Thoughts on Paul McCartney's criticism of the Atlantic Canadian seal hunt? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 06:49 PM
I think McCartney's ego as THE living music legend has taken quite a beating from you-know-who and this is just another rather pathetic (in a juvenile bully sort of way) attempt to remind people of his greatness.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

If there's anyone who should stick to music, it's McCartney.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Have you heard some of his recent output? Like that heinous Freedom song he sang at the Superbowl a couple of years ago?

I'm not sure what he should stick to, but music may not be it either at this point in time.

McCartney has been an irritating, bitter, petty old fool for a long time who has carried a chip on his shoulder most of his life. I don't know if it's because somewhere deep inside he feels that without John he'd still be bagging groceries in Liverpool or what, but I wish to God he'd go away and STFU.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:16 PM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Paul didn't accept the invitation to have Q104 (Halifax radio station)for a day so I don't like him.

I loved it on the news somebody said about him being here that everyone should go out and burn his records. Made me laugh.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:03 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy
I think McCartney's ego as THE living music legend has taken quite a beating from you-know-who and this is just another rather pathetic (in a juvenile bully sort of way) attempt to remind people of his greatness.
I think you're right there. Have you noticed the body language in recent pictures of McCartney and Bono? He looks all nice and friendly, but in most of them he's trying to physically dominate. In several he appears to almost be throttling him, with his arm around his neck. He doesn't seem like a very nice person to me.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Have you heard some of his recent output? Like that heinous Freedom song he sang at the Superbowl a couple of years ago?

I'm not sure what he should stick to, but music may not be it either at this point in time.

McCartney has been an irritating, bitter, petty old fool for a long time who has carried a chip on his shoulder most of his life. I don't know if it's because somewhere deep inside he feels that without John he'd still be bagging groceries in Liverpool or what, but I wish to God he'd go away and STFU.
Oh, that Freedom song made me want to barf. I'm not praising the guy's music, I'm commenting on the absurdity of his pontificating. At least I don't have to buy his records.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:19 PM
Great thread, GG. Are you sure you're not Canadian?

I think we’re living in an age where many of us would rather be entertained than informed. This show, and the hoopla we see every year surrounding the hunt are great examples of this.

Instead of addressing the atrocities of international overfishing, or the problem of supertankers that spill their bilge into the very waters the McCartneys were photographed on, they chose the sexy whitecoat seal as their cause. The reality is, this cause was probably chosen for them, through an animal rights group that feeds off of celebrity power to fill its coffers and justify its existence. Sealing is probably much less barbaric than the various other methods of processing animals in slaughterhouses around the world. Thus, McCartney’s comment on how the hunt is a “mark against the Canadian Character” is naive more than anything.

It’s also a bit of a modern luxury to complain about the harvesting of animals. It used to be that we just did it simply to survive. Contemplating why we do it is often a convenience of the privileged, and those who are distanced from a tangible connection to the wild. In fact, many Newfoundlanders are now completely removed from the time when we had to hunt to survive. Now, like others around the world, we can read about people who still hunt and watch them on television. I’m in that bubble of watchers, a couple of generations removed from hunting for necessity. I’m fortunate to have the memories of my grandmother to give me perspective on my heritage. She tells me how her father dreaded heading out to the seal hunt every year—but he did it to put food on the table. Along with worrying about his own safety on the shifting floor of ocean ice, he also despaired over the killing of animals…there was no joy involved.

Despite my distance from the hunt, there are still people today here who rely on it to pay the bills, as GibsonGirl says. We can criticize them, but it’s highly hypocritical when you consider where the rest of our food comes from. For example, how often do we stop to think of the hormones that are injected into beef, or the overly-cramped existence of chickens and turkeys? I’m a huge animal lover--as are many Newfoundlanders and Labradorians. We may just have more cats, dogs, and gerbils per capita than any other territory on earth. We’re also surrounded by animals when we venture into in the wild (and in this province, it’s almost all wild). Whether it’s a moose, rabbit, partridge, or a seal, there's inherent respect for all creatures—including the ones that have helped us survive.

I’ll admit that a big part of me dreams of the day when, globally, we don’t use animals at all for food. It’s an idea I like very much--but I’m also aware that it’s coming from a slightly naïve man who has never had to hunt a day in his life to survive. (I’m also very fond of roast beef sub sandwiches.)

In spite of my hypocritical animal love, attacking the seal hunt looks less like sincere conservation, and more like convenient window shopping for a cause.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
He should just consider retirement.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by biff

I think you're right there. Have you noticed the body language in recent pictures of McCartney and Bono? He looks all nice and friendly, but in most of them he's trying to physically dominate. In several he appears to almost be throttling him, with his arm around his neck. He doesn't seem like a very nice person to me.
lol I didn't notice pics but I did notice Bono's nasty and brilliant swipe at McCartney on 60 Minutes after having to share the opening stage at Live8.

BONO: It's only rock 'n' roll where people are burnt out at 40. I want to see what can happen with a band if they keep their integrity, keep their commitment to each other, and can we create extraordinary music. You know, what would have happened — and I am not making comparison because I don't feel worthy to touch their hem — but what would have happened if the Beatles lived and didn't, you know, disappear up their own arses, but actually stayed in contact with the world, were awake, didn't let their money buy them off, you know? I'm still hungry. I still want a lot out of music.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

He should just consider retirement.
I agree.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:49 PM
I don't like McCartney bashing.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:27 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by biff
You don't know what you're taking about.

Overall the ignorance and prejudice against one of the greatest musicians of our time displayed on this thread is quite disturbing particularly coming from people I considered intellgent.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #28
Refugee

You're right. It would be more fun to pick on Michael Jackson for stealing McCartney's songs.

Then maybe Bono could steal them back!

Wait...

Did I just compare Michael Jackson to Charles Manson?

I'm a complete racist asshole. God help me.

Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

As strong animal rights advocates, the McCartneys would probably be opposed to the seal hunt in any case, regardless of what information they had about it. That's their prerogative, you can certainly critique their facts if you like, but they have a right to their opinions and anyhow it's not like they're in a position to force the Canadian government to take some particular course of action. They're just spokespeople. And yes, PETA does tend to go for the emotionally symbolic issues rather than the systemic ones, which is probably why their influence has remained marginal--but then nobody really wants to listen to less exciting stuff like the mainstream animal agriculture practices angelordevil mentioned.

Admittedly Heather Mills McCartney can be a bit of a loose cannon, on the other hand she's done some effective campaigning work on behalf of amputees and anti-landmines groups. Ditto for her husband I suppose. I'm inclined to agree with financeguy--critiquing facts and overblown rhetoric is one thing, but overall this thread seems to have turned into a pointless gangbang that has little to do with the original topic. Save it for The Bang And The Clatter.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I'm inclined to agree with financeguy--critiquing facts and overblown rhetoric is one thing, but overall this thread seems to have turned into a pointless gangbang that has little to do with the original topic. Save it for The Bang And The Clatter.