To drink or not to drink...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no advices except

1) dont drink before driving a vehicle.
2) dont drink too much to spoil your health.
3) dont get addicted to it.
4) dont drink if you are NOT an adult
5) dont drink if your physician has adviced against it

All health related reasons.

Last edited:
"Drink and make merry with buxom wenches" would be the usual line of argument for such a thing. In more seriousness I have no problem with drinking, I do have a problem with drinking cheap spirits but other than that nothing much. Alcohol is a great thing for loosening up but have to much of it and you will turn into a blathering and vomiting imbecile.

I'm a big fan of alcohol. AcroSteve has a good list of reasons when it becomes a problem. The only thing I am absolutely fastidiously hell bent extreme on is drink driving. Anyone who ever has, is a fucking moron. A careless fool.

I dont really have a stance on other peoples drug taking (and alcohol is a drug). Live and Let Live.

I personally dont drink because of health reasons, and it induces narcolepsy in me which doesnt make me popular at parties.

I agree with AcrobatMan. All very valid reasons not to drink. I would also add

6) Dont drink if it brings out the rage.

I think drinking has its time and place, if done in moderation and in the right circumstances, such as when you know you're not going to be operating machinery or doing anything risky. And of course drinking and driving sucks.

I think if you want to drink and are of the legal age to do it then by all means ...bottoms up.

Edited to add why.... because people have the free will to do what they wish. Right or wrong.

Last edited:
I have a problem with excessive drinking. Especially these days since one of my friends who is 17 lost her virginity while she was drunk. And that was after she had said "Oh no, I don't get THAT drunk."

Angela Harlem said:
I'm a big fan of alcohol. AcroSteve has a good list of reasons when it becomes a problem. The only thing I am absolutely fastidiously hell bent extreme on is drink driving. Anyone who ever has, is a fucking moron. A careless fool.

I wish that drink/drivers could be punishes like with atemted ( sp) murder.

I have a problem with excessive drinking. Especially these days since one of my friends who is 17 lost her virginity while she was drunk. And that was after she had said "Oh no, I don't get THAT drunk."
Whatever man takes advantage of a drunk girl is dishonourable and deserving of scorn and if I knew the girl personally a nondescript conferantation - being in control is always important.

Last edited:
A_Wanderer said:
Whatever man takes advantage of a drunk girl is dishonourable and deserving of scorn and if I knew the girl personally a nondescript conferantation - being in control is always important.

She started dating the guy just so she could get drunk and make out with him. Now she's taken it WAY too far after we (her friends) had been telling her that what she was doing was stupid. She's got problems.

Thats never a good situation, hopefully she doesn't go too far down that road. Having friends who will look out for her when they can or when she will let them is good though.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I know people of all walks of life religious or not who have very harsh stances on drinking. What is your opinion? And why?

Best reason to drink ? Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet......yum.

I don't drink b/c 1) I'm only 20 and it's not worth getting caught 2) it's expensive; if I'm thirsty I'll have water or pop 3) there's too many people that will think you're *cool* for drinking or *trying to be cool* for drinking so I find it easier just to not do it. I don't care if other people drink as long as they're not disrespecting myself, someone else, or their own self. For me, I just have no reason TO drink, but when I'm older I'll have red wine each day since it's good for you.

Re: Re: To drink or not to drink...

cardosino said:

Best reason to drink ? Silver Oak Napa Valley Cabernet......yum.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I go with my wife and her parents to the opening every year in Napa. I can't afford the bottles myself (over $100) but my father-in-law takes us so that he can buy an extra case as there is a limit on how much you can buy. When you get there you pay like $10 for a glass (which you keep) and then they keep filling it up with this extremely expensive, extremely great wine while you wait in line.

I drink because I actually enjoy the taste and it can be relaxing in moderation. Quality not quanity. Drinking just to get drunk (while it can be fun on rare occassions) is a horrible habit to get into. I know, I did it enough in college. And definitely don't drink and drive.

I don't drink (too young) and don't really have a desire to anyway. But I don't care if others do, so long as they don't let it get out of hand.

And I totally agree-drinking and driving=:no:. If you've had a lot to drink, get a sober friend to take you home, walk, call a cab, anything other than drive yourself home.

Angela

Re: Re: Re: To drink or not to drink...

bsp77 said:

Yes! Yes! Yes! I go with my wife and her parents to the opening every year in Napa. I can't afford the bottles myself (over $100) but my father-in-law takes us so that he can buy an extra case as there is a limit on how much you can buy. When you get there you pay like $10 for a glass (which you keep) and then they keep filling it up with this extremely expensive, extremely great wine while you wait in line.

I drink because I actually enjoy the taste and it can be relaxing in moderation. Quality not quanity. Drinking just to get drunk (while it can be fun on rare occassions) is a horrible habit to get into. I know, I did it enough in college. And definitely don't drink and drive.

Being on the customer side for many years and now I'm on the supplier side, I either have been the recipient of many a bottle over dinner, or as now, the buyer of the bottle.

I'll never forget a dinner a few years ago where my supplier ordered a couple of magnums of the stuff for a large group of us.

I saw it once at the grocery store for like $55 so I grabbed a few bottles, but have never seen it there since.

I enjoy drinking alcohol.
not every day; but on ocassion.
some of you should check it out.
:macdevil:

I find it difficult being around drunk people, but in general I have no problem with drinking. It's the getting drunk part that turns me off. I think it's the most dangerous drug out there because it is THE gateway drug. Everyone I've ever known who has/had issues with other drugs like coke and meth say it always starts with a drink. The alcohol triggers the cross-addiction. They don't sit around craving a line of coke; they crave the alcohol and then the coke.

joyfulgirl said:
I find it difficult being around drunk people, but in general I have no problem with drinking. It's the getting drunk part that turns me off. I think it's the most dangerous drug out there because it is THE gateway drug. Everyone I've ever known who has/had issues with other drugs like coke and meth say it always starts with a drink. The alcohol triggers the cross-addiction. They don't sit around craving a line of coke; they crave the alcohol and then the coke.

Every time I drink, I crave a line of coke.

Seriously, all the drug users I knew in college, usually did NOT drink much alcohol. Even most of the pot heads did not drink.

Back
Top Bottom