Thoughts on the Islamic World and Terrorism - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2002, 12:57 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG

I watched the whole thing, and I agree on both points. It was underwritten by many (and solely, I think) muslim foundations.

Three most interesting things that I gleaned:

-Mohammed condoned warfare when there was a clear case of persecution, then commanded his people to put away their swords and work for their goals with compromise

I am not convinced the Al Queda movement is not more about political power (because they feel disenfranchised)

If we're outside the muslim community we're "infidels" and it makes it tricky to start or maintain a working relationship (including routing out fanatics) because we will always threaten muslim purity.
Good points SG.
See when I listened to the firefighter and young woman, they seem so much like us.

Al Queda are fanactics..like Charles Manson/Timothy McViegh here.

I dont think the mainstream Muslims like the firefighter would call think of me as an infidel, do u?
Hope not..

DB9

Old 12-23-2002, 12:35 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 06:37 PM
if you don't worship Allah, you're an infidel by definition. Which leads me to wonder, if Allah is the same God as that of the Jews and Christians (as the show seemed to indicate), then believers should not be infidels. But there is all kinds of teachings in muslim schools about killing Jews, and BL along with other militants seems to be including Christians.

Franklin Graham and my Presbyterian pastor say that Allah is not the same God as that of Christians. It wasn't mentioned in the PBS show, but the Koran commands that muslims "slay" infidels. That seems to be anyone who disagrees with them. Not the way of Jesus.

I agree the firefighter and the nurse were pretty regular Americans, and they certainly were committed to serving people. But they look at the world through the lens of the Koran. They don't openly criticize others in America because religious tolerance is guaranteed by our constitution. Muslims have not been so tolerant in places like Indonesia. Cat Stevens was a regular rock star, but after he converted he condoned the fatwa on Salman Rushdie, if I remember that correctly. And look at the mayhem in Africa when a news reporter suggested one of the contestants could have been Muhammed's wife...200 people died in riots because they believed a beauty contest is anathema to Islam.

They have very strict values, to say the least.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:40 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DebbieSG
if you don't worship Allah, you're an infidel by definition. Which leads me to wonder, if Allah is the same God as that of the Jews and Christians (as the show seemed to indicate), then believers should not be infidels. But there is all kinds of teachings in muslim schools about killing Jews, and BL along with other militants seems to be including Christians.
Maybe this is a topic for another thread, but the PBS show was completely off on the portrayal of Allah and God as one and the same. A theological understanding would show how they are mutually exclusive.