Time Travel - Yes? No?? Maybe??? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2005, 01:37 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:48 AM
Time is not a human construction.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:00 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Time is not a human construction.
Time as we know it is.

Old 05-30-2005, 02:12 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Define as we know it, an atomic clock using an atomic resonance frequency defines time accurately. Not our own experience of the world which is dependent on a whole manner of biological factors.

Time is a property of the universe, it is not made or defined by human beings or individuals; it would exist and obey the same laws even if we did not.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:34 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Define as we know it, an atomic clock using an atomic resonance frequency defines time accurately. Not our own experience of the world which is dependent on a whole manner of biological factors.

Time is a property of the universe, it is not made or defined by human beings or individuals; it would exist and obey the same laws even if we did not.
But you just defined time in our understaning of it. If we weren't here to experience it, what woud 'time' be?

If someone was able to travel the timeline then time wouldn't matter or have definition.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:40 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

If we weren't able to measure it time would still be the resonance frequency of say a caesium atom.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:01 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If we weren't able to measure it time would still be the resonance frequency of say a caesium atom.
We as humans "discovered" and defined time. We are the ones to divide the day in order to record history.

What time is it? No one here knows. You may say it's 2pm May 30, 2005 because that's what your calender says. But who said your calender was right? Your country?

My watch is behind by a few minutes, does that make me wrong?
Old 05-30-2005, 03:40 AM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

You are talking about different measurements of time but not time itself.

What time is it here? it is 3971614046332464000000000000 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium-133 atom at zero kelvins since the start of the Universe.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:48 AM
I have a question. Or two...

I am sitting here at 12:00pm AEST on a Sunday. I want to travel back to 12:00pm AEST on Saturday, a full 24 hours prior. My body which apprently 'leaves' the Sunday, actually moves to the Saturday, a time I have previously existed in, and exists a second time?
1. What happens to my body which had prior existence on the Saturday? Is that event overridden, or do I co-create history with 2 selves?
2. Does my physical self vanish into thin air on the Sunday? Would someone witnessing it, see me disappear?
3. Can the human mind remember 2 simultaneous events, which I am supposed to have lived both of? How could I conciously be aware of both?
4. Is the dragon happy in Romania? Dumbledore wont speak of it. Partypooper.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #24
Jesus Online

Oh, and one more...A_W, what the hell degree are you studying buddy?
Old 05-30-2005, 04:17 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
I have a question. Or two...

I am sitting here at 12:00pm AEST on a Sunday. I want to travel back to 12:00pm AEST on Saturday, a full 24 hours prior. My body which apprently 'leaves' the Sunday, actually moves to the Saturday, a time I have previously existed in, and exists a second time?
1. What happens to my body which had prior existence on the Saturday? Is that event overridden, or do I co-create history with 2 selves?
2. Does my physical self vanish into thin air on the Sunday? Would someone witnessing it, see me disappear?
3. Can the human mind remember 2 simultaneous events, which I am supposed to have lived both of? How could I conciously be aware of both?
4. Is the dragon happy in Romania? Dumbledore wont speak of it. Partypooper.
1: The only feesible way that I could see time travel working is if you did not travel backwards in time but to another universe where it is just like it was 24 hours ago but altering anything will not alter your timeline, only this alternate universe timeline.

The idea of two selves existing is taking matter and energy from the future and transporting it back to the past which must really upset things.

2: There is no reason that your physical self would vanish in this impossible scenario, the question is that if you are travelling to an exact point in the past to an exact point in space what is preventing an infinite number of future versions of you instantaneously arriving at the same point creating a fixed point of such density that it creates a black hole, or worse.

3: A paradox is created, if you alter your memories in the past with your behaviour when you travel backwards you will alter your behaviour when you travel back and change those memories in the past. My advice is to take 2 asprin and then bash your head in with a blunt object.

4: Um, Harry Potter right? hey that movie, the one with the bus, that had time travel in it

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Oh, and one more...A_W, what the hell degree are you studying buddy?
Bachelor of Science, double major in Zoology and Geoscience, but coming from a maths, physics and chemistry background in VCE and a strong general interest in cosmology.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:41 AM   #26
Jesus Online

In short, and it seems you agree, it is just not physically possible to go back to something which no longer exists.
Thank you mate.

Potter
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Travelling forward and backward in time really wasn't as exciting as I thought it'd be.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #28
Acrobat

Quote:

Bachelor of Science, double major in Zoology and Geoscience, but coming from a maths, physics and chemistry background in VCE and a strong general interest in cosmology.
AHHHHH!!!! My poor head

Anyone interested in time-travel and research on superstring theory, and dimensions outside our 4 of space and time should read Hyperspace by physicist Michio Kaku, who is a professor at CUNY. It's written plainly for a physics book and he introduces a lot of ideas and theories in quantum physics. Actually quite a page turner.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 01:48 AM
oh, time travel is such a baloney. if anyone managed to do it, dont you think they'd come back and tell us about it

on the other hand, maybe those people are the UFOs we see! maybe time travellers are being kept in places like area 51! maybe jesus was a time traveler (he came back with a special lazer ray to impregnate mary to give birth to.. himself!) and miracles were merely technological curiosities. maybe people from the future live amongst us even now, and theyre keeping themselves secret!

on the other hand, i think we should just rule out any possibility of exceeding the speed of light so that we can eliminate this as a subject of discussion.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:29 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Impossible.