Tim Russert dies of heart attack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very moving service.

Apparently as they were leaving the service "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was playing, and when people walked out there was a bright rainbow over the NBC Washington Studio...I saw a photo of it on MSNBC I don't know if it's online somewhere.

I turned it on when I came home just in time to see Bruce.

I didn't get home in time to see it live, but MSNBC aired it again just before
7(C) :sad:

Very moving service.

Apparently as they were leaving the service "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was playing, and when people walked out there was a bright rainbow over the NBC Washington Studio...I saw a photo of it on MSNBC I don't know if it's online somewhere.

That is stunning. I haven't heard about that.
Now I'm all choked up again.

Very moving service.

i didn't see the service, but i did see the rainbow. it was very big and bright.

I just finished watching the repeat of the memorial service. It was beautifully done. Gov. Cuomo was quite funny.

Luke Russert seems like an extremely good kid. I feel so badly for him. What a hole he has in his life now.

That version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" that played at the end of the service was gorgeous. I'm still humming it.

I will miss this man as I watch Keith and the gang at MSNBC covering the campaign and the election. This is going to be quite a year and he's not there. :sad:

I loved Maria Shriver's speech, that one really got me. The poem a friend gave her about John Jr, and when she said this

You see, I lost my heart to Timmy Russert the day I met him. And the
entire time I knew him, he took care of it. He protected my heart
when it needed protection. He nurtured it when it needed care. And
he helped it grow. And he never, ever broke it. A rare man indeed.

It was a beautiful service, very well done and true to who Tim was

I would be surprised if anyone has not heard it

it has been in several movies, t v programs and commercials

I remember hearing it the first time sometime in the 90s

it is beautiful

Israel died in 1997

my favorite song by him is

Hawaii 78

it is him speaking from his own heart

to me it is almost "other worldly".

Israel is an amazing singer...he was gone too soon.

Brian Williams will be hosting MTP this Sunday. I figure NBC will be cycling through hosts until they can decide on somebody. Those will be huge shoes to fill.

Williams would be one of the better picks.

I don't want to derail this too much

here is good picture (rainbow included)

Israel_Kamakawiwo%CA%BBole.jpg

I'd go with BW as well (I know this may shock some people :wink: ), and maybe after some years of experience I'd put Chuck Todd in there.

Both were very close to Tim and are still having a difficult time with the loss.

Brian would be a great choice, but I think David Gregory would be great also!
He asked some really tough questions during those White House briefings before the war and just after we invaded when no one else would.

I agree with the David Gregory choice. Only problem I've had with NBC and David is they've put him on the Today Show, where he has had to do some fluff pieces that is really not his forte. I've always thought it was disrespectful to use David in this way. I never saw them undermine Tim Russert in that fashion and I really like David Gregory. Of course David Gregory wasn't in the same position of Tim Russert's, but he's paid his dues and shouldn't be regulated to filling in on the Today Show.
That's just my opinion, however.

I agree with the David Gregory choice. Only problem I've had with NBC and David is they've put him on the Today Show, where he has had to do some fluff pieces that is really not his forte. I've always thought it was disrespectful to use David in this way. I never saw them undermine Tim Russert in that fashion and I really like David Gregory. Of course David Gregory wasn't in the same position of Tim Russert's, but he's paid his dues and shouldn't be regulated to filling in on the Today Show.
That's just my opinion, however.

I totally agree with you. At least he's got his own show on MSNBC, Race for the White House. Maybe that was part of his deal? Who knows.....but ya, David should be doing all the hard hitting stuff. I have a lot of respect for him as I did Tim. Still can't believe he's gone. Geez...
Did you see the "Making a difference" segment on the NBC Nightly News last night? Ann Curry was filling in for Brian
and they did a piece on the charity work Tim did with the Boys and Girls Clubs in Buffalo as well as the Catholic Charities and schools. Ann mentioned that they at NBC, his colleagues weren't even aware of all the charity work he did very quietly behind the scenes. That , ladies and gents, is the mark of a great man. Inspiring.

Brian would be a great choice, but I think David Gregory would be great also!
He asked some really tough questions during those White House briefings before the war and just after we invaded when no one else would.

Why must you always go against U2democrat and me?
We are nice people just trying to spread a little love.

I totally agree with you. At least he's got his own show on MSNBC, Race for the White House. Maybe that was part of his deal? Who knows.....but ya, David should be doing all the hard hitting stuff. I have a lot of respect for him as I did Tim. Still can't believe he's gone. Geez...
Did you see the "Making a difference" segment on the NBC Nightly News last night? Ann Curry was filling in for Brian
and they did a piece on the charity work Tim did with the Boys and Girls Clubs in Buffalo as well as the Catholic Charities and schools. Ann mentioned that they at NBC, his colleagues weren't even aware of all the charity work he did very quietly behind the scenes. That , ladies and gents, is the mark of a great man. Inspiring.

I don't get off work until 6 and Nightly News comes on at 5:30 here. Hate that I missed that.
I'm not surprised about his charity work either. He didn't seem like the type of person who would want accolade's for doing good works - It's from his heart not what he can gain from it.

Brian did an excellent job this morning, I'm sure Brokaw will do well also :up:

He really did. I'm a Tom Brokaw fan so I'm looking forward to seeing him fill the spot during the election.
The Over The Rainbow (I so love that version) and then the pic of the rainbow over Washington gave me chills and tears again.
My sis called and ask why I was crying while watching Meet the Press ??? She's not into politics as much as I. She knew when I said Tim Russert. :heart:

He really did. I'm a Tom Brokaw fan so I'm looking forward to seeing him fill the spot during the election.
The Over The Rainbow (I so love that version) and then the pic of the rainbow over Washington gave me chills and tears again.
My sis called and ask why I was crying while watching Meet the Press ??? She's not into politics as much as I. She knew when I said Tim Russert. :heart:

Same here. That rainbow was magical and very spiritual.
I love it when things like that happen. :heart:

I haven't watched Meet The Press since he died, can't bring myself to do it. Maybe next weekend.

I got both of his books and I'm reading Big Russ And Me first. It's the sweetest book, so "old fashioned" but so enjoyable. I love the stories he tells about his father, especially the Pope and Colonel Sanders one. It's priceless.

I miss him

That should be good, I think Luke is very impressive

NBC News announced Thursday that Luke Russert, son of late Washington Bureau Chief and moderator of "Meet the Press" Tim Russert, will be joining the network to serve as a correspondent-at-large for the Democratic and Republican National Conventions, focusing on youth issues.

The younger Russert impressed viewers nationwide after his composed appearance on the "Today" show the Monday following his father's death, and with his moving tribute to his father at the televised memorial service that Wednesday. He is a recent graduate of Boston College, where he double-majored in History and Communications, and has co-hosted a sports talk show on XM Satellite Radio with James Carville.

"I am extremely humbled and grateful that NBC News is giving me this opportunity," Russert said. "I believe youth issues will continue to play a significant role during this election and I want to do my part to report them honestly and objectively."

Back
Top Bottom