To drink or not to drink... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2004, 06:45 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM
Alcoholism runs in my family. Whether or not I have it who knows.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Theres some statistics that people who have one alcoholic parent have a 50% chance of having an addictive personality.

If you have two alcoholic parents then the chances are even higher.

Old 12-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #48
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Theres some statistics that people who have one alcoholic parent have a 50% chance of having an addictive personality.

If you have two alcoholic parents then the chances are even higher.
Very true.

Both of my parents, 2 of my grandparents, my sister and several aunts and uncles have had serious addictions in one form or another (alcohol/illegal drugs/prescription drugs).

I have to give serious thought to every substance I put in my body because I know, with great certainty, that I can become addicted in the blink of an eye. I overcame some problems in my early 20's but alcohol could definately become a problem for me if I let it. I know without a doubt its genetic for me.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:53 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM
It's only on my dad's side. So once again, who knows.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:28 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Ok, this is probably not the most popular thing to say, but I have never understood alcoholism. I understand problem drinking but not alcoholism. I used to drink too much in college for about two years. Never did anything too stupid but would get pretty drunk every weekend. Not really sure why, just nothing better to do. After I met my future wife, I slowly stopped as I had something better in my life. Based on my actions it would have seemed I was an alcoholic but I just stopped drinking that way and would just drink sometimes. Maybe I just don't have true alcoholism in me, but after I have a drink, I almost always want another one, but just stop myself most of the time. To me, it seems to be willpower. I am sure that there really is alcoholism but does anybody understand how it truly works? As I said, it almost seems like low willpower to me. Not trying to piss people off, just want more info.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:32 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Its an obsession. Same with drug addicts

Same with people who have to wash their hands 300 times before they leave the house.

Its not a willpower thing. To overcome it, yes, willpower is required but alcoholism is not caused my a lack of willpower.

Does that make sense?
Old 12-18-2004, 07:49 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:48 AM
I have to disagree, beli. It is not just an obsession. For an alcoholic, or any kind of addiction, there is actually something different happening in the brain chemistry having to do with the pleasure/pain principle and serotonin levels. I have actually studied this a great deal in dealing with a close friend with serious, life-threatening, addictions. I have no addictions on either side of my family as far back as anyone can trace. I can have, say, 3 drinks of straight liquor and feel nothing more than warmth and relaxation. More than that and I start to get drunk. This friend, however, has ONE drink and he begins slurring his words and absolutely cannot say no to another drink, and in fact he is then driven by something beyond his control to have another drink. It is a disease, not an obsession, although probably an argument can be made that obsessions might be diseases as well.

bsp77, it is really good that you are able to have such willpower and I think it is also very courageous of you to even question whether you might be an alcoholic.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
Its an obsession. Same with drug addicts

Same with people who have to wash their hands 300 times before they leave the house.

Its not a willpower thing. To overcome it, yes, willpower is required but alcoholism is not caused my a lack of willpower.

Does that make sense?
Yeah, that makes sense, I guess I am looking for a scientific answer. Neurons, synapses and such.

Sometimes I feel that I have the addictive gene but just fight it. I probably think about having a drink much more than is healthy, but still drink in moderation. I am pretty sure that alcoholism is real but my feelings often betray that. I guess I using my own experience too much, everyone is different.

Are there any recovering alcoholics around here that would be willing to talk about it? Maybe that is too personal, I really just want to understand it. I guess I should just go read an article on the Internet and leave everyone alone.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:56 PM   #54
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
I have to disagree, beli. It is not just an obsession. For an alcoholic, or any kind of addiction, there is actually something different happening in the brain chemistry having to do with the pleasure/pain principle and serotonin levels. I have actually studied this a great deal in dealing with a close friend with serious, life-threatening, addictions. I have no addictions on either side of my family as far back as anyone can trace. I can have, say, 3 drinks of straight liquor and feel nothing more than warmth and relaxation. More than that and I start to get drunk. This friend, however, has ONE drink and he begins slurring his words and absolutely cannot say no to another drink, and in fact he is then driven by something beyond his control to have another drink. It is a disease, not an obsession, although probably an argument can be made that obsessions might be diseases as well.

bsp77, it is really good that you are able to have such willpower and I think it is also very courageous of you to even question whether you might be an alcoholic.
You posted while I was posting, this is the kind of thing I am looking for.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:03 PM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I have to disagree, beli. It is not just an obsession.
I disagree. It is an obsession. I dont use the word obsession lightely though. I wouldn't call anything "just an obsession". Obsession is quite a heavy, clinical word.

Also, your friend can be an alcoholic who has one glass and is slurring. Many more alcoholics can drink whole bottles of alcohol and still appear perfectly sober.

If we are really going to get into it, its a depression related disease, which is what alcoholics are treated for. Once they can overcome their depression it makes it a little bit easier to generate enough willpower to overcome the genetic predisposition to obsession /addiction.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:08 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I disagree. It is an obsession.
I would agree that it is an obsession if you are talking about dysfunctions in brain chemistry that lead to obsessive behavior.

I agree with everything else you said. My friend is definitely just one kind of alcoholic. But the point was that alcohol affects alcoholics in a completely different way than how it affects the non-alcoholic.

Also, depression is related to serotonin levels, so there is definitely a link there.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:09 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess I am looking for a scientific answer. Neurons, synapses and such.
You want science? Here you go:

http://www.familiesofaddiction.com/concept.htm
Old 12-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:

You want science? Here you go:

http://www.familiesofaddiction.com/concept.htm
You actually did send me some stuff about synapses. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time understanding it because I have had too much Chianti. Ironic, huh?

I actually just took a quiz and it determined that I am a Light Drinker and should be cautious: You have scored within the Zone 2 risk level, which means you are slightly above the low-risk guidelines and may be at risk.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:31 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

bsp77

But maybe the Chianti enabled you to chill out enough to begin this exploration and, see, you already learned something.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:34 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
bsp77

But maybe the Chianti enabled you to chill out enough to begin this exploration and, see, you already learned something.
Thanks! I will read it tomorrow morning, hopefully it will make sense then. I better go drink some water now because dehydration causes most hangovers, not withdrawal.