Time Magazine Man of the Year is YOU!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Time editors just don't have the balls to declare someone 'evil' person of the year anymore.

Considering the state of things in Iraq, I think 'The Iraqi Insurgent' would have been a fascinating choice for person of the year. Also would be a great contrast to the American Soldier person of the year a year or two ago.

tonyhotland said:

Who finances Time? Anyone knows?

They are a publicly traded company (TWX). So there is a financial motive to select someone safe. Otherwise, their advertisers and/or subscribers could bail on them.

phillyfan26 said:
My college application will include:

- 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year

Awesome, I hope you do this. I work (not in a decision making position, mind you) in my school's admissions office and they love playful, creative stuff, especially since this shows you pay attention to the world. I'd love to put it on my resume if I were applying to work for the right kind of company. Just one thing - go with "Person."

Varitek said:

Just one thing - go with "Person."

No, he should go with "Man." It's much more portentous that way -- very Ron Burgundy-esque. :) "I'm a big deal. I own many leather bound books and my furniture smells of rich mohagoney."

unfortunately, the problem in Iraq isn't "the insurgency" -- it's the sectarian violence.

perhaps it should have been "Shiite Death Squads."

depressing, but true.

I do still believe it's a copout, for all the controversial and interesting individuals or smaller groups they could have chosen.

But this shows the merit in the choice - blogging, youtube, etc aren't just making the Western world more connected and pushing media to new bounds. These tools have the potential to revolutionize. On the other hand they may breed laziness - it's been observed that people sign internet petitions etc. against the Iraq war but don't actually show up in the streets like they did 35 years ago.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom