt the need to "stand their ground."

I am always annoyed when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson show up. In general, they don't help.
__________________

__________________
maycocksean is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #107
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 03:47 PM
Except for the details about the initial altercation, there's really nothing new in the Orlando Sentinel's account--the Miami Herald cited Sanford police a week ago as saying Zimmerman's story involved Martin returning and jumping Zimmerman after Zimmerman had abandoned pursuit. So it was already a given that that would be the narrative any prosecutors involved would have to cast doubt on, and unfortunately for them we (apparently) have no eyewitnesses to the initial confrontation, only to the last couple minutes before the shooting (and conflicting accounts at that). If they didn't succeed in doing so--and the burden here would be on the prosecution to disprove, not on the defendant to prove--then yes, Zimmerman would almost certainly be let off, because according to his story he'd made an attempt to retreat, thus covering his tail even though he'd done the initial provoking.

That story really, really strains credulity though. Why would a highschool kid who was returning home from a snack run during the halftime of family night watching the NBA game, and who was initially frightened enough (per both Zimmerman's and the girlfriend's accounts) to run away from the strongly-built older man tailing him, respond to that man retreating by going 'OK, well now I'm gonna go back and beat the shit out of him' (without even bothering to hang up with his girlfriend, apparently)? If the claim were instead that Martin, from the very first moment he realized he was being followed, had wheeled around, charged and attacked Zimmerman, that to me would actually seem somewhat more plausible (though I'm guessing 'Stand Your Ground' would've justified Martin in doing that? and what do you do with a situation where both parties had a right to 'stand their ground,' anyway--whoever lives wins?). Or perhaps if Zimmerman had unwittingly retreated to a position where he was blocking Martin's access to his father's fiancee's house, such that Martin could've reasonably perceived him as lying in wait (wouldn't that also be 'stand your ground' from both ends?); that's the only plausible-seeming explanation I can think of for Zimmerman's story.

In any case, as other posters have noted, none of the possible scenarios change the fact that both Martin and Zimmerman would be alive and well today if Zimmerman hadn't chosen to play self-appointed cop, and engage in profiling on top of it.
__________________

__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #108
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Why would a highschool kid who was returning home from a snack run during the halftime of family night watching the NBA game, and who was initially frightened enough (per both Zimmerman's and the girlfriend's accounts) to run away from the strongly-built older man tailing him, respond to that man retreating by going 'OK, well now I'm gonna go back and beat the shit out of him' (without even bothering to hang up with his girlfriend, apparently)? If the claim were instead that Martin, from the very first moment he realized he was being followed, had wheeled around, charged and attacked Zimmerman, that to me would actually seem somewhat more plausible (though I'm guessing 'Stand Your Ground' would've justified Martin in doing that? and what do you do with a situation where both parties had a right to 'stand their ground,' anyway--whoever lives wins?). Or perhaps if Zimmerman had unwittingly retreated to a position where he was blocking Martin's access to his father's financee's house, such that Martin could've reasonably perceived him as lying in wait (wouldn't that also be 'stand your ground' from both ends?); that's the only plausible-seeming explanation I can think of for Zimmerman's story.
But creating ideal scenarios in your head is completely fruitless. What if he initially only saw Zimmerman in the dark and was unable to get a good read on him? What if, after seeing that Zimmerman was really just a portly middle aged man, he wasn't afraid any more? What if he was initially scared, but talked himself into standing up for himself after a few minutes. All of these are completely plausible. It's pointless to say "I think it happened this way and it's the only explanation"
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict
 
RavenBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The majestic Canuckian wilderness
Posts: 17,103
Local Time: 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Huh, that's interesting. I'm curious to see where everything goes with that information.

Again, regardless of what info comes out, Zimmerman NEVER should have pursued him, and NEVER should have been allowed to shoot him and walk away.

Exactly.
__________________
RavenBlue is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
Sounds to me like two people who felt threatened and felt the need to "stand their ground."

I am always annoyed when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson show up. In general, they don't help.
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #111
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
So many assumptions. Have you heard Zimmerman scream before? Why would he not be able to scream with someone sitting on top of him? What would have stopped him from getting his gun? I'm not taking either side on this. It's fucked up that someone got shot and killed, but there is some pretty brainless assumptions coming from both sides of the fence
Well a couple of things:

I've studied voice a little and there are certain characteristics in tone and timbre that you find in age, regardless of how deep or high a person's voice is. Many others have heard this as well. It's also doesn't sound consistent with his size, but that's pretty difficult to determine.

If one's head is being slammed up and down on concrete while screaming there would be noticable change in sound. Just make a sound and shake your head up and down. The screams I heard on the tapes all sound pretty consistent. And someone sitting on your chest would hinder and effect the sound you could create as well.

Now as far as the gun, I'm just placing all the accounts into an order. He turns around to be greeted by a punch that knocked him to the ground, then immediately starts to get his head slammed into the concrete. That's pretty disorientating, and he's pretty helpless since Martin is on top him. So he's helplessly screaming yet he has the capability to recover and out man the gun from Martin? Sure its plausible, but seems far fetched. It sounds like he's playing both sides. But what does the report say about Martin's blood on him, where was Martin when he was actually shot?

So I would say more educated guesses rather than "brainless assumptions".
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #112
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
But creating ideal scenarios in your head is completely fruitless.
Plausible, not ideal.

How else would you go about explaining the events of such an event?

This is exactly how it's done in the courtroom, you piece together the evidence you have.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Well a couple of things:

I've studied voice a little and there are certain characteristics in tone and timbre that you find in age, regardless of how deep or high a person's voice is. Many others have heard this as well. It's also doesn't sound consistent with his size, but that's pretty difficult to determine.

If one's head is being slammed up and down on concrete while screaming there would be noticable change in sound. Just make a sound and shake your head up and down. The screams I heard on the tapes all sound pretty consistent. And someone sitting on your chest would hinder and effect the sound you could create as well.
You've studied voice a little? Like, you're an expert or you've been on google?
You're right about it being difficult to determine, which is why you shouldn't make accusations about who it was screaming. All the other points about shaking your head and banging it on the ground are completely useless. You're listening to the sound of someone screaming many yards away over a telephone. You've got no way to determine any of these things and it's all completely worthless. It's not like the guy was making a constant "aaaaaaaaaaah" sound so you could hear the changes in pitch. It was random screaming.
I'll play the guessing game for a second anyway. What makes more sense? A man standing, pointing a gun at someone for 30 seconds while they scream, then shooting them in the stomach or someone getting beat on and screaming for 30 seconds until they pull their gun out and shoot?
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #114
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Plausible, not ideal.

How else would you go about explaining the events of such an event?

This is exactly how it's done in the courtroom, you piece together the evidence you have.
It's called conjecture and it absolutely does not hold up in a courtroom
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #115
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
But creating ideal scenarios in your head is completely fruitless. What if he initially only saw Zimmerman in the dark and was unable to get a good read on him? What if, after seeing that Zimmerman was really just a portly middle aged man, he wasn't afraid any more? What if he was initially scared, but talked himself into standing up for himself after a few minutes. All of these are completely plausible. It's pointless to say "I think it happened this way and it's the only explanation"
Eh? I was describing scenarios under which the broad outlines of Zimmerman's story might make sense to me, not saying "what I think happened." Chasing down a pursuer who's retreated wouldn't be "standing your ground" anyway, according to either the statute or to common sense; it would be provocative aggression, so you'd need to account for the shift to that.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #116
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Eh? I was describing scenarios under which the broad outlines of Zimmerman's story might make sense to me, not saying "what I think happened." Chasing down a pursuer who's retreated wouldn't be "standing your ground" anyway, according to either the statute or to common sense; it would be provocative aggression, so you'd need to account for the shift to that.
But to make assumptions like 'well, he ran at first, so he wouldn't have changed his mind and decided to confront Zimmerman' or 'Maybe Zimmerman was blocking his way back to his Mom's house and looked like he was lying in wait' have no basis in anything. Just because the guy initially ran doesn't mean that he couldn't have turned back around.
You guys are making all kinds of assumptions about this kid's actions based on what is allegedly a 5 year old photo of him. For all we know, he was an asshole. (just as Zimmerman could very well be an asshole)
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #117
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
It's called conjecture and it absolutely does not hold up in a courtroom
What are you talking about?

So in courtrooms do they only allow for videotaped footage of murders to be submitted and everyone else is set free?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
What are you talking about?

So in courtrooms do they only allow for videotaped footage of murders to be submitted and everyone else is set free?
Go ahead and read my other posts

You really think "well, maybe he was blocking the way back to his Mom's house' would stand up in court?? C'mon man. And I'm not picking on Yolland (Yolland is awesome), it was just the most recent
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #119
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,687
Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You've studied voice a little? Like, you're an expert or you've been on google?
Minored in school, and took an elective that was forensic audio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I'll play the guessing game for a second anyway. What makes more sense? A man standing, pointing a gun at someone for 30 seconds while they scream, then shooting them in the stomach or someone getting beat on and screaming for 30 seconds until they pull their gun out and shoot?
No one is arguing the first scenario.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 03-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post

No one is arguing the first scenario.
So what would the screaming have been about?
__________________

__________________
Jive Turkey is offline  
 

Tags
george zimmerman, stand your ground, trayvon martin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com