Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #271
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:19 PM

Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #272
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Second-degree murder, wow. More than what the original homicide investigator had been pressing for.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #273
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:19 PM
Trayvon Martin's [I]accused[/I] murderer George Zimmerman is no longer a free man

I thought Prosecutor Corey did a very good job, she took a lot of questions.
She was unflappable.

The charges seem right to me.
Zimmerman brought this upon himself.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Ok, I could have began with, A lot of people are saying,

I think arguments should stand (or fall) on their own merits.
Since when is conversing in the style you do considered appropriate? Do you walk around in real life doing the same thing? It's antisocial and borderline sociopathic.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Second-degree murder, wow. More than what the original homicide investigator had been pressing for.
Yeah, that's a pretty serious charge, definitely. But an appropriate one, I think.

I'm glad he's been charged.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 AM   #276
Forum Moderator

Most lawyers I know were betting on manslaughter charges, based on the picture the fragmentary evidence leaked to the press appeared to paint of the incident. Of course, Corey had access to all kinds of info they didn't; she interviewed all the eyewitnesses, the girlfriend, had forensic audio analysis of the 911 calls, she would've seen the coroner's report as well as any documentation of Zimmerman's injuries at the time, etc.

Zimmerman's new lawyer has said he'll claim 'Stand Your Ground,' so that will entitle him to an evidentiary hearing, at which the judge could still opt to dismiss the charges rather than letting the case proceed to trial.

The way the coverage of this case has brought the rats out of the woodwork has really been something...I'm accustomed to semi-literate boneheads (from all parts of the spectrum), laughably inept concern trolls, and so forth popping up in comments sections of even relatively 'highbrow' publications, but I'm not used to seeing Stormfront-type, unabashedly crude racists there in the way they have been the last couple weeks.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #277
Galeonbroad

I'm really glad he's finally caught. This has taken way too long already.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

I thought it would be manslaughter. There better be plenty of evidence that is not public knowledge yet, or this is overcharged and they'll never get a conviction.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

I'm not really understanding the "stand your ground" defense. I thought that applied more towards your own home/property? For example, being in Michigan, if my home is invaded I am technically allowed to use more force than is used on me (ie, I don't have to wait for the invader to attack me before using a weapon or sending my dog). But Zimmerman was out following Martin around and was not at his home/property, no? I've tried to stay out of this one and avoid all the speculation. Maybe I understand the "castle law" wrong...?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I'm not really understanding the "stand your ground" defense. I thought that applied more towards your own home/property? For example, being in Michigan, if my home is invaded I am technically allowed to use more force than is used on me (ie, I don't have to wait for the invader to attack me before using a weapon or sending my dog). But Zimmerman was out following Martin around and was not at his home/property, no? I've tried to stay out of this one and avoid all the speculation. Maybe I understand the "castle law" wrong...?
Stand your ground is no duty to retreat in any location, can be a public place. Castle is just the home. I looked it up myself because I was confused about it too.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #281
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

"Stand your ground" takes 'Castle Law' one step further and applies it to basically anywhere. It's an extremely controversial law and I think this story(no matter what the actual details) shows how this law can be abused.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Weird. Wouldn't it be applied in reverse in this case? At least from what I gather, Z was the one creeping up on M, so wouldn't M be able to "stand his ground" against Z, following him around with a weapon?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #283
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't understand how manslaughter would be applicable here. If you pull out a gun and shoot someone, is it not implied that you were trying to kill them?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds like Zimmerman is innocent to me. I doubt he even shot the kid.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #285
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I thought it would be manslaughter. There better be plenty of evidence that is not public knowledge yet, or this is overcharged and they'll never get a conviction.
In FL, manslaughter is automatically a lesser included offense to a second-degree murder charge. So even if a jury didn't agree it was murder, they could still convict Zimmerman of manslaughter instead. (Alternatively, he might also be able to get a plea deal reducing the charge to manslaughter.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Weird. Wouldn't it be applied in reverse in this case? At least from what I gather, Z was the one creeping up on M, so wouldn't M be able to "stand his ground" against Z, following him around with a weapon?
FL's self-defense laws do state that the 'Stand Your Ground' defense is not available to anyone who provokes violence against himself, however, A) the statute nowhere defines "provokes," so prosecutors have to make that case, and furthermore B) there's a qualifier that even a provoker may still claim SYG if he reasonably considered the retaliatory violence to threaten death or grave bodily harm (g.b.h. = loss of limb or the like, NOT bruises etc.) and had no other way to avoid that fate.

But yeah, this problem seems to me to be present in so many of the SYG cases I've read about now--I'll read the summary of what happened and think, Well, okay, sounds to me like the victim was just doing what any reasonable person might've done in response to what this idiot defendant did first, so doesn't this really just boil down to 'whoever shoots first walks?'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I don't understand how manslaughter would be applicable here. If you pull out a gun and shoot someone, is it not implied that you were trying to kill them?
That's not how manslaughter works in the US. While different states' definitions do vary, I don't think there are any where the mere fact that you knowingly pulled your gun and shot would make manslaughter inapplicable. Very often manslaughter cases are "crimes of passion," for example, you'd just then discovered that your victim had been sleeping with your wife, which could cause a reasonable person such loss of control as to mitigate culpability somewhat. Or, more generally, lethal acts that resulted from an extremely "reckless" or "wanton" mindset, rather than the "depraved" mindset FL law explicitly associates with second-degree murder. (Not being a FL lawyer, I don't know exactly how they customarily interpret "depraved," but the gist of it seems to be that even though you didn't plan to kill in advance, you still showed, in the moment, a cold and callous disregard for the life of your victim, as opposed to being solely driven by blind rage, blind panic, or whatever else might render it manslaughter.) Manslaughter is still a very serious offense, for example under FL law Zimmerman could serve up to 30 years if convicted of it, especially since his victim was under 18.

Tags
george zimmerman, stand your ground, trayvon martin