Toys R Us Disqualifies First Baby Of 07 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2007, 09:16 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:39 AM
I'm glad all of the babies got their scholarships, it's not the Chinese baby's fault that her mother isn't legal.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:39 AM
Way to go Toys R Us - the next time I don't win a contest I'm going to raise a huge stink until I get my prize.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 02:39 AM
I think Toys R Us did the right thing. The contest was designed to be positive publicity and it turned into negative publicity. This was, it has the best chance to be positive again.

I think the rule was black and white - but the interpretation of it is gray since the child is born American.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

They had to do that because of the publicity, and rules are rules but that doesn't make it right

Let's face it, it looks mean spirited to disqualify a baby Babies are all-American, right?

I remember when there were all sorts of contests for the millenium babies. I assume these contests also have rules against inducing.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
The contest rules state that the mothers have to be legal residents. I don't see that there's any issue to this at all.
I agree with you. The mother has no case in this instance.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne
I think Toys R Us did the right thing. The contest was designed to be positive publicity and it turned into negative publicity. This was, it has the best chance to be positive again.
Bingo.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Sorry, but, the rulz is the rulz. Speaking of rulz, is Mom eligible to satay here?
An interesting question, indeed.

Quote:
Satay

From Wikipedia,

Satay (also written saté) is a dish that may have originated in Sumatra or Java, Indonesia, but also popular in many other Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, Philippines, and Thailand.
Hard to say from the inofmation provided,
isn't she Chinese?
Old 01-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Just another example of why the US has serious issues now with illegal residents - there is no respect for our laws and requirements of citizenship. And why should there be when every time someone cries 'US/Toys-R-Us/Insert-whatever-entity-here is unfair to Hispanics/Asians/Hindus/Insert-whatever-nationality or creed-here!!' and we cave?

Trust me, I am not zenophobic and I don't begrudge anyone who wants to LEGALLY enter this country and become a productive citizen, but why should we go out of our way to appease folks who won't even respect the basic rules laid out for them?

I readily admit that the status of the Chinese parents in this case was never mentioned in the article that I read, i.e. they are in the process of applying for citizenship, etc. so I don't automatically intend my comments to them in particular. I'm just speaking in general about the big picture.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BluRmGrl
Just another example of why the US has serious issues now with illegal residents - there is no respect for our laws and requirements of citizenship. And why should there be when every time someone cries 'US/Toys-R-Us/Insert-whatever-entity-here is unfair to Hispanics/Asians/Hindus/Insert-whatever-nationality or creed-here!!' and we cave?

Trust me, I am not zenophobic and I don't begrudge anyone who wants to LEGALLY enter this country and become a productive citizen, but why should we go out of our way to appease folks who won't even respect the basic rules laid out for them?

I readily admit that the status of the Chinese parents in this case was never mentioned in the article that I read, i.e. they are in the process of applying for citizenship, etc. so I don't automatically intend my comments to them in particular. I'm just speaking in general about the big picture.
"We cave"? Toys-R-US is a corporation, so only their shareholders should care about the additional expense. As mentioned earlier, at this point the publicity had turned negative for Toys-R-Us, and $50k was the cheapest way to turn the negative into a positive.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 AM   #25
Refugee

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint

PR nightmare. Your disqualifications should be as prominent as your come-ons. I suspect Toys R Us didn't want to create the PR nightmare that would have ensued in a prominent ad and ended up creating a worse mess for itself.

They are legally covered though.

They created this nightmare themselves they have only themselves to blame if their sales go down.Why put that in the fine print anyway....does it honestly frickkin' matter...the child was the first to be born on american soil in 07!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/06/fir....ap/index.html

All over now, everyone got their money.
Good!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by ntalwar

"We cave"? Toys-R-US is a corporation, so only their shareholders should care about the additional expense. As mentioned earlier, at this point the publicity had turned negative for Toys-R-Us, and $50k was the cheapest way to turn the negative into a positive.

Yes, 'we'... as in America as a whole.

Here's the comparison I was attempting to make between corporate America & the government in general: Someone with no legal right to a benefit or prize steps forward to claim it. They're told, 'no - you don't meet the requirements'. What to do? Get yourself a lawyer, put on your best 'victim face' and scream to any media outlet that'll listen how you've been discriminated against & demand restitution. TRU & the government have shown that rather stand their ground, they'll bend rather than lose a few dollars (or votes, if you're a politician).

So the question remains: what's the point of making rules when all it takes to get them changed, bent, or outright ignored is a few cries of "Opression! Opression!" and fear of some bad press??? And how should anyone that easy to manipulate expect to be taken seriously?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:39 PM
I've learned that my fourfathers and fourmothers are illegal...we're going back...

This is not part of my farewell tour...!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #29
She's the One

Re: Toys R Us Disqualifies First Baby Of 07

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
NY Times

January 6, 2007
First-Baby Sweepstakes Fuels Immigration Debate
By NINA BERNSTEIN

The parents could not be reached for comment
Did the parents get lawyers and scream, or did others on their behalf?
Old 01-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #30
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. BAW
I've learned that my fourfathers and fourmothers are illegal...we're going back...
My greatgrandpa was illegal!