Tough to be Catholic these days. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2002, 06:36 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 PM
Normal Tough to be Catholic these days.

Everytime you turn around, it seems there is another molestation case and a Preist is being arrested in our area.

Even worse for years Bishops have covered for the pedophiles Priests in our area.
Sickening.
Now theyre arresting the Bishops that covered for the Priests.

Theyre all going to jail.

My heart goes out to first-
the victims.

They come to what they feel is God's Church then are tainted and damaged for life.
The victims try and report the crimes of sexual impurities put on them by someone they look to as "Godly" and are told to keep quiet by the Bishops, who are supposed to be even more "Godly".

Then they go and try and report to legal authorities and The Bishops dissuade them telling them they have to forgive the Priests.

The Priests are quietly transfered and start in a new area, molesting new children.
Nationally and globally it has hit the fan.
The Vatican has been inconsistent on what to do..
1st its-a one strike law..re molesting clergy
then its a zero tolerence law..wtf?

Why should it be anything more than a zero- tolerence policy? Jesus Christ.

2ndly-
I feel bad for the hundreds of millions of good Catholics who are scratching their heads wondering if this is really God's church.

Man it would be tough to be Catholic right now.

Diamond

Old 12-06-2002, 06:47 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:35 PM
has a Catholic (tho i consider myself Christian) im appalled at the acts that the church has taken.

What really piss me off tho is when my grandmother says that are doing whats best for both the victims and priests by transfering them and i strongly disagree with her on that!!!

Even worse im beginning to question my religion! i dont question God bc i will always believe in God no matter what happens!

Old 12-06-2002, 06:55 PM   #3
Refugee

To me Church is just a place to go to if you want to make yourself think you are closer to God. I am a Catholic and pray every night, try to do my 'Catholic duties'. Really it never surprised me that this was going on. You have men who are not allowed to have sex and you stick them with young defenseless choldren. Well put them together! I will never be ashamed to be Catholic nor should a Muslim ever be ashamed to be Musilm just for the acts of a few.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:03 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Bonoman-
Its the way theyre handling the situation.
The Bishops are almost becoming enablers for the Priests,
, by not reporting them to the legal authorities.

The Bishops are thinking of the Church's well being instead of the members.

Something tells me Muslims would amputate a penis if a member was harmed.

Diamond
Old 12-06-2002, 07:11 PM   #5
Refugee

You are probably right Diamond. I could car less what the Church does i know i am very spritual, not very religiuos.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:23 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I could car less what the Church does i know i am very spritual, not very religiuos.
I agree with you Bonoman!

im not ashamed of being Catholic,i just question being catholic sometimes and i just dont like the way that the church is going about solving this way.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:46 PM   #7
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamswildhoney
[as] a Catholic (tho i consider myself Christian)
This always bugs me...this distinction some people make between Catholic and Christian isn't necessary. Catholics are Christians. Catholicism is a Christian religion. Just as all varieties of Baptists, Methodists, etc... are still Christian.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:11 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

This always bugs me...this distinction some people make between Catholic and Christian isn't necessary. Catholics are Christians. Catholicism is a Christian religion. Just as all varieties of Baptists, Methodists, etc... are still Christian.
I just said that because im simply a believer in God. I dont like using labels for religion because almost everyone believes in a higher power and worships their own way. I dont like it when people say that their religion is better than another.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:15 AM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:35 PM
An interesting sidenote...take it for whatever value you give it...

Marian apparitions in Medjugorje, in the 1990s, have foretold the destruction of the Catholic Church, whereupon it will be rebuilt--much like how Jesus said He would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days in the New Testament. Mary's words were that the clergy were merely human, and, of course, they are going to be fallible and open to sin like anyone else; and, as always, one is to put their faith into the teachings, rather than the people.

Melon
Old 12-07-2002, 01:17 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
This always bugs me...this distinction some people make between Catholic and Christian isn't necessary.
I tend to call myself "Catholic" so I don't get confused with those heretical Protestants.

Melon
Old 12-07-2002, 03:01 AM   #11
Refugee

Sorry but i am CATHOLIC, not prod or methodist or baptist. You might not fully relize this but there is big differences.

I ahve nothing againist other religion or faiths but i am what i am and will tell you that i am that.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:15 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You're right Diamond - these are very, very difficult times in which to be a Catholic. This year has been awful. Every time I turned around I read about yet another priest abusing kids and yet another diocese covering it up. About six months ago I found out that a priest who served at the parish I attended when I was a teenager was accused of molesting a boy at a parish he served at before he came to ours. He admitted guilt and left the priesthood. I can't remember if actual criminal charges were filed. I don't think they were. It was a horrible shock. I had always remembered this priest fondly. His manner was very kind and gentle. It makes me sick to even think about it.

Although I have never for a moment doubted my faith in God, there have been a couple of times this year when I have had fleeting thoughts about leaving the Church. Part of me wonders if it is necessary to participate in organized religion to be a Christian, but I guess the other part of me is stronger because I'm still attending Mass. I guess I'm holding onto the hope that there will be reforms in the Church, just as there have been in the past.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:54 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

as a human, I am apalled at what these other humans chose to do...

religion is fiction
Old 12-11-2002, 06:24 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
as a human, I am apalled at what these other humans chose to do...

religion is fiction
A friend of mine is writing a book on the problem of evil. Part of his research included a review of all the atrocities that have taken place around the globe just in the last 300-400 years. Horrific stuff.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:06 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
A friend of mine is writing a book on the problem of evil. Part of his research included a review of all the atrocities that have taken place around the globe just in the last 300-400 years. Horrific stuff.
A part of the problem of documenting "evil" is that it is culturally subjective. As the saying goes, someone's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.

<-- post 2000 (again)

Melon