Torture - Does anyone support it?? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 AM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:15 AM
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #62
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:15 AM
So the question I have now is: was the government questioned and held to account prior to the photos being released? If so, the function of the press was performed. Americans released these photos to the world knowing full well the damage it would do to the their country. Did the good outweigh the bad? While I appreciate the duty of the free press to be watchdog, I can't help but think there are those who were salivating to get these photos released.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:15 PM
First off, the torture photos made me absolutely disgusted. I don't think anyone with any class found them appealing in any way. I will get back on this later, I just wanted to make a quick point.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:23 PM   #64
War Child

Local Time: 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe.
Excellent answer.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #65
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by drhark
So the question I have now is: was the government questioned and held to account prior to the photos being released? If so, the function of the press was performed. Americans released these photos to the world knowing full well the damage it would do to the their country. Did the good outweigh the bad? While I appreciate the duty of the free press to be watchdog, I can't help but think there are those who were salivating to get these photos released.
The function of the press was performed.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #66
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Do Miss America

The function of the press was performed.
before the photos were released, thus negating the neccesity of their release?

the photos were used as leverage to get the problem solved.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Quote:

Americans released these photos to the world knowing full well the damage it would do to the their country.

Did the good outweigh the bad?

While I appreciate the duty of the free press to be watchdog,

I can't help but think there are those who were salivating to get these photos released.

the release of these pictures did more harm to the U S than not finding WMDs

the guy who first released them had a choice, get them to the administration

or damage the administration

well, i hope it was worth it
Old 01-18-2005, 03:02 PM   #68
War Child

Quote:

The first isn't even a complete sentence. I'm confused.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 PM   #69
Acrobat

I was adding on to your sentence. Here, I'll do it again, removing the period:

The function of the press was performed

Old 01-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #70
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I was adding on to your sentence. Here, I'll do it again, removing the period:

The function of the press was performed

How?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #71
Acrobat

The chronology here: pictures taken, army investigates, months later, pictures released. What I'm not sure of is the status of the investigation when the pictures were released. If the military justice process was underway, and I'm not assuming it was by the way, the watchdog role of the press was fulfillied and the release of the photos was unneccesary.

<<<Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe. >>>>
Old 01-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The chronology here: pictures taken, army investigates, months later, pictures released. What I'm not sure of is the status of the investigation when the pictures were released. If the military justice process was underway, and I'm not assuming it was by the way, the watchdog role of the press was fulfillied and the release of the photos was unneccesary.

<<<Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe. >>>>
I recently read an article on the man who turned in the photos and that's not how I remember the order, I'll have to try and find the article.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:31 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I recently read an article on the man who turned in the photos and that's not how I remember the order, I'll have to try and find the article.

r u on to something?