Thought and Language and other Miscellaneous Philosophical Discussion - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Stemming from my last one, one of my concerns, or just thoughts is that...

Not everyone is designed, or made for the same thing. That's why we have actors, scientists, lawyers, teachers, etc, etc... and garbage men and everything else.

I have a sort of "idealistic utopia" in mind, where all the people of the world are working together. The thing is, there has to be a direction; time over time has show that stagnation leads to decline, decay.

So like, even if everyone in the world was buddies, we'd need something to do, something more than "just living day by day", you know?

We'd need to explore the frontiers of earth and space.

But in one way, we are already doing that now.....

*sigh*

actually, nevermind....... it would be far too............. complicated to draw it out. But it's kinda simple, yet not.

Maybe I'll develop the idea over time. Or see it's errors, who knows.....

=======

there was some other subject, but.... it escapes me currently

Old 11-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've come to a point, well, I've been here for a time...... but........

Essentially, I've got a firm grasp on my philosophy of life, how how I think about things, of how to keep myself feeling well, of how to get by, of how to do this or that.

And, maybe this is because I'm at such a stable period or something, but............

Honestly, I have no great aspirations. I have some possible ones, but... I have nothing that I *must* accomplish. I'd almost say that I have no real reason to keep living, as there is nothing I feel I need to strive for. But I don't think I'd want to commit suicide, that's totally not "FH's style", so like, don't worry about that.

But...... I don't know. Like........ should I spend my life for other people? I can take care of myself, I KNOW that there really isn't anything I can't deal with, you know?

Should I like volunteer more, or like, work on making something better? That's something I could do. And understanding things makes life interesting....

And then there is love - should I maybe be open to actually having a love, maintaining one, and a family, and raising kids, etc? Traditiona, but I can respect it.

The thing is, I feel like I don't need any of those things

I've lived almost all of my 18 years in an odd state of independance, and most of the time the only company has been myself. So of course, it would seem fitting that I develop a philosophy where I don't need much to be happy, and that is neither right or wrong.

So I guess, once again, I'm negating myself here.

I seem to do that a lot, and therfore, tend to make things unneccesary. One could say, heh, I live a very efficient life. I haven't done much that I didn't need to do, and that's very sincere.

But at the same time, I'm not afraid to. I'm not afraid to die, or to live, or to love. And like, I could chase love and try to see what happens - I've got more than a few options there, like everyone else does. but it's like...... I'd only really want to do that if someone else wanted it, that sort of thing.

God knows I love women and find them to be the most beautiful things on the earth. Look at all my pictures in "hottest chick around". BUt still...... it's like...... It's easy to fall into "wanting a girl", for sex or more of a relationship, and I don't see those things as chalenges either. It would be, if I really wanted one and failed repeatedly, but...... once again.

So, while I've entered a very "ZEN" state of not wanting much, I am concerned that I will become unmotivated and..... like...... ...... completely insignificant. But at the same time, I don't want to be motivated by fear.

So, see all these contradicitons?

ANd really, they don't run through my head all day, they just come up whenever I explain something. I really don't even know what to say. Or if this should be in ZC or this thread, here, in FYM philosophy.

ANd to tell the truth, I'm not really 'dissatisfied'. There is a certain comfortable state of "being" in my life. But I'm still human, I still think that I should be doing something, and then, of course, when I am doing something I would rather I wasn't, etc etc.

So........ I just don't know.

Maybe I should look to find something that really gets my passion, or catches my interest.

I am at peace with myself, and I feel a great confidence and strength coming from my internal serenity. But when I look outward and compare myself with the rest of the world....I don't really know.

Maybe it's just time

A sign that it is time for me to move on, and interact more with other people, like when I go to college and stuff. I wonder - will I get caught up in a simple love affair? I can see that happening. Will I find some quest, scientific of theoretical? maybe. Or maybe I'll just end up working at a desk job all my life? I don't really know.

It's almost like I just want to say

"So... am I just supposed to try to find somethign that will make me feel fufilled or happy? Am I supposed to want, or need, something like that?"

ANd I repeat, I'm not depressed or feeling down.
It's just like...........

' So what do I do now? '

Old 11-29-2005, 04:21 AM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

A bit of a bump, I guess.

Does anyone have a good grasp on Buddhism?
I'm trying to do some research, and answer the question: What is the ultimate goal of buddhism?

I know that's a bit of religion, perhaps. But still. Christianity, perhaps in my ignorance, is easier to understand in that regard. But I don't know enough about Buddhism.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm taking a course called "reason and religion"

anyone have anythoughts on the cosmological arguement / Thomas Aquinas / PSR?

I'm open to some discussion there.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:26 PM
Way out of my field, Jesse. But give me the basic ideas and I'll talk. What are you reading?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:28 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We're starting off with "The Cosmological Argument for the Ecistence of God", which is supported by Thomas Aquinas' "The Five Ways"

The two critiques of this in our book are: "An examination of the Cosmological Argument" - William Rowe
and
"A critique of the Cosmological Argument" - Paul Edwards

I don't know if all of that is really neccesary, but I figure I"ll throw it up there.

I had a hard time with the class at first, because of the PSR (Principle of sufficient reason) logics involved. I would actually get angry in class. But I've come to terms with it, and once the critiques of it came in to play, it got better. Especially PSR....

Now, this has nothing to do with my views on god. I just don't like PSR, and apparently the Cosmological ARgument which uses it so much to justify God's existance. PSR, in my opinion, is such a base and primal thought patter to associate with a "divine being", in my opinion. But then again, I can't be too hard on the early thinkers - they could only know so much.

In fact, that very concept.... "you (or the human race in general) can only know so much at one time..." has a lot of meaning in my life lately, but I won't discuss that right now.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:30 AM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'll get more into it tomorrow, when I write my paper and stuff, and have more time/a better knowledge of the subject so that I can discuss it here properly. Hopefully, if I know what i'm talking about well enough, I can explain it here.

I suppose that would be........ a fair test of how well I know the material.