Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2002, 09:49 PM   #1
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 06:03 PM
Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

I heard this tonight on The Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show, I wanted to share it with you.

It is a comment made by famous author Tom Clancy ( The Hunt For Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and many more ) and I found it interesting.

Quote:


Michael Reagan: "What do you worry about America?"

Tom Clancy: "I don't worry about America as long as the average guy driving a truck is smarter than a Harvard professor"

I found that to be an interesting statement, what about you? Do you have a professor that is inept or ineffective to the point that he/she is a hindrance to your studies?
__________________

__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 08-12-2002, 09:55 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,816
Local Time: 08:03 PM
I'm lucky that I have encountered so many great instructors while at college. My biggest complaint is that some know so much about their topic that they tend to forget many of us go into those classes not even knowing the basics, and they go over things that they find to be simple too fast for us to fully grasp it.
__________________

__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
Old 08-13-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 06:03 PM
Bonochick, I am glad that in your personal experience your instructors are very knowledgeable and competent. That is the way it ought to be.


However, I am sad that you are the only one in FYM that seems to have attended/currently attending college and can offer opinions on this.

Thank you.
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 09:00 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,816
Local Time: 08:03 PM

OMC, it seems everytime I reply to a FYM thread, it dies.

*should maybe just stick to LS*
__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 01:47 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Michael Reagan: "What do you worry about America?"

Tom Clancy: "I don't worry as long as long as the average guy driving a truck is smarter than a Harvard professor"
Hey now, I resemble that remark.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 03:38 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 12:03 AM
Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge
Do you have a professor that is inept or ineffective to the point that he/she is a hindrance to your studies?
::lurks back into FYM:: (::is impressed by new range of emoticons:

I'm a university student so I thought I'd try answering this. I don't know if this is the case in all US universities, but here in the UK our universities tend to be very research-oriented. That means the professors/lecturers who teach students don't only teach, a huge part of their job is their research. I think that means that occassionally lecturers aren't very skilled at passing on information to their students, maybe because their style of lecturing is difficult to follow or because they select material which is too difficult or too simple for their students. Students might find it hard to learn from those lecturers but that's definitely not because those lecturers are unintelligent or poorly educated, it's not a lack of knowledge so much as a difficulty in passing that knowledge on to students.

In short, I've never been taught by a lecturer who I thought wasn't extremely intelligent (hey, they have a PhD and I'm reading for a BA, I'm hardly in a position to criticise ) but I've sometimes had lecturers who weren't the greatest teachers in the world.

*Fizz
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 05:03 PM   #7
I serve MacPhisto
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: the HORROR
Posts: 4,022
Local Time: 06:03 PM
Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


Hey now, I resemble that remark.
lol, meaning that you drive a truck?
__________________
z edge is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Re: Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge


lol, meaning that you drive a truck?
Heck no, I can't even drive stick. But part of my education in the Ph.D. program in mathematics at Harvard University includes lecturing for intro-level courses (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, etc).

Personally, I don't think it takes a whole lot of talent to be a good teacher in college/university (though it definitely takes talent and desire to be a *great* teacher). If you can remember what difficulties you had learning such-and-such a subject, anticipate questions that might come up in class, and spend enough time preparing for lectures, you can be a good teacher.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 10:36 PM   #9
Banned
 
LOVE MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Posts: 986
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


::lurks back into FYM:: (::is impressed by new range of emoticons:

I'm a university student so I thought I'd try answering this. I don't know if this is the case in all US universities, but here in the UK our universities tend to be very research-oriented. That means the professors/lecturers who teach students don't only teach, a huge part of their job is their research. I think that means that occassionally lecturers aren't very skilled at passing on information to their students, maybe because their style of lecturing is difficult to follow or because they select material which is too difficult or too simple for their students. Students might find it hard to learn from those lecturers but that's definitely not because those lecturers are unintelligent or poorly educated, it's not a lack of knowledge so much as a difficulty in passing that knowledge on to students.

In short, I've never been taught by a lecturer who I thought wasn't extremely intelligent (hey, they have a PhD and I'm reading for a BA, I'm hardly in a position to criticise ) but I've sometimes had lecturers who weren't the greatest teachers in the world.

*Fizz
Very well Fizzing, that is a nice prospective. I like your answer as it reminded me of Dr. Jones- that is Indiana Jones. He was not really a "teacher" but he really did the research.

I know its only movies, though.

Good luck in your pursuit for excellence!
__________________
LOVE MUSCLE is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 10:42 PM   #10
Banned
 
LOVE MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Posts: 986
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


Heck no, I can't even drive stick. But part of my education in the Ph.D. program in mathematics at Harvard University includes lecturing for intro-level courses (calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, etc).

Personally, I don't think it takes a whole lot of talent to be a good teacher in college/university (though it definitely takes talent and desire to be a *great* teacher). If you can remember what difficulties you had learning such-and-such a subject, anticipate questions that might come up in class, and spend enough time preparing for lectures, you can be a good teacher.

Lol for some reason I thought he meant pickup truck. I don't know that he didn't. It would be nice to have an elaboration on his statement, I can only guess.

Why he picked on Harvard?
__________________
LOVE MUSCLE is offline  
Old 08-15-2002, 10:56 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by LOVE MUSCLE



Lol for some reason I thought he meant pickup truck. I don't know that he didn't. It would be nice to have an elaboration on his statement, I can only guess.

Why he picked on Harvard?
I thought that he meant an 18-wheeler (which are all manual transmission) and that he was comparing teamsters with Harvard profs. I could be wrong though; there's a first time for everything.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 08-16-2002, 08:47 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Bama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gulf Coast State of Mine
Posts: 3,405
Local Time: 06:03 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
teamsters
They are allegedly forming an alliance with Satan himself, President Bush.
__________________
U2Bama is offline  
Old 08-16-2002, 09:27 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 07:03 PM
wink

I might have a full-time job at Harvard in the near future. Wish me luck!

__________________
melon is offline  
Old 08-16-2002, 09:57 PM   #14
Banned
 
LOVE MUSCLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: my lovenest / in bed with Larry, Bono, Larry, :heart: Adam, Larry, Edge, *swoon* kisses and THUD !!!
Posts: 986
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I might have a full-time job at Harvard in the near future. Wish me luck!

Good Luck!
__________________
LOVE MUSCLE is offline  
Old 08-17-2002, 06:33 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,573
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tom Clancy on the Michael Reagan Radio Talk Show

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

teamsters
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama


They are allegedly forming an alliance with Satan himself, President Bush.
Yeah, I heard something about a Satanic ritual being performed at Giants Stadium in the near future...
__________________

__________________
speedracer is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com