Town buys church

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Butterscotch

War Child
Right now I don't want to post the town or name names but I am seriously considering calling the ACLU. A town where people I know live has bought a church for $7. That's right, the First Baptist church of the town had expanded as far as they could go, including 2 sanctuaries, and they had to keep up with the rival cross town so they decided they needed a new church on a new piece of land north of town! They convinced the city council to buy the old building for seven million! Then they took the money and bought the land and built a brand new fancy church. The council claims they only bought the building to keep unwanted buyers out of the town, but since they now admit they have no use for the building but aren't going to sell it, it seems it will sit empty and what has basically occured is that First Baptist church has a brand new building paid for by the city council. Is this against the separation of church and state? The taxpayers are upset, but feel bad speaking up since it's a 'church' but it's still wrong. What is your opinon on this situation?

Butterscotch said:
Is this against the separation of church and state?

The Establishment Clause in the Constitution applies only to laws made my the US Congress (meaning, the Federal Government).

As for the rest of the story - it certainly sounds strange.

Butterscotch said:
Is this against the separation of church and state?

It could be, if only for the fact that they blew $7 million for a church. Or it could be an extraordinary case of corruption.

You might as well contact the ACLU and see what they say.

Okay. I'll run it by them anonymously at first if possible.

At the very least it's a disgraceful waste of money the small city could have done so much more with, and a betrayal of the taxpayers. Also imagine how the members of the other churches must feel.

Back
Top Bottom