To drink or not to drink...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
1. Do not abuse your body

2. Do not cause others to stumble

Hey now, drinks can be good for you. One glass of milk, two glasses of orange juice and 47 pints of Guinness will give you all the nutrients you need for one day.

Alcoholism runs in my family. Two of my mother's uncles were alcoholics during the Depression. We've had other alcohol problems in the family as well. I don't want to drink because I'm afraid I might have the predisposition myself, and gosh, I don't want that complication in my life.

I made a personal decision not to drink, 1) because I have had serious problems with depression, anxiety, and grief and adding alcohol might not be a good idea and 2) it causes an interaction with the Paxil that I'm taking.

I don't have any problems whatsoever with people drinking, except if you get behind the wheel, are pregnant, or if your family has a history of alcoholism, and I'm not talking about going out and partying, getting shit-faced once in a while. I've seen the 3rd reason first hand. Alcoholism is a disease. This is an issue close to me.

speedracer said:

Hey now, drinks can be good for you. One glass of milk, two glasses of orange juice and 47 pints of Guinness will give you all the nutrients you need for one day.

lol

"Guinness For Strength"
"Guinness Is Good For You"

beli said:

If we are really going to get into it, its a depression related disease, which is what alcoholics are treated for. Once they can overcome their depression it makes it a little bit easier to generate enough willpower to overcome the genetic predisposition to obsession /addiction.

I have a friend who lives in a really horrible situation. His Dad is a complete tyrant and I have witnessed first hand what living in his home is like. There was an awful atmosophere and I'd never go back. His Mum is a recovering alcoholic. She is in an unhappy marriage and has been suffering with depression for years apparently. She has been on anti-depressants and has started going out with her family and her friends, this is when she started going to AA meetings and only now that she has changed her life that she has sought to get help. :up:

alcohol kills more ppl every year in america then all other drugs combined. over 75,000. it cause cancer in just about every orgaan in your body and it shuts down most of your organs, not to mention the fact that its highly addictive. it was also originally intended to disinfect wounds yet ppl consume it and not too mention the buzz you get from it doesnt feel that great, makes you throw up the next day and gives you a killer headache.

It should absolutely be legal, I even have a problem with the fact that (at least in Georgia) you can't purchase alcohol on Sunday. WTF? This is supposed to be a secular country.

Anyway, I have no religious problems with it and don't think badly of people that drink (which would be most people), but I really don't like it. Just with my mom and everything I havent had particularly good experiences with what it can do to a person. I really don't want to be like that. :huh:

beli said:
Theres some statistics that people who have one alcoholic parent have a 50% chance of having an addictive personality.

If you have two alcoholic parents then the chances are even higher.

i'll drink to that

Alcooliques26.gif
...New Castle beer is awesome......
That's my $0.02.....

Alcooliques.gif

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I know people of all walks of life religious or not who have very harsh stances on drinking. What is your opinion? And why?

Personally, I chose not to drink. First, I haven't developed a taste for most alcoholic beverages. Second, they're WAY more expensive than pop or water. Third, my boyfriend can no longer drink b/c of the meds he's on. Fourth, my uncle is an alcoholic and I know that can run in the family and even though he's not a parent, I don't want to mess around. Fifth, I've never been in a situation where I felt I'd have more fun or fit in more if I was drinking. Sixth, I'm not 21 (perhaps that should be number 1!). Seventh, in general, I can't think of any good reasons TO drink, it would only cost me money and could have VERY bad consequences if I got out of control.

Overall, I don't care what others do. I don't really go out clubbing or partying just to drink b/c to me it's a waste of time and money and I prefer to relax rather than let loose, but I don't care what my friends or others do as long as I'm not finding out that they've put themselves into situations where they've disrespected others or themselves as a result of drinking. Religiously, I don't think there's anything to support "drinking is a sin!". I think do anything in extreme excess is what's sinful, not drinking in general.

Drinking is not bad if it's not overdone.That being said, some people should not drink at all (like what senrab posted about himself).

Me? I will probably have a drink once in a great while. Perhaps only on specially ocassions.I had my first beer on the 4th of July, and I wasn't too enamored with it.

So drink if you want to, but be resposible with it, just like with everything else in life.

Back
Top Bottom