Togo Wants Bush to Overthrow Their Leader...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

Through out the 1990s, the democrats succeeded in making deep cuts in defense spending which meant there was not money for many types of weapon systems or improvements, training, as well as other important equipment.

US forces in Iraq have had the proper equipment! There have only been shortages in certain area's. Trucks and Humvees have never been armored up until now,

Any equipment shortages are the fault of a government and in particular liberal movements

First you blame the 80's now the 90's, first there are shortages now there aren't your arguments are confusing at best.

What it comes down to is if you are the one starting the war then you make sure you have the proper equipment, and quit trying to place the blame on someone else.

Do Miss America said:

First you blame the 80's now the 90's, first there are shortages now there aren't your arguments are confusing at best.

What it comes down to is if you are the one starting the war then you make sure you have the proper equipment, and quit trying to place the blame on someone else.

I've explained in depth my viewpoints, but you don't seem to understand them.

A large block of the democratic party has consistently tried to cut or hold down defense spending through the 1980s, 1990s and through to today.

Properly providing for the military is a process that takes YEARS! When a threat to the nations security takes place, you don't have the option of simply waiting until you have everything you want, because the previous administration failed to provide the level of spending necessary. Its not something that can automatically be fixed in just one 4 year term and attempts to fix the problem face constant resistence from Democrats who see the defense budget as something to raid to find money for their domestic programs.

STING2 said:

Democrats who see the defense budget as something to raid to find money for their domestic programs.

it must be difficult fighting the enemy on two fronts.

you got middle easterners that want occupiers out of their lands overthere

and Democrats and Americans that want better education programs and better health care over here

all_i_want said:
how much money does US spend on its military? how much of its GDP?

The US defense budget for this year will be 419 Billion dollars, which is only 3.5% of GDP. This is one of the lowest levels of defense spending as a percentage of GDP, over the past 60 years.

Last edited:
deep said:

it must be difficult fighting the enemy on two fronts.

you got middle easterners that want occupiers out of their lands overthere

and Democrats and Americans that want better education programs and better health care over here

Most Americans voted for George Bush and do not want the Democrats version of education and health care.

The United States military is currently helping the countries of Afghanistan and Iraq develop into prosperous and stable democracies which is an incredible change from the war, terrorism, and dictatorship that these countries have had to live under for the past few decades and in fact several thousand years in the case of Afghanistan. Most people in Iraq and Afghanistan want US forces to remain there in order to help complete the process of development.

STING2 said:

The US defense budget for this year will be 419 Billion dollars, which is only 3.5% of GDP. This is one of the lowest levels of defense spending as a percentage of GDP, over the past 60 years.

does that figure include the extra 80 billion?

melon said:
...but since the country has no oil, does that mean Bush will leave this dictator in power?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/02/11/togo.unrest.ap/index.html

Of course, who am I trying to fool? We all know that the United States wants nothing to do with military action in Africa. But if Iraq was all about "installing freedom" and not oil, why does he only seem to pay attention to oil-rich dictatorships?

Melon

that's it

melon said:

No need to be histrionic. I just wish the Bush Administration be honest: Iraq is a strategically placed nation, where a U.S. friendly government would be to American interests. Iraq has oil, yes, but it also provoked Israel on a regular basis.

Additionally, the main gripe of Al Qaeda is of the military presence in the Arabian Peninsula. Deputy Secretary of Defense, Paul Wolfowitz, quite frankly stated that they wanted to "liberate" Iraq, so they could establish permanent military bases in Iraq and ease pressure off of Saudi Arabia, which they know inflames terrorism (he also said that WMDs were just an excuse that "everyone could agree upon." I guess honesty isn't a moral value.). It's also in line with PNAC's pre-9/11 agenda, which Wolfowitz and much of the Bush Administration are a part of.

So why won't Bush "liberate" Togo? Because there's nothing in it for American interests. I say that if you're going to reduce everything as to whether or not America gains economic and strategic benefits, then be honest and say so. Cut the crap about "spreading freedom" and tell the truth. Or are we ashamed to admit the truth?

Melon

I completely agree with this. But, although I don't like Bush, this isn't a new policy or attitude that we've never seen before in presidents. They've always lied to accomplish their agendas, and when the US goes to war, there better be something in it for us. And to some extent, that's not a bad thing. It's just politics, and they've been doing it forever. Clinton didn't see much point staying in Somalia (or going into Rwanda at all for that matter.)

I'm not saying it's right, but it doesn't surprise me.

I also agree somewhat with what nbcrusader said...

This is a recent situation, and if we were all gonna pretend all US military intervention all came from the "goodness of our hearts," certainly Saddam would've ranked higher on the list? He did massacre thousands, whereas this guy's only staged a sort of coup so far. I also agree that, like I said before, of course we're interested in what's in it for us when we go to war.

And so is every other country! France didn't sit it out because they're so against the slaughter of innocents in a Blood for Oil war or whatever. They had oil dealings w/ Saddam. They also need to get re-elected (like Bush), and most of their voters were against going in. So what do you think they're gonna do? I dislike Chirac as much as I dislike Bush (which is to say, a good amount :wink: ), but I don't really blame him for not going in. It wasn't in his country's interest (or his, since he wants to stay in office!)

STING2 said:
Most Americans voted for George Bush and do not want the Democrats version of education and health care.

On the contrary, most Americans voted for Bush and disagreed with his domestic policy. They trust Democrats more when it comes to the core domestic issues. They trust Republicans when they want to be scared shitless about invisible dark enemies and want to be rescued. That's why they voted Republican.

Most Americans are morons.

Melon

melon said:

On the contrary, most Americans voted for Bush and disagreed with his domestic policy. They trust Democrats more when it comes to the core domestic issues. They trust Republicans when they want to be scared shitless about invisible dark enemies and want to be rescued. That's why they voted Republican.

Most Americans are morons.

Melon

I suppose thinking that way might make you feel better about the election which Bush won with the first majority in 16 years, but its not true and just feel good dream of many democrats who can't accept the fact that the American people chose Bush over Kerry despite all the Bullshit the democrats used to throw at Bush in the year before the election.

Most Americans are intelligent and once again its always the defeated candidate and their supporters that make the accusation that they were defeated because the voters were "stupid" or "morons".

I'm not a moron, nor are any of the other Bush supporters on here morons. We voted for the candidate we thought was best based on are own research and political views.

STING2 said:
I suppose thinking that way might make you feel better about the election which Bush won with the first majority in 16 years, but its not true and just feel good dream of many democrats who can't accept the fact that the American people chose Bush over Kerry despite all the Bullshit the democrats used to throw at Bush in the year before the election.

The polls during the election and the polls now after the election all say the same story: Bush won on the war and on "morality." Period. His domestic policies do not have support. His Social Security plan is opposed by 51% of Republicans and a larger majority of Democrats and Independents.

When polled during the 2004 Election in Tennessee, 30% of Tennessee voters believed that Bush would roll back the tax cuts for people who made $200,000 or more and they supported such a move. Too bad those morons had the wrong candidate, and it's pretty clear that there's a sizeable stupid vote that the GOP depends on for victory.

I suppose thinking otherwise makes you feel better too. Go right ahead.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom