To Kill an American or a Canadian ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

no sense of nationalism or "essence" that you get in most of Europe, as in, there's an "essential" Frenchman, or an "essential" German.

I see exactly what you mean, but the irony is if you asked me to name a Frenchman the first person I'd say would be Thierry Henry! :wink:

The American identity has always baffled me and intrigued me in equal measure. The way everyone knows their heritage and never seems to be just American. They always seem to be Irish-American or Italian-American or Indian-American and so on. Yet this doesn't seem to dilute their American identity in any way whatsoever. I'd say worldwide that's a pretty unique situation. I mean everywhere there's an immigrant population the same thing will exist to some extent, but somehow it never seems to be as successful or accepted as it is in the States.

As for what baffles me, I just find it very strange when people say things like "I'm Irish" "But you sound American" "No but I'm Irish because my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather came here from Cork". People just don't seem to cling on to their identities like that in Europe or (so I've been told) Australia.

And although it seems odd to me, I think it must show American identity to be very strong and sure of itself which I aren't sure could be said of European identities.

Back
Top Bottom