Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #871
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post

NO.

We are not talking about some unique law that Florida recently enacted. The laws governing this case all are rooted in common law. This type of case has been heard hundreds, if not thousands, of times.
So that puts this particular law above scrutiny? What exactly is your point?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #872
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Let me trace a hypothetical situation here. Person A is looking to cause a fight for whatever reason. Person A begins to hassle Person B, eventually throwing a punch at Person B. The punch misses. B swings back and connects, breaking A's nose. A pulls out a gun and shoots B in the head. A then claims self-defense, citing the broken nose and a fear of being killed. As far as I can tell, based on the verdict of the Zimmerman case, A has broken no laws. Does this not sound insane?
Taking the first swing completely changes the the situation. In this case, it was never established that Zimmerman initiated the physical confrontation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
If I am beating you up - with the full intention just to beat you up - and the thought of KILLING you never even crossing my mind - why should I have to pay with my life because you are such a weak baby that punches to your head constitute a threat to your life?

At what point does someone being physically stronger than you amount to a threat to your life? At the point where you begin to get scared? So now that is the justification? It's just tough to pin that down.

I just think it's totally unreasonable that he thought he was going to be killed. Not that he DIDN'T believe that, but it's like...those morons who believe 9/11 was an inside job. It's not that they don't believe it, it's that it's ridiculous to believe it. And so, Zimmerman is fine and dandy as far as the law is concerned because he was scared enough? This might be consistent with the law but it doesn't feel right. Shouldn't there be an objective measure w/r/t this? I know it's probably impossible.
It was the "Even if he thought he would be killed" (or something like that. Can't remember the wording) that I was responding to. If not using it when you think you're about to be killed, when is the appropriate time? He didn't even have to believe he was about to be beaten to death; being beaten to the point of permanent injury was a real danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
If he ends up killing another person because of said inexperience? Absolutely he should be held responsible.
If he's not the one who initiated the fight, his inexperience is irrelevant. He apparently didn't want to fight in the first place, so why should he have to take a beating?

Old 07-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #873
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
I know it's not a Stand Your Ground case. I mean the gun laws.
Stand your ground was included in the jury instructions.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #874
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
This type of case has been heard hundreds, if not thousands, of times.
I have to wonder if this is true. If so why are there so many inexperienced vigilantes? Maybe something should be done about neighborhood watch officials? I think his pursuit probably makes this case somewhat rare, I would think, if not then I think we may have a wannabecop problem in this country and we're going to end up with a lot of innocent dead people.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #875
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
If he's not the one who initiated the fight, his inexperience is irrelevant. He apparently didn't want to fight in the first place, so why should he have to take a beating?
Maybe he shouldn't have been the self appointed neighborhood watch (and packing heat) if he doesn't know how to handle himself in a fight and would freak out and shoot someone who got the better of him in one.

Speaking of packing heat... Zimmerman apparently had a prior record of assault against an officer, and a restraining order from an ex-fiancée - and yet he was still legally allowed to concealed carry?

Nope, gun laws have nothing to do with this...
Old 07-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #876
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Taking the first swing completely changes the the situation. In this case, it was never established that Zimmerman initiated the physical confrontation.
Right, but what if Z did actually initiate the fight? Furthermore, how many fights have absolute clarity in terms of initial aggression? Is the person who initiates physical conflict always the one to blame? Certainly in the absence of witnesses and sometimes even with them, the law seems to be condoning deadly force as a resolution to conflict. That doesn't sit well with me.

And, again, if we look closely at Z's injuries, he was nowhere close to death. I just can't accept the argument that his reaction - to shoot the kid directly in the chest - was commensurate with what he was suffering through. His perception of danger should not be a justification for his actions.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #877
45:33

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Not sure if this has been posted already, but former poster Onebloodonelife (I always go to type that as 1blo0d, thanks mofo) posted this on Facebook. Similar case, if not even more ridiculous reaction from the white man killing the black man.

Jordan Davis update: Michael Dunn charged with first-degree murder, trial scheduled for September 23
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #878
The Fly

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted already, but former poster Onebloodonelife (I always go to type that as 1blo0d, thanks mofo) posted this on Facebook. Similar case, if not even more ridiculous reaction from the white man killing the black man.

Jordan Davis update: Michael Dunn charged with first-degree murder, trial scheduled for September 23
Then there's one in Houston where the black woman killed the white man.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8815444
Old 07-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #879
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
at least somebody knows what time it is

Bruce Springsteen dedicates 'American Skin' to Trayvon Martin at Ireland show on Tuesday | NJ.com

Trayvon died because he is black and Zimmerman walked because he is white.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #880
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
It is tragic, emotionally-charged, twitter-ready statements like this that keeps this country divided.

BTW - Zimmerman is as "white" as President Obama.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #881
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
at least somebody knows what time it is

Bruce Springsteen dedicates 'American Skin' to Trayvon Martin at Ireland show on Tuesday | NJ.com

If you make your legal decisions based on celebrity opinions, you are in a a very sad place.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #882
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim722 View Post
Then there's one in Houston where the black woman killed the white man.

Jonathan Ables' parents in disbelief over alleged road rage incident | abc13.com
On the surface - without all the facts - my sympathy is with the black female here. A man getting out of his car and banging on her windows is certainly an aggressive act...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #883
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post

Not even close to being a similar case
Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 AM   #884
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
And, again, if we look closely at Z's injuries, he was nowhere close to death...
Only because Zimmerman ended the fight with a bullet. Also, you cannot under-estimate a broken nose. I've had my nose broken in a fight - it's horrible and you lose balance, sight, ability...etc.

Martin was a self-proclaimed wanna be gangsta - there is nothing in his advertised persona that screams integrity or restraint. He has already called Zimmerman a "cracka" just moments before the fight - which we now know means "slave overseer with da' whip". If anyone had an ax to grind - it now seems it was Martin.

If a white man had said the N-word on the phone moments before breaking the nose and pinning a black person to the ground - this would be entirely different conversation.

The hypocrisy here is astounding...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #885
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Based on TM texts about violence, guns, drugs...is it possible he was trying to at least look, well, like a "gangsta"?

We must be honest here - in most suburban neighborhoods an older teenager walking around in the rain at night, in between houses, wearing a hoodie - certainly seems out of place, if not suspicious.

There is so much wrong with what you wrote here.
Do you want to rephrase or retract any of it?

Tags
george zimmerman, stand your ground, trayvon martin