Tom Petty is one of my new heroes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Klaus,

1. Ticketmaster already has a ticket limit on each order. Problem is a single person or multiple persons hired by a scalper/broker can place multiple orders that are all within the ticket limit. They can go to different ticketmaster locations and make all transactions with cash if necessary.

2. Ticketmaster might let brokers get some tickets ahead of the initial sale, but I believe most brokers get their tickets the day of the sale and attempt to buy as many as possible before fans get them or a sellout happens.

3. You can make it illegal to resell it at a higher price, but this is not something that can be enforced.

4. Most ticket transactions take place before the day of the concert. If brokers or scalpers are selling the day of the concert, it usually means they have failed in their efforts to resale the ticket and will be selling it at below list price to get rid of it. In the case of a U2 sellout, it still may be above list price, but it will not be nearly as high as someone buying it two weeks prior to the day of show.

5. Releasing tickets before the show does help the stragglers trying to get into a soldout show, but really does not put a dent in serious Brokers or scalpers and most likely hurts the fan who is simply trying to resell a ticket for what he bought it for. Knowing that are on sell again at the boxoffice, a person looking for a ticket will as the fan who's girlfriend did not go with him to resell the ticket at below list price since they could easily get a list price ticket from the boxoffice.

But now let me state that I really do not see a problem with scalpers and brokers. I certainly do not engage in those activities, but in my opinion it should be perfectly legal to resell something that you purchased with your money for more money. The other person does not have to buy it.

The best way for artist to combat ticket scalpers and brokers is to actually price their tickets based on supply and demand. Charging lower than what the market demand actually is just insures a flock of scalpers and brokers reselling the tickets at their correct market value and making the money that should be going to the artist.

Tom teamed up with Bono, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Carl Perkins on Carl's "Gimme Back My Job." It's a cool tune if you ever happen upon it.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom