To HELL with Seatbelt Laws!!!!! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2001, 07:07 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:21 AM
seatbelts save lives.

that's why they made a law enforcing it.
when they make a law you'll bitch and complain but for the most part you will comply.

this is quite likely to help you at some point in your life, perhaps it will save your life. if it's not you then it will be someone you know or love.

if you choose to break the law then you will have to pay a relatively small monetary fee.

it's really not that of a deal. i only ever see american's ever get worked up about these 'invasion of their rights'

------------------
against smileys

Old 12-14-2001, 07:14 PM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 02:21 AM
that's what makes this country great, you are allows to have a choice regarding your OWN life.
seatbelts save lives huh? ok thanks for the info, i'll take that into account when i break the law by not wearing a seatbelt, but abid with the law when i smoke my cigarette in a designated smoking area of a resturaunt.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 12-14-2001).]

Old 12-14-2001, 07:20 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
that's what makes this country great, you are allows to have a choice regarding your OWN life.
seatbelts save lives huh? ok thanks for the info, i'll take that into account when i break the law by not wearing a seatbelt, but abid with the law when i smoke my cigarette in a designated smoking area of a resturaunt.

yeah you're right, that is definitely a discrepancy.
but wait 'till you lose a friend because they were 'cool' and didn't wear their seatbelt, by their own choice of course. unfortunately there will be no cop to stop them and they will die.

the more they enforce it
the more will comply
the less lives lost
if you wanna look at it as another revenue stream for the government so be it, but the statement above is the actual result on society(in addition to a handful of people having $30 less dollars).

in case you were wondering i live in ottawa, ontario. one of several cities in ontario where you CANNOT smoke in public, save for a very few designated spots. even bars. i love it.

------------------
against smileys

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 12-14-2001).]
Old 12-14-2001, 07:29 PM   #19
War Child

hey i'm arguing reason, and your arguing feelings.
my cousin is paralysed neck down from a car accident because he didn't wear a seatbelt. who am i to blame him, that because he did not wear a seatbelt, he could have survived this fully intact? am i god? do i know what's better for his OWN self? all i can do is offer my support for him, and that is ALL he needs.
you know last time i checked, seatbelts reduce the amounts of death considerably, but they do not completely eliminate the chances, and in a few incidents, seatbelts have been known to interfer with the rescuing process.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:36 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
hey i'm arguing reason, and your arguing feelings.
my cousin is paralysed neck down from a car accident because he didn't wear a seatbelt. who am i to blame him, that because he did not wear a seatbelt, he could have survived this fully intact? am i god? do i know what's better for his OWN self? all i can do is offer my support for him, and that is ALL he needs.
you know last time i checked, seatbelts reduce the amounts of death considerably, but they do not completely eliminate the chances, and in a few incidents, seatbelts have been known to interfer with the rescuing process.
i am sorry for your cousin and am glad you realize. unfortunately such a law is neccessary within society, though it may not be applicable in your mind.

------------------
against smileys
Old 12-14-2001, 07:40 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 10:21 AM
What are the seatbelt laws in the US? I guess it's different state by state. As long as I've been alive it's been law that you have to wear a belt here. But you get so used to it that without thinking it's on by the end of the driveway, and no-one ever gets fined for not, unless you are doing something stupid to attract the attention.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:44 PM   #22
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
i am sorry for your cousin and am glad you realize. unfortunately such a law is neccessary within society, though it may not be applicable in your mind.

i do relise that it's a good thing, just the way they inforce it what i don't appreciate. they should keep the law, show the risks on tv just like they do with cigs, but not charge the people when they break it.
a simple reminder is better and it even makes people less hostile towards it. force doesn't always work.
it's only neccessary in a society that is too dumb to relise the consequences. we are not children. by all means strap your child in and make that a seperate law and fine people for not doing it.

Old 12-14-2001, 10:17 PM   #23
Acrobat

Fine.
You want to risk death, why should I, the gov't, or anyone else have any say??
I agree with you there.
But please dont wreck and fly out of your windshield, and onto the highway where I could be passing by and run your already dead carcass over!
That would ruin MY day, not to mention make a mess on my car.

AND, would my insurance rates be affected??? With all these "freedom fighters" headbuttin' windshields left and right!??

I dont want to pay more because you died. That would bum me out.

Yeah, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. I guess for the same reasons I would never drive with my eyes blindfolded and my hands tied behind my back... Its safer.

Simple.

This reply HAS been all "tongue in cheek", but.. I am serious about the insurance deal.

[This message has been edited by Trash Can (edited 12-14-2001).]
Old 12-14-2001, 10:34 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

final response to this thread which was so lacking in common sense.

always wear you seat belt

------------------
against smileys
Old 12-14-2001, 11:18 PM   #25
I'm a chauvinist leprechaun

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I've always wondered about this law. Seems to me that if you make the choice not to wear a seatbelt and then you get in an accident and hurt yourself, it was your life anyways and your choice. How does this fall under the jurisdiction of the government? I don't quite get it.

This is the same logic I gave the cop when I got a ticket at three AM for going 73 in a 55 zone... with not a car in sight...

Hrrumph...
Old 12-14-2001, 11:21 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:21 AM
A seatbelt law is to protect the aidworkers from mental damage when the have to scrape your worthless ass off of the pavement. A seatbelt saved my life once and Ive seen people who didnt wear one end up in a puddle near the side of the road with their brains at the OTHER side of the road (I shit you not).

I guess this law is an attempt by the government to protect people who are too dumb to protect themselves.

But hey! If you want to be free, be free....

Old 12-14-2001, 11:58 PM   #27
Acrobat

Speak it, Dr. Teeth! Speak it!
...You go boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 12-15-2001, 12:15 AM   #28
War Child

*lights one up*
amen to that! if it's the law, it must be right.
Old 12-15-2001, 12:49 AM   #29
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
I will be paying them 3500 pennies!!!!!!
You are my hero.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:28 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:21 AM
z edge:

Have you tried that new Grilled Chicken Quesadilla at Taco Bell?

Most of you know how conservative and pseudo-libertarian I am, but let me propose this: If you are in a wreck and you are NOT wearing your seatbelt, insurance does NOT pay for your injuries. How does that sound?

~U2Alabama