Toys R Us Disqualifies First Baby Of 07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. BAW said:
I've learned that my fourfathers and fourmothers are illegal...we're going back...:wave:

You had four mothers & four fathers???? :tongue:

Look, I'll reiterate - I am not zenophobic. If it weren't for "foreigners" coming to this country, I wouldn't be here. Hell, the US probably wouldn't be here. I'm not upset or angry about folks who want to move to the States - I absolutely agree this is the best place in the world to live. I'm upset by people who simply ignore the country's laws but want to enjoy all its benefits.

I'm not suggesting that the answer is to close our borders - variety is the spice of life & hopefully breeds knowledge & tolerance. I know I've never dealt with moving to a foreign country & learning their way of doing things. I also know not everything in life is black or white. I just think if you're going to move to the US or England or Finland or the Shire, you have to be the one willing to adjust - not expect the world to adjust around you.

Bono's American Wife said:
Almost all contests have residency and age restrictions. U2.com has contests that clearly state "open to UK residents only." If I actually entered one of those and won, I would fully expect to be disqualified. I don't think those rules have anything to with how the companies feel about illegal immigration, it has to do with taxes and stuff.

And yes, the baby is a US citizen, but babies can't legally enter a contest or sign a contract, which is why the residency requirement fell upon the mother.

Your common sense post seems to have gotten lost amongst all the outrage. . .

There are many contests, services etc that are limited to the U.S. (or to the nation of origin). For example I can't access innertube on CBS to watch their TV shows. I can't buy music on i-tunes. Amazon won't ship DVDs to me (though they will ship books). All because I live in Saipan instead of the U.S. mainland (and Saipan is even a U.S. territory and everyone born here is a U.S. citizen).

If people want to get angry about a policy like the one Toys'R Us had in place then they need to find out why such policies exist (I for one don't know why, but I know they are quite commonplace) and then protest that if they find the reasons to be unfair. But one thing seems fairly obvious if you look even just a little below the surface of things. This had nothing to do with an anti-immigrant policy.

BluRmGrl said:

I'm not suggesting that the answer is to close our borders - variety is the spice of life & hopefully breeds knowledge & tolerance. I know I've never dealt with moving to a foreign country & learning their way of doing things. I also know not everything in life is black or white. I just think if you're going to move to the US or England or Finland or the Shire, you have to be the one willing to adjust - not expect the world to adjust around you.

you're absolutely right with this and I don't think it's in any way xenophobic.

It would be the same if I or anyone from here would move to another country. Not the people of that country have to adjust to me, but I have to adjust to the rules and the culture of that country.

And I think if you are an illegal immigrant or not yet a legal you have to accept that there are certain rules and barriers.

But in this case it also sounds as if the mother of the child didn't make so much trouble to get accepted the prize, but it was those organizations that sometimes carry things to excess.

was the baby going to lose any sleep if it's mother wasn't able to claim the prize, or have we turned the issue into the mother's illegal status?

Back
Top Bottom