Time Names Bush: 2004 "PERSON OF THE YEAR"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Magazine chooses president
for ‘sticking to his guns’

"NEW YORK - President Bush’s bold, uncompromising leadership and his clear-cut election victory made him Time magazine’s “Person of the Year” for 2004, its managing editor said on Sunday."

"Time chose Bush “for sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his 10-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters this time around that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years,” Jim Kelly wrote in the magazine."

"Bush was also Time’s choice to appear on the cover in 2000 after winning the presidential election despite losing the popular vote."

"His father, President George H. W. Bush, was named “Man of the Year” in 1990 for what Time called his mastery of foreign policy and his wavering domestic record."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6734249/

Not very surprising coming from Time. They have always been a right wing puppet.

STING2 said:
his 10-gallon-hat leadership style

He's a leader? I dunno, it seems to me that Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Ashcroft, when he was a part of the administration, were the ones doing all the work. Bush just seemed to me to be a puppet who did whatever everyone around him told him to do.

Originally posted by STING2
and for persuading a majority of voters this time around that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years

He sure didn't persuade me to believe that.

Angela

I always thought Time magazine voted on its Person of the Year based on who they thought had the most impact on the world, either for good or bad. So I don't really have much of a beef with the mere act of voting Bush "Person of the Year." However, praising him for "sticking to his guns" and lauding his leadership style is pukeworthy. :barf:

Last edited:
I think it should be pointed out that "Person of the Year" isn't necessarily given because they *approve* of the person. Rather, they decide that the person is the most influential person of the year. In 1979 they caused a storm of controversy by picking the Ayatollah Khoumeni. Did this mean they liked Khoumeni? Certainly not. He was the person they chose as having the most political influence at the time. Bush, like it or not, is the most influential politician in the world right now. I have never supported him and still don't. I'm disappointed that they endorsed his leadership style, which I'm not a fan of. I personally find it a bit heavy-handed at times. Some years they don't even choose a person. In 1989 they chose the people of the old Warsaw pact countries as "people of the year" for kicking their communist dictators out on their asses. One year the Earth was chosen as the "Planet of the Year".

Last edited:
Yeah, if they're going strictly on most influential person, Bush would qualify-whether or not you find his influence a good or a bad one, he definitely did have some influence this year. Course, there were tons of other influential people running around this year, too.

Angela

I give a thumbs up!

I think it is impressive that he managed to be re-elected considering the fact that no other candidate winning throught the electoral college the first time has ever been elected a second term.

Dreadsox said:
I give a thumbs up!

I think it is impressive that he managed to be re-elected considering the fact that no other candidate winning throught the electoral college the first time has ever been elected a second term.

I will give him this.

verte76 said:
I think it should be pointed out that "Person of the Year" isn't necessarily given because they *approve* of the person. Rather, they decide that the person is the most influential person of the year. In 1979 they caused a storm of controversy by picking the Ayatollah Khoumeni. Did this mean they liked Khoumeni? Certainly not. He was the person they chose as having the most political influence at the time. Bush, like it or not, is the most influential politician in the world right now. I have never supported him and still don't. I'm disappointed that they endorsed his leadership style, which I'm not a fan of. I personally find it a bit heavy-handed at times. Some years they don't even choose a person. In 1989 they chose the people of the old Warsaw pact countries as "people of the year" for kicking their communist dictators out on their asses. One year the Earth was chosen as the "Planet of the Year".

Exactly. They don't always choose a person they approve of. I hate Bush myself, and it's too bad this thing could be giving him credit, but I understand their choice in terms of importance or influence. If I remember correctly they also have named Hitler and Stalin in their times, so here you go...

But even in the influential dept, it's truly Karl Rove and the advisors who drive a lot of the influencing...Bush is just a figurehead. Then there's Colin Powell who gets to smooth out all the bumps.

I don't think that Bush was the best choice for this, I was quite irritated this morning when I heard that, although not entirely surprised.

a) He was the most influential person in '04. If you go by Times criteria, he would have won the Free Your Mind Person Of The Year as well.

b) Don't Time always give it to the elected/re-elected Pres in an election year?

As for Bush, 49 percent of respondents said they approved of the job the president is doing. That number is down from his November approval rating of 55 percent. Bush is the first incumbent president to have an approval rating below 50 percent one month after winning re-election.

Earnie Shavers said:
a) He was the most influential person in '04. If you go by Times criteria, he would have won the Free Your Mind Person Of The Year as well.

b) Don't Time always give it to the elected/re-elected Pres in an election year?

Clinton was Man of The Year in 1992, when he was elected.

Back
Top Bottom