Time to panic? -- or -- Get yourself an extension cord - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2002, 03:29 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Time to panic? -- or -- Get yourself an extension cord

Some stories get a lot of attention and some do not.

My advice ladies and gentlemen---- is fire up ALL new personal appliances with a 20 foot extension cord.

Quote:
Razors Rigged With Explosives Injure 2

Times Headlines

From Associated Press

TROY, N.Y. -- Electric razors that had been rigged with explosives blew up in the faces of two men, wounding both, authorities said Thursday.

Federal and local investigators urged shoppers to be careful when buying electric razors, and to call authorities if they see a razor left in a public place.

"There is a very strong possibility that there are other razors out there," Sheriff Dan Keating said.

Keating added that the razors had been similarly rigged. He said whoever tampered with them replaced wires, took out batteries and put in gunpowder.

The two explosions happened about seven months apart. Keating gave no reason for the delay in making the incidents public.

In the first incident, on March 27, Hosea Crumpler of Troy found what appeared to be a new razor in a case in a McDonald's restroom, police said.

When the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute student plugged it in at home, the razor blew up, wounding his face, neck, chest, torso and both hands, according to police. He was hospitalized for several days. "It was a pretty significant explosion," Capt. Jack Mahar said. "A piece of shrapnel also hit his wife in the face and almost got his little girl. We determined that someone put it in the restroom, waiting for someone else to find it."

On Oct. 12, James Burdick, 44, tried to use a different brand razor that his wife had bought at a Price Chopper store in Bennington, Vt., 30 miles from Troy. The razor exploded when it was plugged in at his home.

Burdick suffered minor injuries, mostly burns and cuts, and did not require hospitalization.

Police said whoever rigged the razor may have planted it in the Vermont store. Price Chopper spokeswoman Mona Galub said the store chain does not carry that brand of razor.

The second explosion was treated as a product failure until an analysis at the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms lab in Rockville, Md., determined that the razor had been altered deliberately. ATF investigator John Morgan said Thursday that the razor "was converted to an improvised explosive device." Morgan said the explosive devices were powerful enough to kill the men.

Old 11-08-2002, 04:42 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:17 AM
How about stop using electric razors that don't give you as close a shave anyways. I use Turbo Mach 3 razor and though its a close shave unlike electic razors, I still have to shave twice in order to get a close shave. Some say it only takes me about 12 hours to start growing a beard or look unshaven.

Old 11-08-2002, 05:00 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Sting,

This is a real story.

I found it in the back pages of the Los Angeles Times.
There are at least two people out there who have almost gotten their heads blown off.

We had a panic in this country with Tylenol poisoning many years ago that resulted in tamper proof packaging.

This makes me think a bit about the CIA plot to blow off Castro’s head with exploding cigars.

I am not saying the CIA is remotely involved here.

But, why no air play on this?

I have thoughts, but they are only speculation.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:15 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

deep,

Its raining in Southern California. It is practically a weather emergency. The dopler 7000 radar is working overtime.

No wonder the story got no airplay.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:47 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
This makes me think a bit about the CIA plot to blow off Castro’s head with exploding cigars.
Someone really should turn that into a "smoking is bad" commercial.

Otherwise the taxpayer just isn't getting their money worth from the CIA.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:41 PM   #6
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
deep,

Its raining in Southern California. It is practically a weather emergency. The dopler 7000 radar is working overtime.

No wonder the story got no airplay.
You can't interupt "Storm Watch" for real news!

Well, Fox 11 did take a break from their "First Storm" coverage this morning and ran this story...so did the OC Register.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:08 PM   #7
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:17 AM
Deep, your thread headings rock the free world.

Join Amnesty.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:13 PM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:17 AM

Wow...that's freaky...

Who the hell thinks up this kinda stuff?

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 11-08-2002, 10:33 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:17 PM

I think it is all a big Republican witch-hunt, nothing more than a gargantuan conspiracy orchestrated by the big business interests of the Gillette company to create their own monopoly via the fear component. Victor Kiam and whoever owns Norelco must have endorsed some Democrats somewhere.

I am kidding.

~U2Alabama
Old 11-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Sorry, I did not mean to trivialize the issue. I don't use an electric razor and after reading this, I'm not about to. There are some very sick and twisted people out there that want to do something that will make the evening news, by hurting others. I hope they can catch the people who did this.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:34 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Sting,
No need to apologise.
My initial post seems a bit less serious than this subject deserves.

Quote:
When the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute student plugged it in at home, the razor blew up, wounding his face, neck, chest, torso and both hands, according to police. He was hospitalized for several days. "It was a pretty significant explosion," Capt. Jack Mahar said. "A piece of shrapnel also hit his wife in the face and almost got his little girl. We determined that someone put it in the restroom, waiting for someone else to find it."
The part about his wife and little girl is really upsetting to me.

Anyways, I am as guilty of trivializing on this board as anyone.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:29 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:17 PM

Well, it is for real as I heard something else about it over the weekend; it does sound a lot like the Tylenol/cyanide tampering of the 1980s.

I don't see what people get out of such attacks. Attention? Satisfaction? Thrills?

~U2Alabama