Transgendered Neuroscientist Saw Gender Bias Firsthand - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

How would you like it if you did something great at work and your boss said your wife must have done it for you? :
happens all the time to me

you still can't rule out that her 2nd speech could have been better than his first based on content.

dbs

Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sad to say, but sexism is rampant all OVER academia, not just in the fields of science.

I've seen it in my graduate program and several of my jobs. And don't even get me started on the monetary discrepancies.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:40 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:

Maybe we should start a womens' corner in FYM Seriously, it can be frustrating sometimes.
I like the idea. We'll just talk at the other end of the table.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

happens all the time to me
The point is diamond that it wouldn't happen to you

And I'll see you at the other end of the table Bono's Saint

I'm sure sexism is rampant all over academia, I'm sorry you have to deal with that Heartland Girl. Rather ironic isn't it, aren't people who are supposedly of superior intelligence supposed to be more enlightened than that? Oh yeah, I forgot-they have massive egos and male insecurities.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Is there still room at the end of the table? Let's start plotting taking over the whole thing
Old 07-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Well all I can say is on a weekly/daily basis I hear women and men speak professionally in my occupation, and in my church.

Sometimes women far excel the men and vice versa.

Knowing your material, the subject matter, eye contact etc etc are what I base my judgement on the quality of a speech.

It has nothing to do w the gender of the speaker.

I think the original writer of the article *could* be trying to manipulate women with this article.

Based on tenure the he of the she could of gave a better talk is all.

I actually favor female bosses over male for the record, that's why in my home the wife=the boss.

out,
dbs
Old 07-14-2006, 01:57 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry I'm confused diamond-what article and what speaker and what talk are you referring to?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:06 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

the article you posted.

dbs
Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

So you think the author of the article I posted is trying to manipulate women? It's a factual reality, what happened at Harvard with Summers et al. They can try to hide their sexist thoughts and actions behind "science" all they want, women aren't that easily manipulated . Neither are men.

The fact that this article points out is that a man, now living as a woman, realized and experienced the reality of gender bias. How can you dispute that? How is the author of this article manipulating that?
Old 07-14-2006, 02:25 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Well all I can say is on a weekly/daily basis I hear women and men speak professionally in my occupation, and in my church.

Sometimes women far excel the men and vice versa.

Knowing your material, the subject matter, eye contact etc etc are what I base my judgement on the quality of a speech.

It has nothing to do w the gender of the speaker.

I think the original writer of the article *could* be trying to manipulate women with this article.

Based on tenure the he of the she could of gave a better talk is all.

I actually favor female bosses over male for the record, that's why in my home the wife=the boss.

out,
dbs
I don't in particular care if you prefer male or female bosses and I'd prefer that you do not compare trials and tribulations of running a home to the very different challenges of having a successful and personally full-filling career.

Maybe Dr. Barres second talk was indeed better. Maybe not. It's not really all that central to the issue at hand. The comment that sparked Dr. Barres rather aggresive commentary in last weeks edition of Nature was a public statement made by Mr. Larry Summers, President of Harvard, that the reason why women are under-represented in the higher levels of science if because they/we are less innately suited for science than men. This is a view that many, otherwise enlightened and intelligent scientists, have supported. It is complete bollocks and certainly flies in the face of my experience with the hallowed scientific community. And it's not simple anecdotal evidence: One recent study shows that a female applicant has to be 2.5 times as productive as a male applicant in order to be considered equally competent and thereby receive funding. It simply boggles the mind.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:35 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
So you think the author of the article I posted is trying to manipulate women? It's a factual reality, what happened at Harvard with Summers et al. They can try to hide their sexist thoughts and actions behind "science" all they want, women aren't that easily manipulated . Neither are men.

The fact that this article points out is that a man, now living as a woman, realized and experienced the reality of gender bias. How can you dispute that? How is the author of this article manipulating that?
Gina,
You exhaust me.

It just so happens that the 2nd speech could of been better than the first speech.

Gender *could* have nothing but the speech deiverer's *tenure*.

And for the record I dont think gender should have anything to do with the performance of:

pilots
scientists
doctors
golf players
or
race car drivers.

Tenure/experience could and does make the difference in anyboy's chosen profession.

Get it? Make sense?

thx,

dbs
Old 07-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by silja

I don't in particular care if you prefer male or female bosses and I'd prefer that you do not compare trials and tribulations of running a home to the very different challenges of having a successful and personally full-filling career.

Maybe Dr. Barres second talk was indeed better. Maybe not. It's not really all that central to the issue at hand.
Well in the example used..there are holes in the logic is my point.

dbs
Old 07-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Gee sorry for being so exhausting to you diamond, and there's no need to insult me like that-especially with the "get it" part, that's really uncalled for Your condescending tone is insulting.

I've shown you respect in this thread, so I respectfully state that you don't "get it". You don't get the point of the article or the thread.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:37 AM
I see some gender bias in here all the time.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:58 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I see some gender bias in here all the time.
Such as? I'm just curious what you mean by that-in topics/posts or in FYM in general