Thoughts on Paul McCartney's criticism of the Atlantic Canadian seal hunt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fair enough. Paul McCartney is just a human being with shortcomings like the rest of us. Perhaps we are taking too much pleasure in dwelling on the negative and ignoring the positive. I admire Heather Mills McCartney's advocacy of amputees and campaigning against landmines, those things are lethal and someone has to oppose them.

It was the Lennon, not the McCartney

that wrote most of those lyrics we remember.

It's really puzzling to me, that McCartney, with all his wealth and stage, chooses PETA to toot his horn.

Where is Ted Nugent when you need him?

*see my previous post on the number of people starving to death every day*

*just another silly post*

"But Danny, you don't have to invite me...I'm here, in Newfoundland."

:lol:

That's what bugged me the most. Ignorance is not bliss when you're on the receiving end.

financeguy said:

You don't know what you're taking about.

Overall the ignorance and prejudice against one of the greatest musicians of our time displayed on this thread is quite disturbing particularly coming from people I considered intellgent.:(

Right. Well, I do know what I'm talking about, just as much as you do. I am not ignorant, and I am not prejudiced. And I am, in fact, quite intelligent. I'm sure you are as well.

We just don't agree on this. I don't like Paul McCartney, and I haven't for almost 30 years. I have plenty of reasons for that.
I'm sure you have reasons for thinking he's "one of the greatest musicians of our time". I completely do not. Just don't insult me, okay?

yolland said:
:shrug: As strong animal rights advocates, the McCartneys would probably be opposed to the seal hunt in any case, regardless of what information they had about it.

That touches on an interesting point on how people balance (or fail to balance) taking a general position on a topic, and evaluating a specific instance. By testing a general principle against specific instances, you refine the principle (or, take the easy route to say "this case is just different").

In all likelihood, McCartney has failed to think through the concept of "animal rights".

I wonder how many people who feel we're ganging up on poor Paul have actually seen the interview we're discussing.

For example, Heather interrupted the Premier of Newfoundland (NOT New Finland, thanks) no less than 40 times! She was so incredibly rude and shrill that it was no different watching her than it is watching Ann Coulter in hystrionics and yet nobody here would defend the latter. And as for Paul, he was seriously misinformed and kept bringing up statistics from the 50s and 60s to predict what may possibly maybe sometimes happen in the future. It was ridiculous. If he put his arguments down on paper and handed it to a college prof, he'd get a failing grade.

They were both ridiculous, and furthermore she was plain embarrassing.

What I said was,
critiquing facts and overblown rhetoric is one thing, but overall this thread seems to have turned into a pointless gangbang that has little to do with the original topic.
The thread was interesting and informative until it turned into a string of irrelevant comments about how Paul McCartney is just an idiot in general, his music sucks too, how inferior he is to Bono, etc. etc. etc. I am not much of a McCartney fan, but if I wanted to read stuff like that, I would hang out in EYKIW or TBATC instead of here.

anitram said:
I wonder how many people who feel we're ganging up on poor Paul have actually seen the interview we're discussing.

For example, Heather interrupted the Premier of Newfoundland (NOT New Finland, thanks) no less than 40 times! She was so incredibly rude and shrill that it was no different watching her than it is watching Ann Coulter in hystrionics and yet nobody here would defend the latter. And as for Paul, he was seriously misinformed and kept bringing up statistics from the 50s and 60s to predict what may possibly maybe sometimes happen in the future. It was ridiculous. If he put his arguments down on paper and handed it to a college prof, he'd get a failing grade.

They were both ridiculous, and furthermore she was plain embarrassing.

I don't think the criticism of the interview was what the complaints were about. It was more the he's-a-bitter-untalented-old-man-who-hates-Bono-and-all-that-is-good-in-the-world type comments which seemed a bit over the top.

indra said:

I don't think the criticism of the interview was what the complaints were about. It was more the he's-a-bitter-untalented-old-man-who-hates-Bono-and-all-that-is-good-in-the-world type comments which seemed a bit over the top.

Exactly. I never meant this to become a slagging contest on the whole Bono vs. Paul McCartney issue. Ridiculing aspects of the interview itself are okay. I, for one, practically coughed up a lung when McCartney insisted that he was in Newfoundland when he was, in fact, sitting in Prince Edward Island. And McCartney's wife's behaviour was beyond ridiculous. Someone here in St. John's is planning on creating T-shirts reading "I ♣ Heather Mills McCartney." Just goes to show how much this has stirred people up in Newfoundland. :wink:

And great reply, AOD. :up: From what I've seen from my short time in Newfoundland, most people here hold the environment and wildlife in extremely high regard. It's part of the culture. It's not as though the all of the sealers are killing seals because they take sadistic pleasure in it. For some, it really is the difference between being able to put the food on the table themselves, or having to rely on a government cheque to do so. And when the Canadian sealing industry has been deemed acceptable and humane by both the Canadian Veterinary Association and the WWF, I hardly see why these protestors should be getting their panties into a knot. I think I recall reading somewhere that the Veterinary Association claimed the Canadian seal hunt was a positive model for other seal hunts around the world.

I just don't understand it.

biff said:
Right. Well, I do know what I'm talking about, just as much as you do. I am not ignorant, and I am not prejudiced. And I am, in fact, quite intelligent. I'm sure you are as well.

We just don't agree on this. I don't like Paul McCartney, and I haven't for almost 30 years. I have plenty of reasons for that.
I'm sure you have reasons for thinking he's "one of the greatest musicians of our time". I completely do not. Just don't insult me, okay?

Yes you're right of course. Paul was trying to brutally strangle Bono in these photos. Silly of me not to have realised this before.

Paul is clearly the anti-Christ and Bono is the Messiah (of self promotion).

Happy now?

yolland said:
What I said was,

The thread was interesting and informative until it turned into a string of irrelevant comments about how Paul McCartney is just an idiot in general, his music sucks too, how inferior he is to Bono, etc. etc. etc. I am not much of a McCartney fan, but if I wanted to read stuff like that, I would hang out in EYKIW or TBATC instead of here.

Agreed, I will start a new thread in Bang and Clatter.

http://forum.interference.com/t155878.html

Last edited:
lol sorry.

I actually have a lot of respect for McCartney's music and animal activism history but everything about this stunt doesn't serve his cause *today*...be that animal rights and/or ego. Just makes him look stuck in the past and clinging to the things that once made him great.

Although it's probably been great publicity for Newfoundland and Labrador and the tales of ingenuity and progress borne of hardship since the whitecoat ban.

Last edited:
financeguy said:

Yes you're right of course. Paul was trying to brutally strangle Bono in these photos. Silly of me not to have realised this before.

Paul is clearly the anti-Christ and Bono is the Messiah (of self promotion).

Happy now?

Actually, no. You're still being snide and insulting.

Enjoy yourself here in FYM. It's obviously a lovely place to hang out. :wave:

biff said:

Enjoy yourself here in FYM. It's obviously a lovely place to hang out. :wave:

Actually it is a lovely place with interesting and intelligent people. It's probably my favourite or at least one of my favourite forums here. It also generally doesn't have the cattiness many of the other sections have, and that is a major plus.

:)

Every thread on FYM steers off topic. Some very, very far. And many back to the same old topics which had nothing at all to do with the original topic.

So I'm sort of puzzled why such a big deal is being made of this one, but to each his own.

*tries to bring back to original issue*

I also thought the Larry King interview was horrendous, but i was more upset, because i agree with a total ban on seal hunts and i thought the maccas did a real shithouse job on the show, making themselves seem rather foolish and arrogant.

I dont think we should hunt or cull ANY animal groups because there are too many of them or whatnot. Let natural selection weed them out and if some starve they starve, we are not their gods and masters we are co habiters on a joint world. Im sure if the tables were turned and some seals decided to cull a few villages cause there are too many people it would be an issue for us (ok a bit far fetched but im trying here lol)

its not because seals are cute or whateve, its because they shouldnt be killed for no reason. And i totally disagree with the 'hunt to put food on the table' reason. Get another job, or sadly, go on welfare, do some short courses and get another job. I dont think using money as an excuse for killing animals is justifiable. I hear Starbucks is always hiring.

I just think its a tradition that should be banned, but i do agree that the interview was disgusting and heather mills should shut the fsck up hahaha

dazzlingamy said:

I dont think we should hunt or cull ANY animal groups because there are too many of them or whatnot. Let natural selection weed them out and if some starve they starve, we are not their gods and masters we are co habiters on a joint world.

I don't know anything about this seal issue, but let's pretend you tried to apply this arguement here in West Michigan, where our white tail deer population has increased exponentially even with hunting. Natural selection is a mute point because humans have killed off or pushed out all natural predators of the deer. Wolves in Michigan? I don't think so. Also, right now we are in a situation where deer are so overpopulated they are starving. They are suffering terribly from wasting diseases that are dangerous to other species. Hunting, on the other hand, is instant and very VERY tightly controlled by the DNR based on how a "natural" population would exist. We don't hunt to put food on the table (well, actually we do because venison is much healthier than other red meats) because we're not poor, but most of the guys I know donate their meat to local soup kitchens. Sorry but I can't accept that the rights of an animal supercede the rights of humans to be able to eat and make a living.

I see your point, and sadly i understand the need when predators and prey have been unbalanced by humans. I guess i just have high hopes one day we can let animals be free and instead of taking over their land, let them live within ours.

But i dont agree that animals should be killed to feed poor people. They can eat pasta and beans and bread etc. They dont need meat, if they need protein they can eat beans and spinach etc. I just think its not justifiable, and there ar eother ways to make a living and not starve.

Everyones entitled to their opinion on McCartneys choice of social activism, maybe the Seal hunt is wrong , maybe it's too important economically to the region to ban. Same with his music, his solo career is definatley spotty.

But If McCartney feels strong enough in this particular cause and wants to use his celebrity to bring attention to it, let him. U2 fans, in particular shouldn't be moaning the fact he is. He wrote a song called "Give Ireland back to the Irish" before Bono was a teenager. Being socially aware isn't patented by Bono and isn't new to McCartney.

:|

And No, I don't think McCartney wants to strangle Bono. In fact they're quite close-Bono was invited to McCartney's Daughters wedding and Both have mentioned in interviews talking on the phone. I love U2 and all but McCartney was in the Beatles, I really don't think he feels threatened by Bono

:huh:

Last edited:
dazzlingamy said:
But i dont agree that animals should be killed to feed poor people.

Only middle class or rich people, eh? :wink:

dazzlingamy said:
i just have high hopes one day we can let animals be free and instead of taking over their land, let them live within ours.

No to pick on you at all since I am an animal lover too, but we can't even accomplish that with people let alone animals (think native populations as an obvious example).

Animals need their protectors too to keep things in balance but the east coast seals had their time in the public spotlight with ensuing protective measures along with whales 20-30 years ago.

GibsonGirl said:

Just goes to show how much this has stirred people up in Newfoundland. :wink:

We can be a passionate bunch, which I'm sure you're observing closely, with interest ;) We're also a sensitive bunch, and often get defensive when our pride is wounded. I'm probably not the best representative of the "rant and roar" kind of person that would make a shirt like you mentioned, but I can understand it.

dazzlingamy said:

its not because seals are cute or whateve, its because they shouldnt be killed for no reason. And i totally disagree with the 'hunt to put food on the table' reason. Get another job, or sadly, go on welfare, do some short courses and get another job. I dont think using money as an excuse for killing animals is justifiable. I hear Starbucks is always hiring.

Starbucks? Well, there's just one of those here...thank god. It's so interesting that you mention that place in the same breath as a traditional hunt--as if corporate America can somehow remedy the situation.

Here's the deal: the hunt deeply offends only because we can see it with our eyes, on television. Like McCartney said, he's been watching for forty years. If we had cameras in slaughterhouses, we'd all be just as sickened by those images, if not more so.

The hunt takes place for a fraction of the year. For the most part, it supplements fishers' earnings, and is not the sole source of their income. But it is a very important component of the economy, and it does keep people here.

I can actually envision and end to the hunt in the future, as the regular eaters of seal meat are going down in numbers. I don't eat it, but my older relatives do enjoy it occasionally. The hunt is partly a vestige from the past, but it's also seeking a foothold in today. As GibsonGirl mentioned earlier, the hunt also produces oil that's sold in the form of health capsules to reduce heart disease, etc.

But again, it's all about the visuals, really. If the seals were out of sight, and off camera, there wouldn't even be a discussion.

Back
Top Bottom