Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #841
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I don't think you really believe this. Are you implying that Zimmerman, assuming he thought he might die, should just give up knowing he had a gun and could possibly save his life? Would the thought ever occur to you in that situation "well, this guy is physically stronger than me... I have a gun... but I'll just let him beat me to death"?
If I am beating you up - with the full intention just to beat you up - and the thought of KILLING you never even crossing my mind - why should I have to pay with my life because you are such a weak baby that punches to your head constitute a threat to your life?

At what point does someone being physically stronger than you amount to a threat to your life? At the point where you begin to get scared? So now that is the justification? It's just tough to pin that down.

I just think it's totally unreasonable that he thought he was going to be killed. Not that he DIDN'T believe that, but it's like...those morons who believe 9/11 was an inside job. It's not that they don't believe it, it's that it's ridiculous to believe it. And so, Zimmerman is fine and dandy as far as the law is concerned because he was scared enough? This might be consistent with the law but it doesn't feel right. Shouldn't there be an objective measure w/r/t this? I know it's probably impossible.
__________________

__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #842
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Not if I saw that he had a gun and he wasn't identifying himself.
I don't think Trayvon could have seen that he had a gun tucked away in the dark.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Excuse me? When did Zimmerman use his words? Apparently he's a lousy follower, so did he ever ID himself?
According to him, he didn't get a chance to explain himself. Was he supposed to while he was getting beaten? He did call for help.
__________________

__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #843
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
If I am beating you up - with the full intention just to beat you up - and the thought of KILLING you never even crossing my mind - why should I have to pay with my life because you are such a weak baby that punches to your head constitute a threat to your life?

At what point does someone being physically stronger than you amount to a threat to your life? At the point where you begin to get scared? So now that is the justification?
Legally speaking:

Quote:
A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
Zimmerman had already had his nose shattered, the back of his head beat into concrete, and was still pinned beneath Martin. Legally, he was entitled to shoot Martin.

Now - a case can be made to repeal this law, but this was the law of the land at the time the Zimmerman/Martin fight started.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #844
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,435
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
You can come to quite a number of different results in a case when you invent facts.
Maybe I'm not making my point well. My issue is not with verdict, but rather with the law. The precedent would seem to be that in any altercation without witnesses, the last person standing is innocent.
__________________
iron yuppie is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #845
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
My issue is not with verdict, but rather with the law.
I wish more people would get out there and say exactly this. Thank you.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #846
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Maybe I'm not making my point well. My issue is not with verdict, but rather with the law. The precedent would seem to be that in any altercation without witnesses, the last person standing is innocent.
But doesn't that go back to "innocent until proven guilty?" If you can't prove guilt how can you convict?
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #847
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: slovenija
Posts: 20,951
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Maybe I've been reading things wrong, but isn't this point moot now? Wasn't the lesser charge of manslaughter always an option for the jury?
The six woman jury finds George Zimmerman not guilty. They had three choices: to find Zimmerman guilty of second-degree murder; to find him guilty of the lesser charge of manslaughter; or to find him not guilty. The jurors deliberated for more than 16 hours total, including 13 on Saturday alone.

I thought the only option was 2nd degree murder/not guilty ?
__________________
U2girl is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:29 PM   #848
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
If I am beating you up - with the full intention just to beat you up - and the thought of KILLING you never even crossing my mind - why should I have to pay with my life because you are such a weak baby that punches to your head constitute a threat to your life?
If you play in traffic you might get hit by a car. I think that's the chance someone takes when they willingly choose to assault someone. I know that sounds cold but why should the burden be taken off the attacker and placed on someone who wasn't doing anything wrong?

Quote:
I just think it's totally unreasonable that he thought he was going to be killed. Not that he DIDN'T believe that, but it's like...those morons who believe 9/11 was an inside job. It's not that they don't believe it, it's that it's ridiculous to believe it. And so, Zimmerman is fine and dandy as far as the law is concerned because he was scared enough? This might be consistent with the law but it doesn't feel right. Shouldn't there be an objective measure w/r/t this?
You have much a much different thought process going during a fight than sitting at your computer reading about 9/11. I totally understand how while reading and hearing about it that is seems unreasonable Zimmerman felt it necessary to shoot Trayvon. But it's not unreasonable when you're in the moment and you feel trapped and helpless. Most people would feel terrified. Especially when the blows are coming to your face and the back of your head is being beaten against the sidewalk. You're not going to think much about the possible consequences, you're just going to want to escape any way possible.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #849
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEON View Post
Zimmerman had already had his nose shattered, the back of his head beat into concrete, and was still pinned beneath Martin. Legally, he was entitled to shoot Martin.

Now - a case can be made to repeal this law, but this was the law of the land at the time the Zimmerman/Martin fight started.
This was not a Stand Your Grand case. It was a self-defense case.
The difference is that in standard self-defense cases you are required to make an attempt to flee the threat. SYG says you don't have to try to flee.

I am not discussing the verdict. They made the decision they had to make.
I am just talking about a clearer version of truth. But also the general idea of these types of laws.

But your description of the wounds are your embellishment. His nose wasn't "shattered". It was a partial break, likely set at the scene. And he had TWO cuts on the back of his head, one an inch long, the other one much smaller. "Great bodily harm"? You guys must not have ever been in any fights or maybe you grew up without a brother or something. I've seen worse from backyard football. I mean, fuck. Again, I'm not saying GZ didn't (personally) feel threatened (even though objectively, it strains the credulity of my own perspective). I'm saying apparently Trayvon Martin is dead, effectively, because GZ was a pussy.

If GZ doesn't have a gun, does ANYONE here believe Trayvon kills him?
ANYONE? Why? Explain to me what Trayvon Martin's motivation for attempting to kill him wold have been.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:56 PM   #850
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
But your description of the wounds are your embellishment. His nose wasn't "shattered". It was a partial break, likely set at the scene. And he had TWO cuts on the back of his head, one an inch long, the other one much smaller. "Great bodily harm"? You guys must not have ever been in any fights or maybe you grew up without a brother or something.
Was GZ able to look at and analyze his wounds and determine they weren't life threatening while Martin was on top of him? For all he knew he could have been bleeding out the back of his head all over. That being said he was definitely a pussy who'd never been in a fight, but should he be held responsible for that?

Quote:
If GZ doesn't have a gun, does ANYONE here believe Trayvon kills him?
ANYONE? Why? Explain to me what Trayvon Martin's motivation for attempting to kill him wold have been.
If he continued to bash his head against the concrete he probably could have eventually. I cant imagine Trayvon would actually do that, although he probably would have left GZ with much worse injuries than what he had. But again, this goes back to the whole fight/flight thought process that would have been going through Zimmerman's mind. He's not thinking "okay I'll just let him keep beating me like this I'll be okay."
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #851
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
You're not going to think much about the possible consequences, you're just going to want to escape any way possible.
And therefore, you shouldn't be accountable to those consequences because you didn't choose to think about them?

Look, I think they got the verdict right. And I get the arguments for GZ being acquitted but I don't care about the legal case. That is settled. And I might bring my own biases to the table, in terms of how I see this beating...but morally, it's all pretty troubling.

Also, I do believe people have a firm right to defend themselves and I am certainly not a gun control nut (aside from semi-automatics). I just don't think the entire truth was shared here. And if that was the case, then how can I trust the only first-hand witness? That's all.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #852
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I don't think Trayvon could have seen that he had a gun tucked away in the dark.




According to him, he didn't get a chance to explain himself. Was he supposed to while he was getting beaten? He did call for help.
Like I said, this is the part of the story that we don't know. Legally I can presume Zimmerman as innocent while not trusting a known liar.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #853
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
You guys must not have ever been in any fights or maybe you grew up without a brother or something. I've seen worse from backyard football.
Well - I've had my nose broke in a fight and you almost blackout. You certainly can't see straight for several minutes and you really lose the ability to comprehend the situation.

I've seen some brutal fights in my life - and is some of those instances, if the fight was not broken up by someone else - there would have been permanent injury or even death. Simply put - how much of a beating was Zimmerman expected to take before he could decide if he was being threatened with more bodily harm? If Martin had simply stopped with one or two punches - perhaps the gun never comes out - and if it did, manslaughter seems like a reasonable charge against Zimmerman. But Martin kept at it - he not only punched Zimmerman, he pinned him down and kept punching him.

In my opinion - that was the single most tragic mistake by either person - Martin pinning Zimmerman to the ground and pummeling him. It was not until then that the gun is pulled out.
__________________
AEON is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #854
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Maybe I'm not making my point well. My issue is not with verdict, but rather with the law. The precedent would seem to be that in any altercation without witnesses, the last person standing is innocent.
No legal precedent was establish in this case. The factual determination of the jury carries no weight with any other legal case.

And, as always, we start with the presumption of innocence. The prosecution failed to prove otherwise.
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #855
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Was GZ able to look at and analyze his wounds and determine they weren't life threatening while Martin was on top of him? For all he knew he could have been bleeding out the back of his head all over. That being said he was definitely a pussy who'd never been in a fight, but should he be held responsible for that?
He wasn't reacting due to wounds anyway, like you said he wouldn't have known. He was probably reacting because he still thought this was a criminal that he had caught in the act and this criminal was now going to kill him. And if so, should he be responsible for making that poor initial assumption?

And let me be clear. There's nothing wrong with having never been in a fight and there's nothing wrong with not being able to defend yourself in that manner. But when you decide to go out and 'pick fights' and then end them with a gun, I'm going to call you a pussy.
__________________

__________________
U2DMfan is offline  
 

Tags
george zimmerman, stand your ground, trayvon martin

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com