To drink or not to drink... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2004, 09:37 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77

Every time I drink, I crave a line of coke.

Seriously, all the drug users I knew in college, usually did NOT drink much alcohol. Even most of the pot heads did not drink.
yeah, generally speaking, if you're doing a certain kind of drug, you're not a hard core drinker also.

except for the guys in motley crue or some stupid shit like like.

Old 12-18-2004, 10:09 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 10:52 PM
I've got no problem at all with drinking, but do get annoyed by the slobbery sick drunk people. I also have no tolerance for people who do stupid stuff and blame it on alcohol. It's not like I've never been blasted to the point of incoherance, but I've been able to control myself.

As for those who don't drink by saying "they don't see the point"..ect..these are the people I'm afraid for actually. Mainly college age non-drinkers. Unless someone is so incredibly committed to not drinking, usually for religious reasons, they will eventually break down and have something to drink. When that time comes, they don't know how to handle alcohol and these are the people in my experience who do incredibly dumb things and don't know when to stop drinking. In fact, every person I've known who's been in detox has been someone who for the first couple years of college was like "I can have fun without drinking" When these girls finally did drink, they didn't know how their body would handle it and went out of control. That's just my personal experience, but I've found that the regular drinkers aren't the ones doing stupid stuff(at least stuff they totally regretted).

Old 12-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:

Every time I drink, I crave a line of coke.

Seriously, all the drug users I knew in college, usually did NOT drink much alcohol. Even most of the pot heads did not drink.
I'm not talking about people who drink, or people who do drugs who aren't addicts; I'm talking about people with a genetic predisposition to addictions. It's a pattern I've seen a lot for many many years. I have a number of friends who have died from drug overdoses and the trigger was always alcohol. I'm glad your experience has been different.

To clarify, what I'm saying is that obviously not everyone who drinks will then go become a drug addict; that's ridiculous. But for people with a genetic predisposition to addictions, alcohol is often the gateway drug. It is often said that marijuana is the gateway drug but this has not been my experience or that of anyone else that I know. It is my opinion that alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than marijuana. But I'm not against alcohol for any moral reasons. I enjoy a drink myself.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I have a problem with excessive drinking. Especially these days since one of my friends who is 17 lost her virginity while she was drunk. And that was after she had said "Oh no, I don't get THAT drunk."
Oh yeah, people seem to think alcohol is some kind of mental disorder. Mind you, I don't oppose drinking in general, but blaming it for doing stupid things is pretty irresponsible. Drunk drivers especially piss me off more than anything. Drinking is fun and games until it becomes you. There are people out there who talk about nothing but alcohol. I fart in their direction.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:37 AM   #35
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

I'm not talking about people who drink, or people who do drugs who aren't addicts; I'm talking about people with a genetic predisposition to addictions. It's a pattern I've seen a lot for many many years. I have a number of friends who have died from drug overdoses and the trigger was always alcohol. I'm glad your experience has been different.

To clarify, what I'm saying is that obviously not everyone who drinks will then go become a drug addict; that's ridiculous. But for people with a genetic predisposition to addictions, alcohol is often the gateway drug. It is often said that marijuana is the gateway drug but this has not been my experience or that of anyone else that I know. It is my opinion that alcohol is a much more dangerous drug than marijuana. But I'm not against alcohol for any moral reasons. I enjoy a drink myself.
If someone has an addictive gene then it will find its way to come out whether through alcohol or not. I have just seen a lot people post about how horrible alcohol is over and over (there have been other threads too). Alcohol can certainly be used in bad ways, but so can food. Obesity is a horrible problem in the US. Everything comes down to moderation. And smoking I think is much worse, it is the only substance I can think of that can kill you and harm people around you when used the way it is meant to be used and in moderation.

Oh, and I wasn't trying to come down on you, sometimes I just can't resist my own sarcasm.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:52 AM
I sometimes go out for drinks, I have never drank myself to an oblivion and am always aware of what I am doing. Sometimes I may go out and not drink at all, sometimes I might like a glass of wine or something. If people want to go out with friends, have a drink, chat well, I think there is nothing wrong with it. I find people who drink and drive to be wreckless and should be punished for it, especially an adult who spends the night drinking then drives home with 4 children in his car (someone we know did this), that's jsut selfish and stupid. I think there should bea crackdown on underage drinking, a lot young people tend to get themselves in nasty situations when they are drunk. (I was listening to a report on the radio last week about young people getting drunk, one girl was a diabetic and had callopsed, another boy had hit his head on the ground and a few others had been in fights/ hurt themselves as a result of drinking).

As Beli said: Live and let live.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:52 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
There are people out there who talk about nothing but alcohol. I fart in their direction.
Me too, pal.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:52 PM
1. Do not abuse your body

2. Do not cause others to stumble
Old 12-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:

Everything comes down to moderation.
I agree with you there, except that by definition alcoholics can't moderate their alcohol intake and, as you said, the addiction can come out in other ways. It's a terrible disease. But in terms of people who aren't addicts but perhaps just abusers, I agree with you that moderation is the way to go--in all things. Alcohol abuse is something I have never quite understood since I don't see the appeal; it makes people do really stupid things and its effects are quite unattractive. I rarely drink but occasionally it's a nice way to relax. There is nothing wrong with drinking in moderation and I really have little tolerance for people who get all self-righteous about it.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:29 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:52 AM
I don't have a problem with people drinking alcohol as long as they don't over indulge to the point they get drunk. I have an occasional glass of wine with my meals or if some sort of celebration is going on. Like bsp77 said "Everything comes down to moderation".
Old 12-18-2004, 04:44 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
1. Do not abuse your body

2. Do not cause others to stumble
Do you mean these are reasons not to drink at all? Or do you mean don't drink to the point it causes these things? I'm not quite sure.

My opinion:

I don't personally drink much, hardly ever when I'm out (I always drive, so I don't drink), but I like it sometimes. I actually drank wine and other alcohol when I was very young too...never much, usually a few sips here and there, occasionally some over ice cream (still love a nice coffee or hazelnut liqueur plain or over ice cream). My dad liked to make wine, so of course I always got to taste it. I actually think that because it was never made a big deal to drink it never became a source of rebellion against as it seems to for so many kids. I was always allowed, so I didn't need to go behind my parents' backs.

I don't really care what others do, unless it has an adverse effect on others. So, essentially use is OK, abuse is not. Doesn't mean one can't get plastered sometimes (in fairly controlled situations), but none of the drunk driving and similar behaviour. Also, it's probably not a good idea to drink (even in what would normally be considered moderation) if you have had problems with it, or there is a history of problems in your family.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:11 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Also, it's probably not a good idea to drink (even in what would normally be considered moderation) if you have had problems with it, or there is a history of problems in your family.
Only problem with that is most people I have talked to have some family member (grandparent, uncle) who was an alcoholic. Both sides of my family have some history with it, but I do not have any problem.

Speaking of which, I just opened a nice bottle of Chianti and am watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Life is good.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:14 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Only problem with that is most people I have talked to have some family member (grandparent, uncle) who was an alcoholic. Both sides of my family have some history with it, but I do not have any problem.

Speaking of which, I just opened a nice bottle of Chianti and am watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Life is good.

I don't mean one or two family members with a problem, as you say, pretty much everyone has that, but if there are several close family members with problems, not drinking at all might be a wise decision. It's up to each person to decide though.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I don't mean one or two family members with a problem, as you say, pretty much everyone has that, but if there are several close family members with problems, not drinking at all might be a wise decision. It's up to each person to decide though.
Alright I'll give you that. If your parents or siblings were alcoholics, definitely proceed with caution.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Alright I'll give you that. If your parents or siblings were alcoholics, definitely proceed with caution.
'tis OK, my first post wasn't very clear on that point.