Torture/Waterboarding: Discussion/Debate Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unico said:

The Geneva Convention doesn't apply to terrorists.

As every human being is unique so is each terrorist, some are more depraved then others.

Interrogation techniques should vary from situation to situation.

When you unilaterally take one of the many tools to extract information in a certain circumstance, you're not that good of a poker player.

Questioning a potentail terrorist or admitted terrorist is like playing a cryptic game of poker.

Never divulge your hand.
Some of you are living in a Sept 10th time warped mentality.

You guys are stupidier than Neville Chamberlin:

hitler22.jpg

Neville_Chamberlain2.jpg

Some seem to have mis placed liberal guilt coupled with complete niavity and are in way over your heads.

dbs

diamond said:
You don't, only if you know for sure-then you deal with it.

What's "for sure?"

Even if you gave them a trial, it's only beyond a reasonable doubt. Not for sure.

There's NO way of knowing for sure.

diamond said:

The Geneva Convention doesn't apply to terrorists.

you know what? i can almost accept this. "terrorists" -- since we're being way, way vague here -- don't wear uniforms like German soldiers did, so i can understand how this might be a different situation.

however, this does not mean that "terrorists" -- again, so vague, who are we talking about here? -- are our playthings with which we may do whatever we choose when we capture them. they are human beings and thusly do not exist in some netherworld beyond the rule of law. the rule of law does apply to them, because the rule of law applies to us as their captors.

if you want to draw up new rules, fine, but you better go ahead and do so.

and even conceding these points, you have gotten no further in convincing me that "enhanced interrogation techniques" do ANYTHING at all to make us safer.

you think i'm a bleeding heart?

i think you're a racist sadist who's out to get silly kicks from inflicting pain on brown people who talk funny.

see? i can call people names -- instead of constructing arguments -- just as well as you can, my sexydiamond.

Irvine511 said:

you know what? i can almost accept this. "terrorists" -- since we're being way, way vague here -- don't wear uniforms like German soldiers did, so i can understand how this might be a different situation.

however, this does not mean that "terrorists" -- again, so vague, who are we talking about here? --
arguments -- just as well as you can, my sexydiamond.

look, nobody is advocating blanket water-boarding or torture.

also, it wouldn't be too far of reach to conclude that:

you're a sloppy poker player.

read you-

dbs

diamond said:

Coming from the guy who just said:

Yep, I'm sure if we post a memo that we won't ask tough questions

you don't even pay attention or understand the issue, no one said anything about not being able to question...

yet we're the dumb ones?

Diamond your record speaks for itself on this one.

diamond said:

look, nobody is advocating blanket water-boarding or torture.

but, you see, it's legalization means that it will become more and more and more common, as it will seek to justify it's existence.

[q]you're a sloppy poker player.[/q]

i'm good at strip poker.

diamond said:

Never divulge your hand.
Some of you are living in a Sept 10th time warped mentality.

You guys are stupidier than Neville Chamberlin

Diamond, you have pissed me off before, but I have never before been more offended by you than I am now. Get off of me and stop with the insults. You think I don't know what it's like to be in a community that is being attacked???? You think I don't know that feeling? PISS OFF. You don't know shit about my intelligence or my suffering. You're insensitive and delusional, and I'm surprised you get away with all this crap in here.

On the bus ride home from work tonight, I saw a red billboard that said, in giant white letters:

"REMEMBER SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 WHEN YOU VOTE."

You bet I will. I'll remember what's happened to our country since Septmeber 11, 2001.

corianderstem said:
On the bus ride home from work tonight, I saw a red billboard that said, in giant white letters:

"REMEMBER SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 WHEN YOU VOTE."

You bet I will. I'll remember what's happened to our country since Septmeber 11, 2001.

Exactly. The biggest horror that the Bush administration has created is their subconcious teaching that we should allow that day to define us. That's what their entire foreign and security policies have been based on. It's gotten us to the lowest point we've ever been as a nation. That is what the terrorists wanted. It's ironic: By doing everything in our power to destroy them, we've given them power over us and the liberties our country was founded upon.

This thread is getting pretty far out of hand, and doesn't look likely to make any further headway at this point anyhow.

I'm not sure if we've got some sort of cabin fever epidemic going around here lately or what, but I guess this is as good a place as any to point out some trends we can't let continue.
martha said:
What a load of shit.
Abomb-baby said:
Do you honestly believe this crap?
phillyfan26 said:
You two are both incredibly obtuse.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
:| Do you go out of your way to play dumb?
All the above were rude, unnecessary and didn't add anything to what were otherwise some constructive contributions to the thread. I know you four (and doubtless a couple others, but I'm not gonna reread the whole thread trawling for examples) can take as good as you give and aren't likely to get that upset if someone heatedly tells you "That's the dumbest crock of shit I've ever heard!" or whatever in an argument--but quite a few folks in here would and do, and when you start slipping into saying unnecessary things like this, it winds up sending a message to everyone that these kinds of jabs are fair game and this sort of overall tenor of debate is acceptable, which it isn't. Please stick to constructive responses (or just ignore, if you know it's not worth it) and keep these kinds of remarks in check.

diamond said:

hitler22.jpg

Some seem to have mis placed liberal guilt coupled with complete niavity and are in way over your heads.
And you in particular have really been treading on thin ice recently--it seems like just about all you want to do lately is provoke people for the sake of provoking them, then tweak and ridicule them when they oblige. If you're looking to get suspended from here then keep it up, otherwise, cut it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom