Tom DeLay's New Cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
:rolleyes: :lol:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2006/09/dancing_with_to.html

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/06/delay-dancing/

"When Tom DeLay announced his resignation from Congress in June 2006, he said he wanted to “pursue new opportunities to engage in the important cultural and political battles of our day from an arena outside of the U.S. House of Representatives.”

This morning, DeLay officially took up the important cultural/political battle of ABC’s reality show “Dancing with the Stars.” DeLay sent a mass e-mail to his supporters urging them to “help a good friend of mine, country music singer and GOP supporter Sara Evans,” who will be competing in this season’s show.

Evans also sang at the 2004 Presidential Dinner, where Bush said, “I love the voice of Sara Evans.” She appears on a conservative website as “Babe of the Week” in a picture of her with Bush.

When your efforts to control Congress are over, there’s always reality TV dancing"

the e-mail

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/delayletterbig.gif

"One of her opponents on the show is ultra liberal talk show host Jerry Springer. We need to send a message to Hollywood and the media that smut has no place on television by supporting good people like Sara Evans."

You know, this may be funny, but it started me thinking about this underlying concept:

If there is a non-political competition between a liberally minded person and a conservatively minded person (such as a dance contest), do you usually root for the person whose political affiliation is most similar to yours?

I have to admit that I do that. For instance, if Bruce Willis were up against someone like Sean Penn in any competition, I would automatically be inclined to root for Bruce. There are cases in which my political bias would be overriden, and that would be in cases of character issues. For instance, if a liberal who was an honest woman of integrity were competing against a conservative jerk with little integrity, I would root for the woman of integrity. But in cases of all things being equal, I will always root for the conservative.

If it's non-political then I would root for whoever I think is best at the competition, but what kind of person I think they are would also be the most influential factor (and that has nothing to do w/ political affilation, liberal/conservative, etc). Honestly it rarely if at all occurs to me what someone's affiliation is, for example here I judge people by how they conduct themselves (which is all I have to go by re what kind of people they are, after all who would want to make themselves look bad as opposed to better/good) and how and what they post, regardless of affiliation. I do my best to do that.

Bruce Willis vs Sean Penn-well imo Sean is by far a better actor, Bruce has charisma and I think something about him is sexy :wink: I would go see a Sean Penn movie first and I would prefer to have a convo w/ Sean Penn. The stories about Sean Penn's behavior sort of scare me, so for a date I'd have to go with Bruce. So all in all, slight advantage to Penn :wink:

80sU2isBest said:
You know, this may be funny, but it started me thinking about this underlying concept:

If there is a non-political competition between a liberally minded person and a conservatively minded person (such as a dance contest), do you usually root for the person whose political affiliation is most similar to yours?

I have to admit that I do that. For instance, if Bruce Willis were up against someone like Sean Penn in any competition, I would automatically be inclined to root for Bruce. There are cases in which my political bias would be overriden, and that would be in cases of character issues. For instance, if a liberal who was an honest woman of integrity were competing against a conservative jerk with little integrity, I would root for the woman of integrity. But in cases of all things being equal, I will always root for the conservative.
I agree - although I don't watch the show very often.

But then again I would root for Howard Dean if he were against Clinton. I admire that he doesn't hide his true self behind whimpering pseudo-compassion.

I'm sure if there was a celebrity I actually admired who just so happened to be on the left, perhaps Bono is an example, then I would be pretty fair-minded. Unless of course if he was dancing against Rush Limbaugh. I know, what a horrible piece of television history that would be.

Back
Top Bottom