Time Magazine's Person of the Year - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
yes, because there has only ever been one incident of ethnic cleansing ever that that's Srebrenica.

the article states, explicitly, as does everyone else, that a MAJOR factor for the decrease in violence in Baghdad -- the decrease that's being desperately promoted by McCain and others as some sort of vindication -- is because neighborhoods that were once ETHNICALLY MIXED are now no longer mixed. these neighborhoods have been CLEANSED of either Sunnis or Shiites. 4.5 million fled, hundreds of thousands have been killed.

but, no, i guess it's not Srebrenica, so it doesn't count.
You said Baghdad was ethnically cleansed. It is not, not even close. Srebrenica, and multiple towns in the Serb section of Bosnia are examples of that. Baghdad still has multiple ethnic groups within the city, Srebrenica and other cities like it do not. What don't you understand?

What the article does not tell you is that the walled neighborhoods and seperation of ethnicities within the city to the degree that they are today had already happened MONTHS prior to the Surge and there for do not explain the decrease in violence in the city. The Surge did not cause sectarian violence, it reduced it.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #47
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Why are Iraq, the Middle East, and US politics the only "global events and politics" that matter?
Their not the only events and politics that matter, but they are definitely toward the top of the list, and anyone that is having such a heavy impact on all of them should indeed be considered for person of the year.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
Their not the only events and politics that matter, but they are definitely toward the top of the list, and anyone that is having such a heavy impact on all of them should indeed be considered for person of the year.
US Politics is specific to the US, not the world.

And the Middle East is an issue, absolutely, and an important one, but it is just one issue. Petraeus has had effect on one world issue. That's it.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:

US Politics is specific to the US, not the world.

And the Middle East is an issue, absolutely, and an important one, but it is just one issue. Petraeus has had effect on one world issue. That's it.
US politics impacts the world in a larger way than any other single country on the planet which is why everyone is watching the US presidential race. Petraeus has impacted the situation in Iraq, the situation in the region, and the political situation in the United States. I think he is definitely ahead of Putin on the list for 2007, but this is TIME magazine and they would never put anyone so connected to administration policy on the cover.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

I think you underestimate the influence of Putin then.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

US politics impacts the world in a larger way than any other single country on the planet which is why everyone is watching the US presidential race. Petraeus has impacted the situation in Iraq, the situation in the region, and the political situation in the United States. I think he is definitely ahead of Putin on the list for 2007, but this is TIME magazine and they would never put anyone so connected to administration policy on the cover.
I agree with your posts and most of this one. However, TIME has put some decent (IMO) people as Person Of The Year- Bush twice, Giuliani, the American Soldier, so I'll give them a pass on Putin, I suppose. I don't read TIME regularly, but I don't believe it's an ultra-liberal publication.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:38 PM   #52
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

it's the person who's had the most influence on world events. Stalin has been Time's person of the year. it's not an endorsement. it's a statement of fact.
Uh no, its the opinion of TIME magazine.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:

but this is TIME magazine and they would never put anyone so connected to administration policy on the cover.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:45 PM   #54
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

How's that crow taste, sting?

And back on topic, fine, congratulations, you're right. Ethnically cleansed is not the right term to describe Baghdad. However, I dare say that ethnically segregated is, and could you now at least respond to the content of the article rather than the term being used?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
I think you underestimate the influence of Putin then.
Well, then, discuss how Putin has impacted world events beyond the borders of Russia for the year 2007? Remember, Putin is not the reason that energy prices are up and Russian oil and natural gas companies are raking in the money. I agree that Kosovo is an important issue, but its not at this point on the level of Iraq, the Middle East, or even the US presidential election. The Russians may now be against a new round of sanctions against Iran, but that has far more to do with US politics in the latest NIE on Iran than Putin.

Putin's consolidation of power within Russia, his popularity within Russia, and the fact that the next President of Russia may just be a figurehead with Prime Minister Putin pulling all the strings is impressive. But I would still vote for Petraeus over him for impacting significant events or situations in the world specifically in 2007.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen
How's that crow taste, sting?

And back on topic, fine, congratulations, you're right. Ethnically cleansed is not the right term to describe Baghdad. However, I dare say that ethnically segregated is, and could you now at least respond to the content of the article rather than the term being used?
Probably not as good as the crow their entire staff had to eat after November 2004. No wonder that put him on the cover that year.

I didn't have a problem with the article. The issue I had was this idea that Baghdad was ethnically cleansed and that the segregated nature within the city is a cause for the sudden reduction in violence, when in fact the segregated nature within the city existed long before the start of the surge and had no impact on the level of violence.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:

US politics impacts the world in a larger way than any other single country on the planet which is why everyone is watching the US presidential race.
Just as an aside, I don't think (in our media here anyway) any US presidential race has received so much attention so early. At this stage it's normally only still a very small story, the media doesn't really start paying major attention until you have your two nominated candidates, and even then, it's only right at the end that it becomes a 'big' story. This time though, check in on any Australian media sites and daily you'll see stories about it - especially (and mostly) the Clinton/Obama race.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Hahaha.... (a) they don't understand the premise of this 'award', (b) they want to be President?
I'm afraid a and b combined.

I would then weigh in that the American homeowner should be Person of the Year.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #59
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

So basically, Petraeus has lowered the death rate in Iraq and made things more secure than before the surge. As Murtha said, it's pretty much a no brainer that if you pour more troops into the area that security will most likely increase.

But you consistently ignore the elephant in the room, which is an utter failure of the Iraqi government to... govern. To take the increased security and make some real progress. And without a functioning government the increased security ultimately means little. Which you yourself pointed out with your reference to the NIE stating that restructuring our troops and/or mission would have negative effects on security. If that's true, it's only true because the surge has failed to produce political process.

So we are at impasse. Either we wait around until the Iraqi government gets itself together and actually governs (which at current rates puts us there...oh, I don't know...forever), or we withdraw and the security dissolves (or chaos breaks out as soon as we bring one troop back according to the right). Neither one is an appealing option, but sooner or later you're going to have to face reality.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

Just as an aside, I don't think (in our media here anyway) any US presidential race has received so much attention so early. At this stage it's normally only still a very small story, the media doesn't really start paying major attention until you have your two nominated candidates, and even then, it's only right at the end that it becomes a 'big' story. This time though, check in on any Australian media sites and daily you'll see stories about it - especially (and mostly) the Clinton/Obama race.
Interesting. I'm sure I'll get asked about it or see it discussed in Ireland this week then, although it is the holidays and not Iowa.