To Protest or not to Protest?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

To go or not to go??!?

• Go! Exercise your democratic right!!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • Don't Go! Play it safe!!

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
verte76 said:
Generally a protest has a particular theme, i.e, a reason why the demonstrators are there in the first place. In this case it's Bush's foreign policy and especially Iraq. When I went to the February 15 demo last year it was specifically against the invasion.

Perhaps they need more than a "theme". I doubt the message in the head of the average reasonable protestor is communicated and understood by the average reasonable citizen.

Well, if events in Ottawa are anything to go by, there aren't going to be a lot of protesters in Halifax!! There were more journalists than protesters....

OTTAWA (AFP) - Hopes for early mass protests in the streets of Ottawa on the eve of Tuesday's visit by US President George W. Bush (news - web sites) fizzled out, as journalists outnumbered demonstrators.

A loose coalition of groups opposed to just about everything Bush supports had promised two demonstrations hours before Bush was due to jet into Ottawa Tuesday aboard Air Force One.
The first demonstration -- of Palestinians and sympathisers of the Palestinian cause opposed to Washington's support of Israel -- attracted less than 40 demonstrators.
According to a quick head count by journalists, the protest attracted 39 demonstrators, 42 journalists and television crew members and three police officers.
A second, ostensibly larger, demonstration scheduled for the midst of the evening rush hour -- was called by a group calling itself Students Against Bush.
Nobody turned up. Further protests however were expected on Tuesday.
Efforts to contact protest organizers were unsuccessful, with the phone numbers listed by organizers remaining unanswer

i was at PCO for a meeting (across from parliament hill) and the protesters were quite sparse.

there is a 'bushitler' sign on the hil lawn though.

kobayashi said:
i was at PCO for a meeting (across from parliament hill) and the protesters were quite sparse.

there is a 'bushitler' sign on the hil lawn though.

Yes, all is quiet...except for the fact that there were policemen on every corner, including my doorstep! (I live downtown)

I work in Gatineau and getting home will be a pain with Bush being at the Museum of Civilization across the street....

ladywithspinninghead said:

Yes, all is quiet...except for the fact that there were policemen on every corner, including my doorstep! (I live downtown)

I work in Gatineau and getting home will be a pain with Bush being at the Museum of Civilization across the street....

id stay home if i were you. it'll be insane.

Nothing like a good video game while everyone else is trying to change the president's mind.

too late!

I'm already at work (er, but not working!) ....We thought our counterparts at FAC got the day off (Bush is appearing at Pearson bldg for lunch) but they were advised at 4:45pm to come in after all....:lol:

this is just the ottawa leg of the bush canadian tour. halifax is tomorrow, and i think we'll see more protesters there (including DaveC!).

well that report is indicative of earlier in the day, the tide has now turned. thousands of people just streamed past my office headed for the hill.

of course, there is a winter storm coming from, of all places, texas that may dampen the candle lit vigil planned for this evening.

the snow, plus any brave protesters, plus bush heading for the airport in morning rush hour promise to make tommorow morning a real hoot.

Priceless, absolutely priceless.
Dave C, I suggest you do protest since apparently you have nothing better to do with your mind, similar to the majority of the leftist Canadians who know nothing about politics, and waste their time thinking a few scores of idealistic, ignorant Liberal mobs are going to change the world.
I welcomed President Bush in Ottawa today, my boss understood and was generous enough to let me have the morning to stand up to the hundreds of fools who actually think George W. Bush is the main threat to the world, and not Iran, Palestine, North Korea, or several Arab states that want nothing more than Islamic Militant rule over our sinner ways. I was heckled, shoved, threatened by the animals who were there, but I kept smiling, held my placard reading 'Welcome Mr. President!'.
However, and fairly, I cannot fault completely Dave C and the rest of the arrogant, snob-like Canadians, or the worldwide epidemic of terrorist-supporting 'peace' extremists - these are people learning their politics through self-proclaimed 'documentaries' from blatant liars and exploitists like Michael Moore, the leader of stupidity within the Liberal cult.
I followed Politics well before most Canadians thought it was 'cool' to hate the U.S. and their Presidents, fed to the sheep through mainstream media, and I have a certain amount of common sense - the very basic ingredient that Dave C and others of simple-mindedness lack.
Anyway, have fun with your little terror-group - maybe throw some rocks at police, you hero, Dave C - as most Canadians will revel in the image of protesters demonstrating in the shadows of irrelevance - but the little snippy, insignificant voices of whiny, envious notions that Canadians have in general will remain just that - thankfully!

Have a beautiful Day everyone!

- Nicholas

zoou2@hotmail.com

P.S. Cheers to four more years, Mr. President.

Nicholas,

while you may disagree with DaveC, any of the other 'leftist Canadians' myself included, and anyone for that matter, there is no need for the presumptive, tactless and condescending manner with which you portrayed your message.

if there are many people around the world who paint with as broad a brush as you seem to, and i sincerely hope there aren't, you have given Canada a bad name.

Uh, I second that, and not just 'cause DaveC is my sweetie.

Obviously you're new here, disco, but, unlike many political discussion boards, we do not brook those kinds of personal insults. Keep it up and we'll be happy to give you a permanent FYM vacation.

nbcrusader said:
While it may not have been the most tactful statement, it is interesting to see a conservative voice from the north.

certainly. i wish more were here. on the odd day, i wish more existed-but not a lot more.

if you are really curious, and want to see a lot less tact (based on what i have witnessed) check out freedominion.ca, the online home of the disgruntled conservative canadian.

edit: i should clarify, im sure they dont intend to appear disgruntled. they just do.

Last edited:
Insulting is more like it coming from this liberal. Even I don't think conservatives "know nothing." Look at nbcrusader! Very smart man indeed :up: And that's just one example of millions of conservatives AND liberals who understand politics, they just have different views.

Everyone that feels the need to protest should go out and let hear his/her voice.

People who tell you, , you should not protest or you are stupid coming forward for your opinion is a danger for democracy

Last edited:
i think nbc was surprised by the existence of such a person. sort of like finding a european nascar fan or a family of 6 living on the dark side of the moon.

that is the extent to which it was 'interesting'.

I knew there had to be conservatives in Canada just as there are liberals in the U.S. I'm sure most of the Canadian conservatives are both more tactful and intelligent, and they help keep their country truly democratic just as the U.S. democracy would be in trouble the day there were no liberal voters.

Back
Top Bottom