Thoughts on Paul McCartney's criticism of the Atlantic Canadian seal hunt? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 PM
Fair enough. Paul McCartney is just a human being with shortcomings like the rest of us. Perhaps we are taking too much pleasure in dwelling on the negative and ignoring the positive. I admire Heather Mills McCartney's advocacy of amputees and campaigning against landmines, those things are lethal and someone has to oppose them.

Old 03-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #32
Refugee

bump...bang...Crash!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:00 AM
It was the Lennon, not the McCartney

that wrote most of those lyrics we remember.

It's really puzzling to me, that McCartney, with all his wealth and stage, chooses PETA to toot his horn.

Where is Ted Nugent when you need him?

*see my previous post on the number of people starving to death every day*

*just another silly post*
Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:30 AM
"But Danny, you don't have to invite me...I'm here, in Newfoundland."

That's what bugged me the most. Ignorance is not bliss when you're on the receiving end.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

You don't know what you're taking about.

Overall the ignorance and prejudice against one of the greatest musicians of our time displayed on this thread is quite disturbing particularly coming from people I considered intellgent.
Right. Well, I do know what I'm talking about, just as much as you do. I am not ignorant, and I am not prejudiced. And I am, in fact, quite intelligent. I'm sure you are as well.

We just don't agree on this. I don't like Paul McCartney, and I haven't for almost 30 years. I have plenty of reasons for that.
I'm sure you have reasons for thinking he's "one of the greatest musicians of our time". I completely do not. Just don't insult me, okay?
Old 03-07-2006, 09:17 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
As strong animal rights advocates, the McCartneys would probably be opposed to the seal hunt in any case, regardless of what information they had about it.
That touches on an interesting point on how people balance (or fail to balance) taking a general position on a topic, and evaluating a specific instance. By testing a general principle against specific instances, you refine the principle (or, take the easy route to say "this case is just different").

In all likelihood, McCartney has failed to think through the concept of "animal rights".
Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder how many people who feel we're ganging up on poor Paul have actually seen the interview we're discussing.

For example, Heather interrupted the Premier of Newfoundland (NOT New Finland, thanks) no less than 40 times! She was so incredibly rude and shrill that it was no different watching her than it is watching Ann Coulter in hystrionics and yet nobody here would defend the latter. And as for Paul, he was seriously misinformed and kept bringing up statistics from the 50s and 60s to predict what may possibly maybe sometimes happen in the future. It was ridiculous. If he put his arguments down on paper and handed it to a college prof, he'd get a failing grade.

They were both ridiculous, and furthermore she was plain embarrassing.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #38
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:00 PM
What I said was,
Quote:
critiquing facts and overblown rhetoric is one thing, but overall this thread seems to have turned into a pointless gangbang that has little to do with the original topic.
The thread was interesting and informative until it turned into a string of irrelevant comments about how Paul McCartney is just an idiot in general, his music sucks too, how inferior he is to Bono, etc. etc. etc. I am not much of a McCartney fan, but if I wanted to read stuff like that, I would hang out in EYKIW or TBATC instead of here.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I wonder how many people who feel we're ganging up on poor Paul have actually seen the interview we're discussing.

For example, Heather interrupted the Premier of Newfoundland (NOT New Finland, thanks) no less than 40 times! She was so incredibly rude and shrill that it was no different watching her than it is watching Ann Coulter in hystrionics and yet nobody here would defend the latter. And as for Paul, he was seriously misinformed and kept bringing up statistics from the 50s and 60s to predict what may possibly maybe sometimes happen in the future. It was ridiculous. If he put his arguments down on paper and handed it to a college prof, he'd get a failing grade.

They were both ridiculous, and furthermore she was plain embarrassing.
I don't think the criticism of the interview was what the complaints were about. It was more the he's-a-bitter-untalented-old-man-who-hates-Bono-and-all-that-is-good-in-the-world type comments which seemed a bit over the top.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

I don't think the criticism of the interview was what the complaints were about. It was more the he's-a-bitter-untalented-old-man-who-hates-Bono-and-all-that-is-good-in-the-world type comments which seemed a bit over the top.
Exactly. I never meant this to become a slagging contest on the whole Bono vs. Paul McCartney issue. Ridiculing aspects of the interview itself are okay. I, for one, practically coughed up a lung when McCartney insisted that he was in Newfoundland when he was, in fact, sitting in Prince Edward Island. And McCartney's wife's behaviour was beyond ridiculous. Someone here in St. John's is planning on creating T-shirts reading "I ♣ Heather Mills McCartney." Just goes to show how much this has stirred people up in Newfoundland.

And great reply, AOD. From what I've seen from my short time in Newfoundland, most people here hold the environment and wildlife in extremely high regard. It's part of the culture. It's not as though the all of the sealers are killing seals because they take sadistic pleasure in it. For some, it really is the difference between being able to put the food on the table themselves, or having to rely on a government cheque to do so. And when the Canadian sealing industry has been deemed acceptable and humane by both the Canadian Veterinary Association and the WWF, I hardly see why these protestors should be getting their panties into a knot. I think I recall reading somewhere that the Veterinary Association claimed the Canadian seal hunt was a positive model for other seal hunts around the world.

I just don't understand it.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
Right. Well, I do know what I'm talking about, just as much as you do. I am not ignorant, and I am not prejudiced. And I am, in fact, quite intelligent. I'm sure you are as well.

We just don't agree on this. I don't like Paul McCartney, and I haven't for almost 30 years. I have plenty of reasons for that.
I'm sure you have reasons for thinking he's "one of the greatest musicians of our time". I completely do not. Just don't insult me, okay?
Yes you're right of course. Paul was trying to brutally strangle Bono in these photos. Silly of me not to have realised this before.

Paul is clearly the anti-Christ and Bono is the Messiah (of self promotion).

Happy now?
Old 03-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
What I said was,

The thread was interesting and informative until it turned into a string of irrelevant comments about how Paul McCartney is just an idiot in general, his music sucks too, how inferior he is to Bono, etc. etc. etc. I am not much of a McCartney fan, but if I wanted to read stuff like that, I would hang out in EYKIW or TBATC instead of here.

Agreed, I will start a new thread in Bang and Clatter.

http://forum.interference.com/t155878.html
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #43
Refugee

bump...bang...Crash!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 03-07-2006, 01:31 PM   #45
Refugee

lol sorry.

I actually have a lot of respect for McCartney's music and animal activism history but everything about this stunt doesn't serve his cause *today*...be that animal rights and/or ego. Just makes him look stuck in the past and clinging to the things that once made him great.

Although it's probably been great publicity for Newfoundland and Labrador and the tales of ingenuity and progress borne of hardship since the whitecoat ban.