Trayvon Martin's murderer George Zimmerman is still a free man - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #151
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
All these other "revelations" about...Trayvon attacking Zimmerman don't mean a hell of a lot to me.
They shouldn't matter, but unfortunately the fact that that's Zimmerman's story will matter a great deal legally, particularly since there were apparently no eyewitnesses to the initial physical confrontation. It won't matter that Zimmerman gave Martin good cause to fear he meant him harm by chasing him, if it can't be disproven beyond a reasonable doubt that A) he'd subsequently abandoned the chase and retreated before Martin allegedly attacked him and B) Martin's attack gave him reasonable cause to believe death or grave bodily harm to himself was imminent. That's just a pessimistic comment on what seems likely legally, not on what the case more broadly represents concerning racial profiling and bias, or gun control and the culture of vigilantism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post
I am always annoyed when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson show up. In general, they don't help.
There was some discussion about this among the group of people we attended the Indy protest with. I think there might be a couple things going on there; on an obvious level there's the problem that both men, especially Sharpton, are widely seen as controversial, but I think there might also be some amount of cultural disconnect concerning whether and when it's desirable for protests to have perceived "leaders" at all. I'm not really sure what to make of the latter idea, kind of wish I'd prodded some of the people expressing that to unpack it more.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

the founding fathers designed it to be a living, breathing document. not the word of god.
Problem is that's not how it's generally been interpreted by US courts. The "living tree" doctrine is something you'll see referred to by the Canadian Supreme Court almost as a matter of doctrine, but the same just can't be said south of the border.

I'd love to dabble in constitutional law someday, just fascinating.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:32 AM
I want to see justice and due process prevail but since this is now turned into another circus... might as well have some clowns !!

Rep Bobby Rush Gets Kicked Off House Floor For Wearing Hoodie For Trayvon - YouTube
Old 03-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life

The whole hoodie thing seems like a lame attempt to latch onto some sort of symbol where there wasn't one. Who would've thought Geraldo's voice carried such gravitas?
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #155
Forum Moderator

Geraldo said that in response to hoodies (and Skittles, though he didn't mention those) becoming symbols at protests, not the other way around. No one thinks either item has much of anything to do with why Trayvon Martin was shot. It's just an image people can relate to, that's a common protest tactic.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
No one thinks either item has much of anything to do with why Trayvon Martin was shot.
Which is why it's so lame
Old 03-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #157
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Apparently the lead investigator on the night of the incident was not convinced with Zimmerman's account and wanted him arrested and charged with manslaughter:

Trayvon Martin lead investigator wanted George Zimmerman arrested the night of the fatal shooting - Crimesider - CBS News

Just heard this reported on NPR a few minutes ago as well.

Edit: Oops, sorry MrsS, didn't see you'd posted this a page back.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life

Hold on.... Zimmerman is 28??? My god, man
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #159
ONE
love, blood, life

Hmm, certainly doesn't look beat up

Footage Of Zimmerman Arrested Shows No Bruises Or Blood After He Claimed "Trayvon" Attacked Him - YouTube
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:32 PM
Well that is very telling. You are right Jive. It doesn't look like someone who just had his head bashed into the pavement.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #161
Forum Moderator

Looks like the claims about him weighing 100+ lbs. more than Trayvon Martin were way off...he's 5'9" according to the preliminary police report (which didn't give his weight), if that's correct then no way is that guy that heavy. It was apparent in the more recent employee photo of him that started circulating last week that he'd lost a lot of weight since the mugshot, but I wouldn't have guessed that much.

He was treated by paramedics at the scene so I wouldn't expect him to look all bloody (if he was in the first place), though it's certainly true he doesn't look like what you picture when you hear "broken nose and head bashed on sidewalk."

ETA--Looks like the YouTube video has been taken down, here's a link to ABC's footage: http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/georg...lance-16024475

Old 03-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #162
ONE
love, blood, life

There's big controversy at my university for this cartoon appearing in the school's newspaper:

I don't know the person who drew it, but I know people who do, which is a little surreal to me.

Trayvon Martin Cartoon: University Of Texas Student Newspaper Pulls Controversial Illustration
Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #163
45:33

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize
There's big controversy at my university for this cartoon appearing in the school's newspaper:

I don't know the person who wrote it, but I know people who do, which is a little surreal to me.

Trayvon Martin Cartoon: University Of Texas Student Newspaper Pulls Controversial Illustration
That cartoon just seems completely unnecessary
Old 03-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post

He was treated by paramedics at the scene so I wouldn't expect him to look all bloody (if he was in the first place), though it's certainly true he doesn't look like what you picture when you hear "broken nose and head bashed on sidewalk."
Ya, I assumed he would've been cleaned up a bit by then, but even still, you figure there would be something to see. It's hard to get a decent look at the back of his head because some genius at abc figured it was a good spot to stick their watermark

edit: Actually, at 0:49 you can definitely see the officer lean over and check out the back of his head. Interesting
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #165
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post

I don't know the person who drew it, but I know people who do, which is a little surreal to me.

"We could go with a cartoon that deals with this issue in a mature, reasonable manner...

...or we could come up with that instead. Yeah, that looks good."

Wow.

Tags
george zimmerman, stand your ground, trayvon martin