Tolerance in the Magic Kingdom - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2005, 05:31 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan


I didnt mean putting those who spread religions into prison or hanging them.

Just ensuring means to stop of spread of false stories...preaching..harassing others for spreading..putting loud speakers to spread propoganda..distributing free books....publicity at public places.. I want to end this...Not the Saudi style prohibition

The offender should be fined monetarily ...

repeated offenders can be put into JAIL for 2 months...
This is nutty. Sounds to me like reverse bigotry, and is in no way accepting of any belief other than your own. There are places in the world where people are executed for their beliefs, which is a sickening shame. How does that punishment begin to fit the crime? I seriously hope you learn to appreciate freedom of speech and expression a LOT more than this, and realize that it applies to everybody, not just yourself. In a free society, it is essential to allow both secular and spiritual ideas to surface. Is it really that hard on you?
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #32
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Sounds to me like reverse bigotry
Wouldn't that mean you are tolerant?
__________________

__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 08:39 PM
When it comes to tolerance of religion I think that defending the rights of people to worship how they want provided that it does not hurt anybody is tolerant.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:39 AM
I chose the term "reverse" - as reverse racist could mean the likes of Malcolm X (before he cooled down) and Michael Moore.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader


Longing for the good ol' days of communism?
i am not a fan of communism
__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
This is nutty. Sounds to me like reverse bigotry, and is in no way accepting of any belief other than your own.
I said ALL beliefs... no favors for my belief...or your belief

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
There are places in the world where people are executed for their beliefs, which is a sickening shame.
I agree with you... this is really really bad...and unacceptable

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
seriously hope you learn to appreciate freedom of speech and expression a LOT more than this, and realize that it applies to everybody, not just yourself. In a free society, it is essential to allow both secular and spiritual ideas to surface. Is it really that hard on you?
I am FOR freedom of speech and expression...and freedom to practise one's religion



Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
it is essential to allow both secular and spiritual ideas to surface. Is it really that hard on you?
spiritual...u mean spreading religion is spiritual...this is NUTTY
__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
Old 05-02-2005, 11:28 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
Posts: 3,854
Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
When it comes to tolerance of religion I think that defending the rights of people to worship how they want provided that it does not hurt anybody is tolerant.
100% agree.
__________________
AcrobatMan is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 07:36 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
spiritual...u mean spreading religion is spiritual...this is NUTTY
So let me get this straight. Peaceful missionaries who clothe and feed villages, and offer a positive, uplifting message of hope are nutty and deserve to serve months behind bars?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:39 AM
Is dictionary.com nutty also?

2 entries found for spiritual.
spir·i·tu·al ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spr-ch-l)
adj.
Of, relating to, consisting of, or having the nature of spirit; not tangible or material. See Synonyms at immaterial.
Of, concerned with, or affecting the soul.
Of, from, or relating to God; deific.
Of or belonging to a church or religion; sacred.
Relating to or having the nature of spirits or a spirit; supernatural.

n.

A religious folk song of African-American origin.
A work composed in imitation of such a song.
Religious, spiritual, or ecclesiastical matters. Often used in the plural.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 07:44 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
I said ALL beliefs... no favors for my belief...or your belief
What if my belief involved sharing my faith with others who may be interested?

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
I am FOR freedom of speech and expression...and freedom to practise one's religion
To what extent?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:00 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
So let me get this straight. Peaceful missionaries who clothe and feed villages,and offer a positive, uplifting message of hope are nutty and deserve to serve months behind bars?
That's really why they're there. The first part is equivalent to bribery.

Seeing what kind of small-mindedness and hateful stereotypes that Christianity spreads around, I don't know who to hate more: Saudi Arabia's brand of "Islam" or the missionaries' brand of "Christianity." It's all nutty and very overzealous.

Melon
__________________
melon is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:03 AM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
I chose the term "reverse" - as reverse racist could mean the likes of Malcolm X (before he cooled down) and Michael Moore.
Still no such thing. You are either racists or you're not, reversing racism eliminates racism.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #43
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Seeing what kind of small-mindedness and hateful stereotypes that Christianity spreads around, I don't know who to hate more: Saudi Arabia's brand of "Islam" or the missionaries' brand of "Christianity." It's all nutty and very overzealous.

Melon
Is this based on your experiences as a missionary, or is it a counter-stereotype for purposes of discussion?
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #44
Refugee
 
stammer476's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,058
Local Time: 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon


That's really why they're there. The first part is equivalent to bribery.

Seeing what kind of small-mindedness and hateful stereotypes that Christianity spreads around, I don't know who to hate more: Saudi Arabia's brand of "Islam" or the missionaries' brand of "Christianity." It's all nutty and very overzealous.

Melon
Careful, melon.
__________________
stammer476 is offline  
Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 AM   #45
Acrobat
 
Ft. Worth Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 390
Local Time: 05:39 AM
So my brother who has been on many mission trips and does all these things, not just one , is just as dangerous as those who want "sharia" law? Wow.

Or in the same vein, Wahabi Islam is just as dangerous as Mormons in white shirts on bikes. (Please, no debate over Mormonism here, I am just making a point.) How many suicidal Mormon bikers have you seen?
__________________

__________________
Ft. Worth Frog is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com