Too Pro-Life for Pro-Choicers, Too Pro-Choice for Pro-Lifers (FYM Challenge Spinoff) - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2003, 09:58 AM   #31
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 01:34 AM

There have been some very well reasoned arguments on both sides of the issue, so I guess I'll just stick to my opinion to make it short..

I consider myself pro-choice: you get to choose whether or not to keep the baby after it's been born.

Abortion is, plain and simple, the termination of a human life. That makes it murder in my eyes.

By far the majority of women do NOT get abortions because they were raped - the 'what about rape' argument has become the ace up the sleeve for the pro choicers, but it does not represent the reason why 99% of women get abortions.

And what everyone else said who mentioned that an abortion certainly wont ease the pain...in fact 50 years from now we'll probably be reading of studies of the devastating psychological effects killing a helpless baby can have on a woman.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 02-02-2003, 10:08 AM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:34 PM
i agree w TheGman.

Old 02-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #33
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox
...in fact 50 years from now we'll probably be reading of studies of the devastating psychological effects killing a helpless baby can have on a woman.
It hasn't taken 50 years - there is ample documentation on Post-Abortion Stress Disorder, which is similar in many ways to post-traumatic stress disorder. This is a violent act that some women can rationalize away at the time of the abortion, maybe even for 5, 10, 20 years. But like any emotional or physical trauma, we can only repress the effects for so long - they will come out at some point if we haven't dealt with it. Yes, in the short term some women may say they feel relief, but that secret is still there festering away.

I do not want to condemn the women that have already been through this - there is healing and forgiveness if they are willing to talk about it - but so many of them never were told that this 'choice' would haunt them for the rest of their life. Planned Parenthood is not pro-choice - unless you consider that they'll give you your choice of 1pm or 3pm for your abortion time. They do not inform women of the psychological and physical complications that very likely will occur. Angela is right - an abortion only ends a pregnancy, no other problems does it solve, and it pretty much means you'll be trading that problem in for a whole new set of problems.
Old 02-02-2003, 02:18 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:34 AM
I have an interesting question for everyone here. The law says that an unborn Fetus/Baby within the first 3 months does not have the same rights as a Fetus/Baby the first day of birth, making abortion legal in those first three months. But what if the Fetus/baby in those first 3 months were to die as the result of the actions by another person, could the mother then take legal action against that person on the same grounds that she would with a baby that was one month out of the womb?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:28 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:34 AM
I'm with daisybean and Kristie on their stances on abortion.

While I myself will probably never have an abortion, I do feel the option should be there for a woman.

I feel life begins when the actual birth occurs-until then, it's developing into a human, but is not fully one yet. So I don't see it as murder.

I also think people need to at least imagine themselves in the shoes of a woman deciding whether or not to get an abortion. They need to ask themselves, "If I were in her shoes, what would I do?" Like Everlast said in his song, "God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes/Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose". I feel that's very true.

Abortion needs to be a private issue-not something our government needs to control. It's none of their business. It's nobody else's business unless the woman allows others to be involved in the decision making.

Abortion should remain legal, and should be there as an option for women.

Angela
Old 02-02-2003, 05:32 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
I feel life begins when the actual birth occurs-until then, it's developing into a human, but is not fully one yet. So I don't see it as murder.
For discussion purposes only:

Why then? Humans continue to develop for many years after birth and are wholly dependent on a parent. Why shouldn't be the government's business if you want to kill your 3 year old for whatever personal, private reason?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:41 PM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

I used to be pro-choice. Then we got pregnant. Then I saw the ultrasound. Then the "baby" and I would play games through momma's belly at night.

My heart and mind were forever changed. There is intelligent life in there.

Peace
Old 02-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #38
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Re: Euthenasia -

When our pets are suffering, we put them down without a moment's hesitation because it's "the right thing to do".

I think people deserve the same mercy that we give our pets. If I were old with Alzheimers and a burden to my family, or a vegetable or something I would want them to dispatch me IMMEDIATELY. Who wants to live when there is no quality of life, and you are ruining the lives of your family? It makes NO SENSE!!!! We aren't really helping the person, we are assuaging our own guilt.

Re: Abortion -

The whole idea that very few women have abortions because of rape and therefore it's an ace up the sleeve of the pro-choicers....

Well that just punishes the legitimate victims even more, just because there are others who abuse the system. There ARE some women who really need this "ace in the sleeve". If I had been raped or the victim of incest, there is NO WAY I could bear carrying that child. And can you imagine how the child would feel?

I think abortions should be taken on a case by case basis. OBVIOUSLY we all agree that mere carelessness is no reason to have an abortion, but in these extreme cases it makes sense. When the fetus is only a small composition of cells, I don't think it really knows the difference.

If only they could find some way of gently vacuuming the fetus out of the woman and growing it in a lab until it's old enough to be adopted.....that would prevent abortions entirely!
Old 02-02-2003, 07:15 PM   #39
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
If only they could find some way of gently vacuuming the fetus out of the woman and growing it in a lab until it's old enough to be adopted.....that would prevent abortions entirely!
Verrrrrry interesting. I truly never thought about that. Science can't be that far from something like that. Then everyone wins: the fetus gets a chance at life and the mother doesn't have to go through with the pregnancy.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:41 PM   #40
us3
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
I used to be pro-choice. Then we got pregnant. Then I saw the ultrasound. Then the "baby" and I would play games through momma's belly at night.

My heart and mind were forever changed. There is intelligent life in there.

Peace

wonder what the "intelligent life" thought of the man on the outside peeking through the belly button yelling "peek-a-boo"?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:24 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Humans continue to develop for many years after birth and are wholly dependent on a parent.
Humans are dependent on a parent until a certain age-once they get out on their own they can function on their own.

And yes, after birth, humans continue to develop-but they're actual humans then. Before birth, they are still developing into humans.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Why shouldn't be the government's business if you want to kill your 3 year old for whatever personal, private reason?
Again, because the 3 year old is an actual human.

There's a big difference between a 3 year old and a three month old fetus.

Angela
Old 02-02-2003, 09:26 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Edge
Re: Euthenasia -

When our pets are suffering, we put them down without a moment's hesitation because it's "the right thing to do".

I think people deserve the same mercy that we give our pets. If I were old with Alzheimers and a burden to my family, or a vegetable or something I would want them to dispatch me IMMEDIATELY. Who wants to live when there is no quality of life, and you are ruining the lives of your family? It makes NO SENSE!!!! We aren't really helping the person, we are assuaging our own guilt.

Re: Abortion -

The whole idea that very few women have abortions because of rape and therefore it's an ace up the sleeve of the pro-choicers....

Well that just punishes the legitimate victims even more, just because there are others who abuse the system. There ARE some women who really need this "ace in the sleeve". If I had been raped or the victim of incest, there is NO WAY I could bear carrying that child. And can you imagine how the child would feel?

I think abortions should be taken on a case by case basis. OBVIOUSLY we all agree that mere carelessness is no reason to have an abortion, but in these extreme cases it makes sense. When the fetus is only a small composition of cells, I don't think it really knows the difference.

Agree with all you said-and interesting idea at the end there.

How much you wanna bet that scientists will find a way to do that at some point and time in the near future?

Angela
Old 02-02-2003, 09:27 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

So a three month old fetus is something less than a puppy? On par with a goldfish? We have laws against killing puppies, but goldfish get flushed down the toilet all the time. When does this thing achieve human status?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:29 PM   #44
Refugee

Local Time: 11:34 PM
I'm sorry i dont have time to read the whole thread but i was just wondering, after reading the first comment here.

Do the American gov't supply birht control for free?
Old 02-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I'm sorry i dont have time to read the whole thread but i was just wondering, after reading the first comment here.

Do the American gov't supply birht control for free?
Yes, but only in certain areas. The US government does not supply open, unlimited free birth control.