Trained Guide Dog Banned From Second Grader's School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I'm posting the whole article because the link will expire tomorrow

So what do you think-is the school being unfair and/or unreasonable? Are they discriminating against this girl? Are her parents asking too much?

1155724777_6023.jpg

By Maria Cramer, Globe Staff | August 16, 2006

Hailey Manduca has only one close friend: a golden retriever-Labrador mix named Indy.

The Scituate second-grader, who suffers from a rare disorder that causes her bones to break easily, has poor balance, cannot roughhouse with other children, and needs help climbing stairs. ``Nobody wants to play with her, because she can't do what other kids do," Hailey's mother, Cheryl, said yesterday. ``Indy is it for her."

Indy, short for Independence, has been Hailey's service dog since last August and follows the 8-year-old almost everywhere she goes. Everywhere except school.

Scituate school officials have barred Indy, saying that on the few occasions Indy has visited Jenkins Elementary School, the 2-year-old dog has growled and barked at students and teachers.

``The dog was poorly trained and aggressive," said Mary Ellen Sowyrda, a lawyer for the district. ``There is a safety issue. We don't want kids getting bitten."

Earlier this month, school officials and Cheryl Manduca met with a state-appointed mediator, who drew up an agreement between the two sides. Sowyrda declined to discuss the details of the agreement, but Manduca said she refused to sign it because it only called for a human aide for Hailey, which she said is required by law because of her daughter's condition. Manduca said school officials told her that neither Indy nor any other service dog would be allowed at the school.

Hailey said she would rather be home schooled than be apart from Indy. ``I'm very upset about this. I want my service animal," she said in a telephone interview yesterday from her house.

She has a severe form of osteogenesis imperfecta, a congenital disease that causes brittle bones, and has suffered 60 broken bones, her mother said.

Indy pulls Hailey's manual wheelchair when the little girl is too tired to walk. When Hailey, who also has dwarfism, walks down stairs, she leans on Indy as if she were a railing.

Sowyrda said school officials were excited to learn last year that there would be a dog at the school. But they became wary when the dog's trainer failed to show up at scheduled appointments at the school, she said. When the trainer did show up, the dog had to be muzzled, and on more than one occasion Indy barked at teachers and students, Sowyrda said.

School officials ``are absolutely unopposed to properly trained service dogs," she said. ``We're not the bad guys here."

Katrin Andberg, who has trained Indy since she was a puppy, denied that she ever failed to show up for appointments and said Indy never needed a muzzle. During one visit to the school she placed a collar on Indy that wraps around the dog's snout. The collar was supposed to help Hailey lead Indy around the school, Andberg said.

``She's one of the friendliest dogs I've ever worked with," said Andberg, who runs Maplewood Assistance Partners Inc. in Foxborough. ``She's very kid-friendly. That's one of the reasons I placed her with Hailey."

Getting another dog is out of the question, Cheryl Manduca said. The wait for service dogs can be two years because of the training they must receive, she said. Service dogs can take from 6 to 18 months to train properly, Andberg said.

Hailey, who doctors said would not live more than a week when she was born, has bonded with Indy, Cheryl Manduca said.

``[We] need to be together," Hailey said.

some comments on the paper's online message board

"Send the brat and her pooch someplace else. There's no reason why such a clearly aggressive and dangerous dog should be in the presence of schoolchildren. If I were a parent and if that dumb dog bit or lunged after my kids, I would have been furious and filed a lawsuit so fast it would make that girl's head spin. Let's be real: dogs don't belong in school. They pose immediate health and safety risks for young children. If the kid's bones break easily, then she should go to a special school or be educated at home."

"I am appalled at this display of pure meaness. Hasn't this girl suffered enough?? This animal makes the world a safer place for her, what are the chances he' s going to hurt someone else. This dog is trained to deal with sick children. These officials are just looking for an easy way out. Replacing the dog with a human aid takes security and safety away from a brave little girl who is only trying to fit in with the children around her."

"We live in a culture of entitlement. "I have a right to do this; I have a right to do that." You do not have a right to bring animals to school! Hello, common sense! This shouldn't even be up for discussion, here."

"It's a tough call. I think that having the guide dog present in school would help not only Hailey, but the other children to understand her condition better as well. I also can't imagine that a professionally trained guide dog would exhibit aggressive behavior. The school's defense lawyer was quoted as saying, ``The dog was poorly trained and aggressive," but I don't think she should be the final word. Why not bring in a qualified, outside party to determine whether or not the dog should be around children and teachers. "

Hard question. If the dog has in fact growled and barked, it's probably not showing aggression, but being protective of the child. However, I find that unacceptable for a properly trained service dog. The dog needs to be assessed by a behaviorist, not anyone who happened to observe the "aggressive" behavior.

I don't see this as a matter of discrimination when the school is placed in the difficult situation of assessing an apparently improperly trained service dog. The dog may be protecting the girl, but it would also be disruptive in class if always protecting the girl.

one party says the dog isn't properly trained, the other party says it is

I feel it's hard to say much on this matter as long as this isn't cleared up

if the dog doesn't cause a disruption during lessons I don't see a problem
reasoning that the dog could strike out and bite doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless the case is to get rid of dogs as a domestic pet entirely

I think that a compromise can be reached whereas the dog would be muzzled during school hours so as not to disrupt or endanger the other students.

AchtungBono said:
I think that a compromise can be reached whereas the dog would be muzzled during school hours so as not to disrupt or endanger the other students.

Agreed, however if the dog is being protective and showing aggression, it does need to be properly trained and socialized. A muzzle will prevent an incident, but the dog won't change and will always be a liability.

I think once you can independently assess whether or not the dog is adequately trained, then this can be better addressed.

anitram said:
I think once you can independently assess whether or not the dog is adequately trained, then this can be better addressed.

Definitely true, but also as a general question-what about some of those comments I posted? I can't believe some people have those attitudes. They seem to have no idea what assistance animals can do and how important they are. Some of those comments are ignorant, and why should she have to be schooled at home or at a special school?

Maybe the dog's behavior is more related to being protective of the little girl, but I do understand the safety concerns.

MrsSpringsteen said:

Definitely true, but also as a general question-what about some of those comments I posted? I can't believe some people have those attitudes. They seem to have no idea what assistance animals can do and how important they are. Some of those comments are ignorant, and why should she have to be schooled at home or at a special school?

The first and third posts are reprehensible. A service dog is no different that employing a person that helps with special needs. The dog is far more effecitve and efficient because unlike a human aid, the sole purpose of the dog's existence is to care for her, and s/he can be present 24/7.

I don't understand the one about "entitlement". Has that person lived under a rock? I've seen service dogs pretty much everywhere I go at some point in time. In elementary school, we had a guy come every year with his dog to teach people about service dogs. Yes, the child is as "entitled" to the presence of her dog as she is the presence of her wheelchair and other aid devices.

I agree completely with the fourth post.

Oh, the comments are idiotic and probably a good representation of what those people are really like.

Would they rather be disabled so that they too can ask for a guide dog out of "entitlement"?

It just makes me wonder how many people think disabled people/parents of disabled kids have a sense of entitlement. Isn't it still rather taboo to say things like that? Of course the internet really doesn't have taboos like that.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It just makes me wonder how many people think disabled people/parents of disabled kids have a sense of entitlement.

Quite a few. I used to design commercial buildings, and of course we have to live up to all the minimum requirements stated by law for parking layouts, bathroom layouts, hallways, etc. And you wouldn't believe the comments I got from clients, contractors, and others involved in the building process. Most of them used the term "entitlement" somewhere in there comments.

If I could have one wish granted to me, it would be that all these "entitlement" folks, all these racists, all these homophobes, all these religiously intolerant assholes of this country got to live one week in the shoes of which they don't understand.

That's very surprising to me, that people would be so open in saying things like that. Then again, people are so open about other prejudices. I guess it somehow seems even worse to me (not that all prejudice isn't equally horrible) that it's a little girl and they still say that. I agree, if anyone feels a sense of entitlement it is people who have never had to live in the shoes of anyone who is "different" in any way and are so lacking in empathy.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It just makes me wonder how many people think disabled people/parents of disabled kids have a sense of entitlement. Isn't it still rather taboo to say things like that? Of course the internet really doesn't have taboos like that.

Yeah, you're right about the Internet, because my feeling is a lot of these people would self-censor in public and would never say that sort of thing out loud in polite company.

But there is also the entitlement view. You don't see it just with disabilities, but things like affirmative action. I remember going to visit a law school open house this past spring when I was trying to decide where to go and there were a bunch of seminars and talks organized that day. One of them was basically about the "holistic" approach to admissions (ie. look beyond the numbers to things like a history of racial discrimination, overcoming disabilities or extreme poverty, systemic disadvantages, etc). And while everyone was pretty open to the idea publicly, after it ended and I was walking out the lecture hall, several people in front of me were already making comments about who in this room was entitled to admission not because they were smart but because they were "lucky" to be from the ghetto.

So yes, these ideas do still have their followers.

What would happen if a student needed a guide dog at school, but other students were severely allergic to dogs?

Schools can apparently ban peanut butter, can they also ban guide dogs?

With all the talk of severe allergies in children these days, I'm sure this situation has come up one time or another.

corianderstem said:
What would happen if a student needed a guide dog at school, but other students were severely allergic to dogs?

Schools can apparently ban peanut butter, can they also ban guide dogs?

With all the talk of severe allergies in children these days, I'm sure this situation has come up one time or another.

I was wondering the same thing. The conclusion I came to in my mind is that a dog allergy doesn't mean instant death like a peanut allergy can, so it would be easier to handle the situation on an individual basis. If a kid has a dog allergy, s/he or the disabled kid can be moved to a different class to avoid the dog. However some kids with peanut allergies can't be anywhere near peanut oil. You can also get dogs that have little to no allergens (labradoodles for one), but that would depend on the availability of one as a service dog.

That's a good point. I hadn't considered the possibility that dog allergies would/might not be as severe or life-threatening as something like a peanut allergy.

I agree with the fourth poster. Apparently the kid needs the dog, but if it's not well trained that's a problem and this needs to be worked out. I hate it when people think disabled people are "entitlement" people.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I was wondering the same thing. The conclusion I came to in my mind is that a dog allergy doesn't mean instant death like a peanut allergy can, so it would be easier to handle the situation on an individual basis. If a kid has a dog allergy, s/he or the disabled kid can be moved to a different class to avoid the dog. However some kids with peanut allergies can't be anywhere near peanut oil. You can also get dogs that have little to no allergens (labradoodles for one), but that would depend on the availability of one as a service dog.

Very good point..The kid can also take allergie medicine..Think of it this way, what is more important...I disabled girl who needs a guide dog and a kid who has allergies.. Wouldn't it be a little harder to take away the guard dog then just to give the kid some medicine for their allergies? also just put the kid in another class so she doesnt have to put the kid in the same class as the kid with allergies..Has the dog ever lunged or try to bite someone? No.. So why can't they just muzzle the dog when they're at school..The dog doesnt have to go to obedient school because it barks...Muzzling the dog is just fast and easy as long as the dog never tried to hurt someone..

MrsSpringsteen said:
some comments on the paper's online message board

"Send the brat and her pooch someplace else. There's no reason why such a clearly aggressive and dangerous dog should be in the presence of schoolchildren. If I were a parent and if that dumb dog bit or lunged after my kids, I would have been furious and filed a lawsuit so fast it would make that girl's head spin. Let's be real: dogs don't belong in school. They pose immediate health and safety risks for young children. If the kid's bones break easily, then she should go to a special school or be educated at home."

"I am appalled at this display of pure meaness. Hasn't this girl suffered enough?? This animal makes the world a safer place for her, what are the chances he' s going to hurt someone else. This dog is trained to deal with sick children. These officials are just looking for an easy way out. Replacing the dog with a human aid takes security and safety away from a brave little girl who is only trying to fit in with the children around her."

"We live in a culture of entitlement. "I have a right to do this; I have a right to do that." You do not have a right to bring animals to school! Hello, common sense! This shouldn't even be up for discussion, here."

"It's a tough call. I think that having the guide dog present in school would help not only Hailey, but the other children to understand her condition better as well. I also can't imagine that a professionally trained guide dog would exhibit aggressive behavior. The school's defense lawyer was quoted as saying, ``The dog was poorly trained and aggressive," but I don't think she should be the final word. Why not bring in a qualified, outside party to determine whether or not the dog should be around children and teachers. "

The first comment pisses me off. People can be such assholes.

My brother has (I think it's called Cynophobia) a phobia of dogs. Even the calmest, laziest dogs prevent him from being able to go places. We've cancelled get-togethers because of him.

Her problem is that other KIDS won't work with her. If they assign a special aid, this girl can become close to that person.

tpsglick2424 said:

Very good point..The kid can also take allergie medicine..Think of it this way, what is more important...I disabled girl who needs a guide dog and a kid who has allergies.. Wouldn't it be a little harder to take away the guard dog then just to give the kid some medicine for their allergies? also just put the kid in another class so she doesnt have to put the kid in the same class as the kid with allergies..Has the dog ever lunged or try to bite someone? No.. So why can't they just muzzle the dog when they're at school..The dog doesnt have to go to obedient school because it barks...Muzzling the dog is just fast and easy as long as the dog never tried to hurt someone..

This is an extrememly simplistic "solution" to a quite complex problem. The dog has demonstrated aggressive behavior. Not all children can simply take "allergie" medicine.

The allergies thing is a completely different matter, but I'm not so sure you can essentially forcibly make somebody medicate themselves with drugs that will alter their immune response when removal of the animal would easily solve their problem. I'm not sure how many of you here would subject yourselves to constant and repeated doses of anti-histamines in that situation.

tpsglick2424 said:

So why can't they just muzzle the dog when they're at school..The dog doesnt have to go to obedient school because it barks...Muzzling the dog is just fast and easy as long as the dog never tried to hurt someone..

Because it's a service dog and you don't muzzle service dogs. They need to be able to pick up dropped objects, carry bags, answer phones, etc. An aggressive dog needs obedience training. Muzzling is not any kind of smart solution. It's OK if you're working with the dog to overcome aggression (like you start taking the dog on walks to meet other dogs and have him muzzled the first few times), but it's not a longterm solution and is not fair to the animal or the child the animal is supposed to be helping.

I'm a teacher and my wife is a school administrator. We are also both big dog lovers.

In this case, I would probably have to side with the school. I certainly wouldn't want to cause any harm or distress to the little girl and I would do all in my power to accomodate her and her dog, but at the end of the day, I understand the decison they made. It's not like they made the decision based on nothing. The dog behaved aggressively, and that was serious cause for concern. Liability. It's a fact of life in America, sad to say, and a lot of times you end up being overly cautious.

However, the comments that Mrs. S quoted are inexcusable and totally lacking in compassion. I was revolted by them.

Scituate school officials have barred Indy, saying that on the few occasions Indy has visited Jenkins Elementary School, the 2-year-old dog has growled and barked at students and teachers.
"

Manduca said school officials told her that neither Indy nor any other service dog would be allowed at the school.

That seems odd to me. I can see why one may not be allowed but why absolutley none? I don't feel the child 's best interests are nessacarily being looked after and there something else behind all this.

Back
Top Bottom