This quote reminds me of Bono - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Normal This quote reminds me of Bono

"I started off by visiting slums where the squalor and destitution were indescribable. Most of the hovels never saw the sun; whole families were crowded into tiny rooms, and slept on the bare ground in dampness, filth and cold.

An unknown world was revealed to me, a world of suffering more horrible than anything I had seen. I longed to snatch these poor creatures from their pitiful conditions, and I was staggered by the immensity of the task. I thought of the incalculable sums spent on wars and on scientific research which resulted in the destruction of humanity, while so many wretched men and women were reduced to subhuman conditions."


That sounds like something Bono would say, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it was his quote. But this was almost 100 years ago! I was reading the autobiography of Prince Felix Yussoupov, a young Russian nobleman who was 21 in 1908 when, helping the poor, he made those observations. I agree, and have heard Bono say similar things, all the money wasted on wars and research for more destruction when so much good could be done for so many. If only the world had learned back then, but it's only gotten worse in the time since

Yussoupov had plans of using his vast fortune, when he inherited it, for the good of the poor and needy in Russia. Sadly, the Revolution deprived him of that chance. He had to flee his homeland for his life, and lost all his estates and money and most of his assets. He could never return to Russia, and it broke his heart to see in the newspapers that the Communists and confiscated and kept his belongings and valuables. He had much less money in exile, but was known in his later years until his dying day in 1967 as a doer of good deeds in whatever form he could.

__________________

__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 01-15-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Re: This quote reminds me of Bono

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
all the money wasted on wars and research for more destruction when so much good could be done for so many. If only the world had learned back then, but it's only gotten worse in the time since
Frustrating, isn't it? I really hope that the coming generations will change that.

That poor man. Good to know that he still managed to try and help people, even after all the crap that happened to him. That's a classic example of a good soul.

And you're right, that is exactly something I could hear Bono saying. I'm glad that there are some people in this world who care about helping others in whatever way possible. And the best part is, with someone like Bono or Felix, they don't have to help people. Felix was rich, and Bono is rich, and they could both just as easily have sat in their comfy homes and not done squat for the less fortunate.

But they didn't. They help people because they want to, because they truly care.

And that's just frickin' awesome. .

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
Old 01-15-2004, 08:44 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 11:22 PM
Re: Re: This quote reminds me of Bono

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel


Frustrating, isn't it? I really hope that the coming generations will change that.

That poor man. Good to know that he still managed to try and help people, even after all the crap that happened to him. That's a classic example of a good soul.

And you're right, that is exactly something I could hear Bono saying. I'm glad that there are some people in this world who care about helping others in whatever way possible. And the best part is, with someone like Bono or Felix, they don't have to help people. Felix was rich, and Bono is rich, and they could both just as easily have sat in their comfy homes and not done squat for the less fortunate.

But they didn't. They help people because they want to, because they truly care.

And that's just frickin' awesome. .

Angela

Exactly. And if more people were like them, there would be no more wars or revolutions, and a lot less suffering.
__________________
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Bono's shades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 5,038
Local Time: 11:22 PM
That's fascinating, Kitten. I'd never even heard of this guy. It's sad that he couldn't use his fortune to help others the way he wanted, but at least he survived the revolution and was able to help on a smaller scale.
__________________
Bono's shades is offline  
Old 01-15-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,641
Local Time: 10:22 PM
"if it wasn't for the good souls, life would not matter."
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 01-16-2004, 02:55 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 10:22 PM
Re: Re: Re: This quote reminds me of Bono

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Exactly. And if more people were like them, there would be no more wars or revolutions, and a lot less suffering.
.

And ditto to the other two posts as well. .

Angela
__________________

__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com