Torture - Does anyone support it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe.

So the question I have now is: was the government questioned and held to account prior to the photos being released? If so, the function of the press was performed. Americans released these photos to the world knowing full well the damage it would do to the their country. Did the good outweigh the bad? While I appreciate the duty of the free press to be watchdog, I can't help but think there are those who were salivating to get these photos released.

First off, the torture photos made me absolutely disgusted. I don't think anyone with any class found them appealing in any way. I will get back on this later, I just wanted to make a quick point.

A_Wanderer said:
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe.

Excellent answer.

drhark said:
So the question I have now is: was the government questioned and held to account prior to the photos being released? If so, the function of the press was performed. Americans released these photos to the world knowing full well the damage it would do to the their country. Did the good outweigh the bad? While I appreciate the duty of the free press to be watchdog, I can't help but think there are those who were salivating to get these photos released.

The function of the press was performed.

Do Miss America said:

The function of the press was performed.

before the photos were released, thus negating the neccesity of their release?

the photos were used as leverage to get the problem solved.

drhark said:

Americans released these photos to the world knowing full well the damage it would do to the their country.

Did the good outweigh the bad?

While I appreciate the duty of the free press to be watchdog,

I can't help but think there are those who were salivating to get these photos released.

the release of these pictures did more harm to the U S than not finding WMDs

the guy who first released them had a choice, get them to the administration

or damage the administration

well, i hope it was worth it

I was adding on to your sentence. Here, I'll do it again, removing the period:

The function of the press was performed

drhark said:
I was adding on to your sentence. Here, I'll do it again, removing the period:

The function of the press was performed

How?

The chronology here: pictures taken, army investigates, months later, pictures released. What I'm not sure of is the status of the investigation when the pictures were released. If the military justice process was underway, and I'm not assuming it was by the way, the watchdog role of the press was fulfillied and the release of the photos was unneccesary.

<<<Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe. >>>>

drhark said:
The chronology here: pictures taken, army investigates, months later, pictures released. What I'm not sure of is the status of the investigation when the pictures were released. If the military justice process was underway, and I'm not assuming it was by the way, the watchdog role of the press was fulfillied and the release of the photos was unneccesary.

<<<Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No, the pictures were taken by the guards in the prison. They were then handed over to the DOD as evidence by Sergeant Joseph Darby who found the pictures, in his own words he thought (of the the abuses) "It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war." Then the Army investigated the running of the prison in the Taguba report and some 17 soldiers and officers were removed from duty. By April the pics got to the press, the DOD was able to stall the networks from running them for a fortnight due to the operations during that month. It was not a partisan plot, it was the media showing the people abuses commited in Iraq by troops - an important function of a free media is to do this and as long as the government is being questioned, held to account, slandered then you can rest assured that your liberties remain safe. >>>>

I recently read an article on the man who turned in the photos and that's not how I remember the order, I'll have to try and find the article.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I recently read an article on the man who turned in the photos and that's not how I remember the order, I'll have to try and find the article.

r u on to something?

Back
Top Bottom