Thoughts about Bono and Paul O'Neill visiting Africa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FizzingWhizzbees

ONE love, blood, life
I was just wondering if people here have any thoughts about some of the articles in the media about Bono and Paul O'Neill's visit to Ghana.

One of the issues I've read about a lot in the media is foreign businesses operating in poorer countries. I think a major problem with this is that companies aren't required to pay any taxes to the government of the country they're operating in (this is usually because it helps to attract businesses to the area). Keep in mind that these countries are often too poor to provide any kind of health care or education to their people, in fact they're often too poor to provide things we take for granted like running water. If businesses are able to make huge profits from operating in these countries, I think it's wrong that they make no contribution to the country. These businesses would already save a huge amount of money from operating in poorer countries as wages are very low and land is very cheap to purchase, just to name two examples. They shouldn't be allowed to save even more money at the expense of the people of the country they operate in. The income governments would get from rich businesses would save lives, surely that should be a priority.

Anyway, there are lots of other things to think about on this subject but I need to go to class so I'll leave it there and I'd love to hear people's thoughts on the subject.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Another thought to add to the mix...you don't think providing JOBS is a contribution?

Absolutely it's a positive contribution. Providing that people work in decent conditions and are protected by the law from exploitation and dangerous working conditions. Sadly that's not always the case, particularly in factory jobs...we've all heard the horror stories about "sweatshops" and that's a reality for far too many people in this world.

I wasn't necessarily arguing that western-owned businesses should be prevented from working in poorer countries. I was arguing that if they do so, it should work primarily to the benefit of the people of that country, not solely in the interests of the business.

Back
Top Bottom